• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:24 PM

cf-lg.jpgexperience-1.jpg  flasher.jpg

Fish Finder & Flasher - Garmin STRIKER 4 Portable

https://buy.garmin.c...prod543740.html

http://www.basspro.c...uct/1509231009/

The price is 200 USD and is attractive.

It's a new model, and it seems not on the canadian market yet.

Still not in stock at basspro - Available for Backorder

Called them and the price is ~ 260 CAD

I am asking if anyone will purchase it, please express your opinion about this item.

Thanks

#2 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:36 AM

I know budget is a huge thing when it comes to ice fishing. Flashers are the way to go and I am so impressed with vexilar and marcum flashers.

#3 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:52 AM

Why should this blow our panties off, lowrance has been producing a unit in the elite 4 series for many years that is basically the same thing.

Ill agree with the above statement made buy Alwayscatching, I can not see a world in which I would prefer a digital unit to a mechanical flasher and that is coming from someone who has spent time on water with some of the best digital flashers on the market (LX series from marcum). Not only are mechanical flashers lag-less but have no issues in cold temperatures and are much more efficiently ran on battery then a digital display.

My 2c

#4 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 01:49 PM

I personally know more than 5 ppl who own the lx series from marcum and never once heard that they dont operate in extreme cold weather.  There is no lag on the digial display and never heard of anyone running out of battery on the ice. 

Also if I remember correctly (and I know I do), it was IR4J who recommended splurging on the digital unit  :lol:

#5 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:49 PM

I personally know more than 5 ppl who own the lx series from marcum and never once heard that they dont operate in extreme cold weather.  There is no lag on the digial display and never heard of anyone running out of battery on the ice. 

Also if I remember correctly (and I know I do), it was IR4J who recommended splurging on the digital unit  :lol:

It is common knowledge that lx series has issues in cold weather... An LCD screen (liquid crystal display) can freeze, And im sure you can find that information with a simple google search.

Im not talking about a single day on ice, as you know steel bunny I often spend weekends at the cottage where I enjoy the convenience of only bringing one battery and not having to worry about it over multiple days.

The lag comment was more so for the conventional fish finders then a purpose built unit.

I believe our conversation went more like "splurge on a dual beam unit, you will find the digital easier to use because you have multiple screens" I said lx5 from the start for performance. 

#6 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 03:48 PM

Light hearted response!  You must like me : )  I guess our experiences have been different!

#7 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 08:30 PM

Even with only a few ice seasons under my belt, i'd disagree with the above recommendations about a flasher over a digital display. This is an agree to disagree conversation as there's thousands of these discussions online.

I've had zero lag issues in the cold temps and i went out in ridiculous temps last year. Even though LCD has the word "liquid" in it, it's not going to freeze but slow down because it inherits the states of both a liquid and solid due to it's composition being in the middle of those two states. An ipod left in your car overnight will lag initially until it warms up but then is perfectly fine. If you're going to be standing outside without a heated shelter for the entire day in -30C then "maybe" that's a different discussion, but even then i'd be hard pressed to believe it'll lag as it's still working and generates heat which will keep those components sufficiently warm. 

The battery on my Lowrance was solid and easily stretched over a few days of heavy use without requiring a charge. 

I can't bring myself to stare at those flashing lights on a flasher. Again, personal preference.

This is pretty much what every conversation of flasher vs non-flasher looks like lol. I'd suggest look at them on the ice in person.. fish with people and see how they behave and go after what you think you'd want. Looking at the chase/streak of the fishing coming up on my digital display is amazing and for that alone flashers aren't my thing. 

#8 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:55 AM

Hey at the end of the day it's all preferences and people have budgets. I just prefer the flashers. LX series are amazing. I did see a humminbird ice 45 on kijiji for 200 bucks or something not long ago. Also you can rent them now.

#9 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:09 AM

Totally with ya man. After all, either way you're 100 times better than nothing and fishing blind on the ice.

#10 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 10:39 AM

I can't bring myself to stare at those flashing lights on a flasher. Again, personal preference.

Same here! I guess it's personal pref but also depends on the type of fishing. I like fishing w/o a hut and being able to glance around at the scenery and and other fish.........er....folks.  

#11 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:33 PM

I'm on the side of sonar over flasher, I started with the Ice 55 and then sold it to buy a Hummingbird 385 as well as a Helix 5. One of the main advantages of the sonar is the history in the display, with a flasher I find it much more difficult to distinguish between interference and a fish because the marks can look very similar. With a sonar a fish will be an obvious line while interference will just be little dots in the history.

#12 LuisFisher

LuisFisher

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:54 PM

I'm using Humminbird ICE 35 portable flasher, it's great, here is my review: Humminbird ICE 35 Portable Flasher Review

#13 ihtus

ihtus

Sunfish

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 10:02 AM

thanks everyone for posting.

Decided to use my current boat fish finder Lowrance Elite-4x HDI

by getting Lowrance PPP-18I Ice Kit - http://radioworld.ca...18i-p-8874.html

#14 LuisFisher

LuisFisher

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 08:00 AM

New review for Garmin Striker 4, it's the best fish finder for kayaks in 2016: http://fishfindersel...riker-4-review/

#15 brandan77

brandan77

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 02:00 AM

Garmin striker 4 is an amazing device. If you don't mind the 3.5 inch display, then you should totally check the Striker 4. You can check the Garmin Striker 4 Review

#16 RickyLopez

RickyLopez

Earthworm

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:30 AM

Have you checked deeper smart sonar or raymarine dragonfly series. Garmin 4 is good but still lacks behind in some departments. I think in this modest budgest you should compromise on display unit and get a wireless unit like deepr smart and see results on your smart phone. As display unit is taken out you get more features into your fish finder.

#17 Wpgfisherman99

Wpgfisherman99

Earthworm

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 11:24 PM

I just bought a Garmin 4 for $50.00 at Costco ... Im looking for way's to set up for Ice fishing .. Does anyone have pictures of there Set up.. How big of a change is the Ice ducer to what it comes with thanks...