• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Troutslayor

Troutslayor

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 11:05 PM

Tip #1...(Float size and style) The ability to read your float is more important than a floats weight in grams!..if you cant tell the difference between a hit and a boulder bang float weight,size,style won't matter!. Try a couple styles in runs that you know don't have fish but do have different bottoms, boulders etc....and watch how the float reacts, this can help you learn which style you like and are confident using. When you find the right float stick to it if possiable, two sizes is all you need for most situations(one for big fast runs, and one for general use), the latter is more for most of our rivers. How you rig it is important too, but that's a tip coming soon!...good luck my friends!

Troutslayor

#2 Troutslayor

Troutslayor

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 11:45 PM

Tip #1...(Float size and style) The ability to read your float is more important than a floats weight in grams!..if you cant tell the difference between a hit and a boulder bang float weight,size,style won't matter!. Try a couple styles in runs that you know don't have fish but do have different bottoms, boulders etc....and watch how the float reacts, this can help you learn which style you like and are confident using. When you find the right float stick to it if possiable, two sizes is all you need for most situations(one for big fast runs, and one for general use), the latter is more for most of our rivers. How you rig it is important too, but that's a tip coming soon!...good luck my friends!
Troutslayor

Let me correct the above post, reading your float is just as important as size and style, its a skill that is important for the less experienced float fisherman.....

#3 Troutslayor

Troutslayor

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 12:56 AM

If you decide to use flies while float fishing, here's a good tip when deciding what flies to carry......spring calls for smaller sizes in light brown gradually getting darker and larger as seasons progress, come winter your larger drk brown to black patterns get the nod!...Remember this is merely a guidline or starting off point, don't be afraid mix it up on tough days!.....good luck!
TS

#4 James5354

James5354

Sunfish

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 12:29 PM

Hey Troutslayor, are you just answering your own Q's and A's? :lol:

#5 Troutslayor

Troutslayor

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:03 PM

No, not at all......just trying to share a few things that helped me be a successful river fisherman and guide, and always want others too share as well. Questions,stories, all are welcomed.

#6 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:06 PM

Keep it coming dude, I don't mind reading . You never know , I might learn something I didn't know.

#7 Troutslayor

Troutslayor

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:14 PM

A common thing I noticed are some drifters "popping" their float at the end of their drift. This can be a bad habit, especially when fish are dropping back. A sudden pop can spook fish that may be lying at tail end of the pool. So unless you suspect a hit, try lifting your rig up and out as easy as you can at the end of your drift. I had this habit early on until a seasoned guide I fished with, explained it to me!.

#8 Troutslayor

Troutslayor

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:23 PM

Because of the weather I thought I would share this, when fishing cold weather, try rolling you windows down just before you arrive, this helps your body acclimate to the cold so you don't get out to cold blast!.....this may not be for everyone, but guys like us who stand on the river in the winter aren't like everyone else anyway!...

#9 James5354

James5354

Sunfish

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:41 PM

Never understood why guys would set the hook or yes pop their hook at the end of a drift as well....

#10 Troutslayor

Troutslayor

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 02:32 PM

Hey James, float popping can be annoying but if you explain to someone that it can spook fish most will try not to. Instead put some resistance at end of drift, this will cause your bait to slowly rise, simulating a nymph raising to surface, if you're using roe bag doing this may put it in front of fishes nose causing a reaction strike! I have caught a lot of good fish this way! .🎣👍🏻

#11 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2016 - 03:56 PM

I'm never quick enough at hook set at end of drift.
I just never expect one.
I can't even count how many hits I've missed at that moment. lol
Other than the ones that set themselves of course.

#12 HookedUp

HookedUp

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 10:40 AM

Good stuff Shiner Minnow. I've been fishing with a fly rod 40+ years and have caught many fish at the end of the drift by swinging the fly or letting tension float it up. Haven't been Centerpin  fishing yet but looking foward to it.

#13 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:03 PM

Because of the weather I thought I would share this, when fishing cold weather, try rolling you windows down just before you arrive, this helps your body acclimate to the cold so you don't get out to cold blast!.....this may not be for everyone, but guys like us who stand on the river in the winter aren't like everyone else anyway!...

I do something similar for icefishing. But instead of rolling the windows down, I simply wear just my base layers plus pants and sweater in the car, leaving all the other layers inside the car (not in the trunk...or else you'll be putting on freezing cold layers as you get ready). I keep the temperature in the car as cool as comfortable (a few degrees cooler than room temp). And that usually does the trick to get your body acclimatized to the cold for a long day on the ice.

Also, it helps to keep your outer layers off while you walk on the ice (or hike along the stream until you reach your first fishing location). It helps to keep your body cool and prevent sweating. Sweating will increase moisture on your clothes and wick heat away when you need to stay warm.

#14 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:07 PM

Good stuff Shiner Minnow. I've been fishing with a fly rod 40+ years and have caught many fish at the end of the drift by swinging the fly or letting tension float it up. Haven't been Centerpin  fishing yet but looking foward to it.

It's one thing to get hit and set the hook. It's another thing to see the float sink due to current at the end of the drift (usually tail end of the pool when current increases) and misread that as a bite EVERY SINGLE TIME.

During salmon season, I see float popping at the end of the drift all the time as well. It's used as a way to floss salmon.

I'm never quick enough at hook set at end of drift.
I just never expect one.
I can't even count how many hits I've missed at that moment. lol
Other than the ones that set themselves of course.

On the other hand, I often expect a hit at the end of the drift, especially in a pool with a deep back end. Sometimes, I could barely even notice a hit, but when I lift the rod and pull on the line to lift my rig up (to prevent popping), I get nice surprises and happy endings.

#15 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:54 PM

ha ha
I mean literally the end of drift.
Float has been lifted out of the water and and in a split second tug tug .
darn missed another.

#16 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:14 PM

Float popping + 9ft leaders.....killer (sarcasm)....

#17 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:48 PM

Float popping + 9ft leaders.....killer (sarcasm)....

lol

Flossed-Salmon.jpg

#18 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:23 AM

Lots of great tips being offered! It's always good to have a "refresher" course just before the winter steel!

#19 thepassionateangler

thepassionateangler

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 08:30 AM

@TheTallOutdoorsman talking about float tips, I have a tip that most of you guys probably didn't know about your float choices in the winter time. 

During the winter months the temperature of the water is very low being less than 5 degrees for most of Ontario's bodies of water. Like most of you know, water is at its most dense state when it is at exactly 4 degrees Celsius. With this being said, balsa style floats have a tendency of floating a lot higher on the water's surface, thus meaning that more weight must be added to your line in order to balance your float. This change in weight may be a disadvantage during the winter months since steelhead are a lot more finicky and a finesse pattern should be applied during these months more than any other time of the year. On the other hand, plastic floats do not seem to change once the water gets really cold and no addition weight is needed to calibrate your float with the colder water. The simple change of balsa to plastic floats during the winter months will help you catch more fish, since less commotion and a stealth approach during these months will always make you a better angler. 

Oh and another thing, balsa floats usually end up breaking apart during the winter months versus plastic floats since the constant freezing, thawing and overall banging of the float against the icy shorelines have a tendency of completely nicking the float. 

Hope you guys liked my tip :)