• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ChromeAddict

ChromeAddict

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:15 PM

Ok, I was out pinning today and my reel wouldn't start up. I was having to pull the line to get the reel to match the current. Is this normal? The reel is a Raven Matrix Special Edition 4.75". Is there anything I can do to make it start up itself, or is it something that comes with higher end reels? The current was pretty quick, definitely not frog water. 

#2 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:33 PM

check for dirt, or sand, check the bearings, change em out for abec 7s if ya can.  if its dirt, take a q-tip and clean inside the spool cylinder, around the spindle and backplate.

check to make sure the bearings are clean and have lubrication, or that you haven't lost the seal on them.  lots of how-to videos on you tube for this process

#3 RiverRuns

RiverRuns

Sunfish

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:34 PM

Should not happen. Sometimes in the winter you get ice build up between the spool and the reel frame, but with warm weather today, that was probably not the case. Either way, take the reel apart and see if something prevents it from spinning. Other culprit could be the line; The wraps sort of get embedded, and the line does not come off freely..sometimes the case right after you fight a fish on a long, tight line. Let the float drift downriver a good ways and make sure it gets wound up evenly and not too tight. Bearings could be the culprit on a really cold day, but if you've fished in cold temps before and everything was ok, it's probably not the bearings.
My guess is the line.

#4 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:38 PM

Take the spool off and give it a wipe down, you may find particles in crucial spots like between the spool and backplate. Put it back together, spin it, if it doesn't help you're probably gonna have to go deeper, into the bearings.

#5 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:01 PM

line could be it as well, my bet is either dirt or line

#6 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:08 AM

You may have the spool nut tightened too much .

#7 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:44 AM

clean up...might have dirt, sand or anything hard and small that got caught up on the spool...

#8 lucario

lucario

Sunfish

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 12:56 PM

yah clean it up i had a nice penn spinning combo and there was a littel bit of sand i didnt clean it up and it  ate my berings  so i use baitcaster now