• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 05:59 PM

I now have a baitcaster that I can mount on my 'noodle rod' and conceivably use it for float fishing. But there is no trigger thingey for my index finger to hold unto. I could conceivably do a Red Green type of fix to mount some sort of trigger grip, but what is the 'proper way'. Are there float rods sold with those triggers? Do I need to buy (yet) another rod if I want to try using the baitcaster?

Thx 

#2 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:45 PM

Use it as is !

#3 ChromeAddict

ChromeAddict

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 08:14 PM

If it is a spinning rod, it will probably not work a well as you would like, mainly due to the guides and reel seat. If you are looking for a baitcaster style float rod, Rapala has an 11' model in their R-Type float and drift series. Raven also has a spiral wrapped baitcaster in their RPX series, but it is quite pricey. You don't need to buy another rod, but it would probably be easier to float fish if you did. 

#4 Slickrick

Slickrick

Sunfish

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 11:12 PM

In a moment of madness I bought the loomis imx 11.4.  Tough to find one longer unless you go custom.  I like switch between my pin and bait caster depending where I fish.  I have a 10.6 convergence ill give u a great deal on.

#5 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 06:35 PM

Thx for the tips, guys. SR---I might be interested later but I'm going to try a few practice casts with my normal rods first.

#6 Fishheads

Fishheads

Float Fishing Superstore

• Active Members
  • 754 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:06 PM

sometimes unorthodox methods are the best methods. Give what ever you are thinking in your head a go. Experiment and let us know how it works! 

#7 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:03 AM

I'm not sure how unorthodox it is. I have seen guys on the river with baitcasters but didn't notice in detail what sort of rod they had. I was thinking of it now because of a guy on another thread who was recommending it.

#8 TroutHunter

TroutHunter

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:07 PM

I would say try it

#9 Kingchaser

Kingchaser

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:30 PM

You have a spinning rod. They do make baitcasting float rods. I would think u might run he risk of snapping the rod as its not made to be fished upside down.

#10 Troutslayor

Troutslayor

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 11:56 AM

Hey knuguy, guys have been using baitcastors float fishing for a long time, mostly on big, fast rivers but those are rods designed for baitcastors. Rods have what's called a spine, which is like the backbone, this is on the side opposite to to the guides. Using it upside down, like you would be doing if you used a baitcastor on a spinning ( your noodle rod) puts preassure on that spine weakening the rod, and shortening the life of your rod!. Some the best float fisherman I know use a spinning reel, and that would be my advice to you. Hope this info helped, and anytime you have a question, just ask! Good luck my friend,
Troutslayor

#11 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 12:33 PM

Hey Knuguy...a baitcaster reel works better with a baitcaster rod...same with spin reel to spin rod.... I tried a baitcasting rod with a spinning reel once and it doesn't cast well...

#12 Chunk

Chunk

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 08:58 AM

Hey knuguy, guys have been using baitcastors float fishing for a long time, mostly on big, fast rivers but those are rods designed for baitcastors. Rods have what's called a spine, which is like the backbone, this is on the side opposite to to the guides. Using it upside down, like you would be doing if you used a baitcastor on a spinning ( your noodle rod) puts preassure on that spine weakening the rod, and shortening the life of your rod!. Some the best float fisherman I know use a spinning reel, and that would be my advice to you. Hope this info helped, and anytime you have a question, just ask! Good luck my friend,
Troutslayor

Complete nonsense with re to rods and spines.

You know nothing of what you speak.   :(

#13 tombo

tombo

Sunfish

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 17 July 2016 - 01:09 PM

Find a local rod builder, Im sure he could help you out.

#14 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:33 AM

Complete nonsense with re to rods and spines.

You know nothing of what you speak.   :(

'Back bone is determined by the dia of the rod and the thickness. i.e the OD and the ID.

#15 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 23 July 2016 - 10:50 AM

You can build it either on the spine or opposite. Offers different performance

#16 Chunk

Chunk

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 08:43 AM

'Back bone is determined by the dia of the rod and the thickness. i.e the OD and the ID.

Not!

#17 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:27 AM

Knuguy every blank has a spine. If you flex a blank it will naturally kind of rotate till its bends along that spine. Guides are tied on the spine or opposite depending on what you are going for. I'm no expert but that's what I understand. It's more so the taper of the blank that determines the bend (action ) and the thickness /type of graphite and the diameter of tube that makes the power

#18 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:38 AM

Your spinning style float rod will work with a bc. But not preferable as most spinning rods have high frame guides and are built for the guides to sit under. Bc rods have low frame guides and no big collecter guide nearest the handle. Also most bc rigs are set up for heavier rigs (10g+ float etc)as it can be somewhat difficult to cast super light rigs on a bc

#19 Chunk

Chunk

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 July 2016 - 12:56 PM

As a builder with many years experience the truth is spining a rod is at best a over exaggerated phenomena. 

Yes there is a spine, but building on or opposite of it has little bearing on rod performance, no one fishes a rod on a perfect 180* plane.

Building it on the straightest access is what matters, usually putting the greatest curve upwards to offset gravity so to speak.

#20 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:08 PM

Not!

Prove me wrong!