• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:42 PM

$450 return to Hawaii. Not kidding. My grandma lives on Oahu so I'm always looking at cheap flights to the islands.

How about $300 to Costa Rica or $500 to Peru?

$250 to Florida and you're truly fishing in bad ass waters.

The sky is the limit.

I hear you loud and clear....but we can all agree that a fishing trip is more than a matter of airfare. 

You have to consider lodging, food, hiring a guide, new gear that you will inevitably buy for the trip, and the list goes on. There are many other factors to consider as well but I won't get into it.

My S.O. does not like to fish so I'm always trying to convince him to vacation in spots where I will be able to wet a line. So far it's worked out well  :lol:

For example, we went to Kauai last month and for the money we spent, I could have bought a nice little boat. It was an amazing vacation and I was able to fish almost every day, but I would rather have bought the boat. One trip to the south pacific vs. fishing every weekend atop my very own throne....easy choice (if I had one).

For the record I am not a fan of the Ed Hardy fishing look.

#62 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:36 PM

Are we really still on this? Better gear vs. decent gear vs. cheapy gear? there are pros and cons on everything. It's personal preference...If you have money kicking around...you have every right to buy Kingpin Simms etc. etc...I carry about $700 worth of gear from hooks all the way to jacket...for a steelhead outing. Gotta tone down on my spending as mortgage & bills refuse to pay themselves....top with 3 kids (one special needs) eats up most of my time anyways. But I still find that I'm fishing excessively 2x-4x a week. Although my Son @ 13 yrs old likes to tag along. And he will be buying his own waders soon. most of my tackle are bought from special discounts from Sail or any tackle stores and kijiji. Just being grateful to have the opportunity to fish with my busy life.

#63 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:43 PM

My S.O. does not like to fish so I'm always trying to convince him to vacation in spots where I will be able to wet a line. So far it's worked out well  :lol:

Subtlety works...although my S.O. starting to wonder why we're always around water when we're on vacation....

#64 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:16 PM

Subtlety works...although my S.O. starting to wonder why we're always around water when we're on vacation....

HAHAHA.  Last time we went to florida I booked a hotel right on the harbour.  There are no more illusions. lol

#65 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:52 PM

You have to consider lodging, food, hiring a guide, new gear that you will inevitably buy for the trip, and the list goes on. There are many other factors to consider as well but I won't get into it.

Sure...you have to consider all of that...but how much you spend is all up to you. I was eating the freshest tuna poke each day...$5 a bowl at the local supermarkets. Spent almost nothing on food compared to tourist restaurants.

Now...as for the little boat...

I'm not even going to get into insurance, gas, REPAIRS, UPKEEP, launch / parking fee...then all the new gear you need to outfit a boat as you go into another species or another technique.

How much does it cost to repair an outboard? Changing out moldy carpets? Rotten wood? Splintering fiberglass? Leaking seams? Polishing the bottom for a more efficient ride? Additional trims to plane better? Trolling motor? Drift sock? Downriggers?

All I hear is cha ching, cha ching, cha ching...and the bank account goes from full to negative.

After all, among the boat owners...

B.O.A.T = Break Out Another Thousand...and if your boat is in the salt...Break out another TEN thousand(s).

#66 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 07:35 PM

Sure...you have to consider all of that...but how much you spend is all up to you. I was eating the freshest tuna poke each day...$5 a bowl at the local supermarkets. Spent almost nothing on food compared to tourist restaurants.

I'm not even going to get into insurance, gas, REPAIRS, UPKEEP, launch / parking fee...then all the new gear you need to outfit a boat as you go into another species or another technique.

How much does it cost to repair an outboard? Changing out moldy carpets? Rotten wood? Splintering fiberglass? Leaking seams? Polishing the bottom for a more efficient ride? Additional trims to plane better? Trolling motor? Drift sock? Downriggers?

All I hear is cha ching, cha ching, cha ching...and the bank account goes from full to negative.

