• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TimShovel

TimShovel

Earthworm

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:20 AM

I was walking around Cabela's the other day and noticed the live target lures. They are beautiful for sure, some of the most life-like in appearance and action i've seen. But I was wondering are they worth the money? Especially when a lot of our major water bodies are so murky. If anyone has had equal or better results with LiveTarget to say Rapala, Storm or any other hard bait brands that would greatly appreciated. 

Thanks, 

Tim 

#2 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:13 AM

I love their lipless rattle baits . Other companies make similar products but its up to you if you wana spend the $$ . I would rather fish in stained water any day .

#3 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 12:47 PM

No. There are many other Lures on the market that are more effective for half the price. Yes the look pretty and the concept is interesting, I have tried them and found them to be no more effective then other lures. I much more prefer LUCKY CRAFT lures to any other company There cross blade is been one of my most producing lures. Also you can never go wrong with MEPPS lures tried, tested and always effective.

#4 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 01:13 PM

Remember what animal you are trying to catch. fish. With a brain the size of a peanut. imo they see movement and either they attack or they don't and I don't think a fancy lure is going to change their mind. I have had great success on smallies on cheap cotton cordells while I can't get a bite on a rapala. Fish don't give a crap, but it's up to you if it's worth it or not.

#5 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:28 PM

x2 on Mepps, if I was fishing a tournament I'd go mepps #2 or #3 over a LiveTarget in any conditions, for any species. 

#6 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 07:00 PM

If you're talking about the multi-jointed live series. Yes they will catch fish. Would i spend $$? No. I had 2 packs as gift last year and I caught Pike on the perch imitation. Just to try it but for the price my friend bought it, Id rather have it as a tackle box bling. They are good for bass & pike.

#7 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 08:27 PM

I'm cheap and can't swim very well, and for those two reason, i would rather not have to baby my lures when fishing and don't want to go for a swim after it when it gets snagged.

#8 TimShovel

TimShovel

Earthworm

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 08:44 PM

Thanks guys, I was thinking much of the same, I had been wondering about them for awhile, had bought a few a year ago, but forgot about it until walking through Cabela's. 0 luck on the baits. My papa and sis were fishing last summer on a pier, myself and my papa were throwing beautiful crank baits and swim baits, Rapala, Cotton, my first live target and a couple of storm baits, 0 fish, sister throwing a 4" yellow 1/4 ounce jig, two foot pike. At the end of the day, it all boils down to what the fish are after I guess. Thanks again for the input guys. 

#9 Slickrick

Slickrick

Sunfish

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 09:55 PM

I have seen the perch catch a lot of fish, and a few friends swear by them.  First cast with a baitball series and I caught 2 smallmouth on the same lure.  That being said the only live targets I own I got for free.

#10 fishing89

fishing89

Perch

• Active Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 10:42 PM

red and white for pike has never failed me

#11 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 11:48 PM

The only thing I can swear by that works really good for pike is the daiwa SP minnow. If there's pike...better hold tight.

#12 BoomerMuskoka

BoomerMuskoka

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:57 PM

my experience with live target lures is limited. I did try the frog against a black spro frog,for bass, i caught more fish on the spro frog, the fish i did manage to catch on the live target frog completely inhaled it,, to the point it was difficult to get it out of the fishes mouth. 

spro caught more fish, and they didnt seem to want to swallow it as deep as the live target.  

#13 buckhorn-bassin

buckhorn-bassin

Sunfish

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 10:26 PM

my experience with live target lures is limited. I did try the frog against a black spro frog,for bass, i caught more fish on the spro frog, the fish i did manage to catch on the live target frog completely inhaled it,, to the point it was difficult to get it out of the fishes mouth.

spro caught more fish, and they didnt seem to want to swallow it as deep as the live target.

Really eh? I've tired the spro frog the past 2 summer and ended up going back to the live target frog mid summer both times. I've never had trouble catching fish on a LT frog. Paint comes off too easy at times only down fall