B.O.A.T = Break Out Another Thousand...and if your boat is in the salt...Break out another TEN thousand(s).

Also worth mentioning, boat trailer, and a place to store the darn thing.

Opportunity cost, net ROI, and diminishing returns, three important economic factors to consider.

#67 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:03 AM

Also worth mentioning, boat trailer, and a place to store the darn thing.

Opportunity cost, net ROI, and diminishing returns, three important economic factors to consider.

Is there ROI if you're not doing it for business? I've met a couple who gave their boats away just to get rid of it because it's collecting molds and vermin in their garage/barn...

#68 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:15 PM

Is there ROI if you're not doing it for business? I've met a couple who gave their boats away just to get rid of it because it's collecting molds and vermin in their garage/barn...

In a holistic sense, yes. Lol.

Hopefully they disclosed the mold and vermin contamination to whoever picked it up. 

#69 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:24 AM

Touche  :lol:

#70 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 01:48 PM

This seems to apply to kayaks as well, the newest upgrade turned out to cost quite a bit more than expected.

I dont know how you can call local fishing ho hum though, there are endless opportunities to explore here in Ontario I don't think I will ever get bored.

Attached Images

• 20170609_173010.jpg

#71 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:49 PM

This seems to apply to kayaks as well, the newest upgrade turned out to cost quite a bit more than expected.

I dont know how you can call local fishing ho hum though, there are endless opportunities to explore here in Ontario I don't think I will ever get bored.

Why is it ho hum?

For example...

You can fish any of the east ditches for Steelhead. The technique is the same. The habitat is pretty much the same across every ditch. The behaviour of the fish is basically the same. So you go fish bigger waters...like the big N...and after doing that, it's not any different than fishing PD, or St. Mary's or Notty. Same deal...same fish...same reaction. Even fish on the West Coast behaves the same.

So yes...it's ho hum. Sure, scenery is a bit different...but if we are talking scenery, then there's even more exciting scenery fishing outside of Ontario. Ontario scenery is the same old shield boreal forest. I've driven from New Brunswick across to Saskatchewan...and it looks bloody same. Even in British Columbia, there are areas that looks like Ontario.

Do I still get excited over local fishing? Sure. It's still fun...but compared to the opportunity to fish foreign waters for species you've never seen in life or never knew to exist, that is 100x much better IMO. The challenge is so much greater, the risk so much higher and the reward is so much sweeter.

Life is short...go outside of your comfort zone, leave that box and explore...you may only get to live it once.

#72 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 09:17 AM

Travelling isnt for everyone dude. When you have a family and mortgage and a full time career you cant just blast off whenever you want. My daycare costs alone are equivalent to a brand new set of g4 Wading gear every month.
I have limited time to fish so i have top of the line gear so i dont miss those opportunities.

#73 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:25 AM

Travelling isnt for everyone dude. When you have a family and mortgage and a full time career you cant just blast off whenever you want. My daycare costs alone are equivalent to a brand new set of g4 Wading gear every month.
I have limited time to fish so i have top of the line gear so i dont miss those opportunities.

This. Just waiting for my kids to be grown ups to really get back into my dreams. I'm stuck in this reality where kids spending weekends with grandparents is the best vacation me and the wife can get cleaning the house...the good thing though is I have all boys and they all love to fish. anytime of the day after work...it only takes one kid to want to go fishing and we're out.

#74 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:30 AM

This. Just waiting for my kids to be grown ups to really get back into my dreams. I'm stuck in this reality where kids spending weekends with grandparents is the best vacation me and the wife can get cleaning the house...the good thing though is I have all boys and they all love to fish. anytime of the day after work...it only takes one kid to want to go fishing and we're out.

Sounds like you will take any excuse to go fishing! - My kinda reasoning!

#75 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:59 AM

.the good thing though is I have all boys and they all love to fish

....waiting for FisherGirl's response...3....2.....1...

:D

1000% agree that travelling isn't for everyone. So much of the 1st world's population is obsessed with travelling. When you have to travel like crazy for work and eat out for pretty much every meal for years, there is nothing better than getting to stay home, sleep in your own bed, cook your own meal, shower in your own shower!

Do enough travelling and you'll start to see the grass is not always greener on the other side. 

These "east ditches" happened to hold a wild, self sustaining population of majestic Atlantic Salmon, brook trout and lakers not that many years ago. Fishing is fishing, whether it's with a stick, old line and rusty hook in the pond in your backyard, or a $100K deep sea fishing rig. 

#76 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:13 PM

....waiting for FisherGirl's response...3....2.....1...

:D

1000% agree that travelling isn't for everyone. So much of the 1st world's population is obsessed with travelling. When you have to travel like crazy for work and eat out for pretty much every meal for years, there is nothing better than getting to stay home, sleep in your own bed, cook your own meal, shower in your own shower!

Do enough travelling and you'll start to see the grass is not always greener on the other side. 

These "east ditches" happened to hold a wild, self sustaining population of majestic Atlantic Salmon, brook trout and lakers not that many years ago. Fishing is fishing, whether it's with a stick, old line and rusty hook in the pond in your backyard, or a $100K deep sea fishing rig. 

My wife never wanted to leave Markham to be honest but it was really time for us to move. It just so happen there was a house for sale 5 minutes from the ditch that's within our budget...that realtor should've given me some $$ for my marketing skills...to my wife.

#77 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:06 AM

Why is it ho hum?

For example...

You can fish any of the east ditches for Steelhead. The technique is the same. The habitat is pretty much the same across every ditch. The behaviour of the fish is basically the same. So you go fish bigger waters...like the big N...and after doing that, it's not any different than fishing PD, or St. Mary's or Notty. Same deal...same fish...same reaction. Even fish on the West Coast behaves the same.

So yes...it's ho hum. Sure, scenery is a bit different...but if we are talking scenery, then there's even more exciting scenery fishing outside of Ontario. Ontario scenery is the same old shield boreal forest. I've driven from New Brunswick across to Saskatchewan...and it looks bloody same. Even in British Columbia, there are areas that looks like Ontario.

Do I still get excited over local fishing? Sure. It's still fun...but compared to the opportunity to fish foreign waters for species you've never seen in life or never knew to exist, that is 100x much better IMO. The challenge is so much greater, the risk so much higher and the reward is so much sweeter.

Life is short...go outside of your comfort zone, leave that box and explore...you may only get to live it once.

No doubt travelling and catching new species is a great experience but I think its unfortunate that those experiences have ruined the local resources for you. I will never be bored of Ontario let alone all of Canada.

Imagine the carbon footprint if everyone was dissatisfied with their local opportunities and had to constantly travel the world to get that sense of satisfaction.

#78 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 09:44 PM

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I'm just not satisfied reading about great destination and great fishing. Yes, I am single and young with no family. That's the life I've chosen for the moment. We all have a choice at one point or another. Some choose to have family early and live the family life. I'm not at all ready yet...if ever.

Re: carbon footprint...who produce more carbon footprint? Someone who drives 2-3 times a week for an hour each way to go fishing, or someone who takes a plane 2-3 times a year for trips? If you look at actual research (not fake news), you'll find that planes have a lower carbon footprint per passenger per km traveled.

As I said before, I still find local fishing fun...but hell, I would give it up to save money and holidays to experience something new.

Most of you comment on your current life situation. But heck, if you were to win the lottery, I'd bet most of you would be hitting up some major bucket list destination. The desire is ALWAYS there...it's just a matter of whether you have time and resource to partake...or willing to make sacrifices to partake when resources and time is limited.

It's not like I'm filthy rich with unlimited time. I was in grad school for close to 10 years in a PhD program. You can't get more limited in time and money than a grad student...