• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 myspacedave

myspacedave

Sunfish

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:02 PM

Hey guys, hope you're all staying warm this past week. Big question for you folk who visit Niagara river/whirlpool. I started fishing this hole in 2013 when a friend of mine suggested fishing the Niagara river, I found this hole, and have been a believer ever since. Still haven't got any salmon/trout out of here yet, but I will one day. 

My question(s) for you is this: What are the migration patterns of fish who enter this river? (Edit: I should mention that I am referring to the whirlpool section of the Niagara river, as that's the only area I know how to enter it)

Do Lake O or Lake E salmon/trout enter, or both?

Do they spawn?

What about the whirlpool itself. Do the fish use it to swim in or have food directed to them? Why is this such a hot spot over the other areas of the Niagara river? 

I usually chuck spoons, but until now I didn't know the proper technique for it (ya, there's a bit of a technique to it), or float roe or worms along the bank. I'm pretty sure both techniques I was doing wrong, but at least after a pretty good salmon run, I think I can handle spoons, but any tips on floating at the whirlpool would be appreciated.

I think that's it. Thanks for any/all responses and tight lines everyone!

#2 Paul1913

Paul1913

Perch

• Active Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:08 PM

I've only fished there once but if you're going to float, use a bigger float, 11-16gr.

Look for seams in the current, behind and in front of boulders.

You can also look at some trout beads.

I did well with spoons on my day and floating roe..

I remember someone mentioning water clarity, do some searching on the forums I'm sure it's there.

As for spawning ... Don't know much about the area.

Hope that little bit helps

#3 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 09:56 PM

The lower gets lake O fish, they spawn, not sure of success rate, if any. I use 8 and 11g floats. Experiment with shot patterns, judging by flow and clarity. River is a tough fish until you know it, expect lots of skunks to start.

#4 jkw

jkw

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:05 PM

Hi dave. The Lower Niagara is the mecca of migrations. it hosts salmon, steelhead, browns, and lakers. All are Lake Ontario fish. It also has incredible resident populations of fish like muskie, sturgeon, and walleye. The whirlpool is particularly special as it is the end of the line (as far as an upstream migration goes). But in safer times of year you can walk down the glen and fish along the river. Access is challenging you must be very able bodied.  

All these species successfully spawn each year, which is evident in the various year classes and large populations of fish that keep returning.. it is their natal "stream".  As guys said above, you have to gear up to fish it properly.. heavier floats, larger weights.. you should also experiment with changing you float depths. start in the 5ft range close to shore along seams, then lengthen your lead and cast farther out into a deeper seam. (I use a slip float with a bobber stopper to get 10ft+ deep when drifting it). 

hope that helps. 

JKW

#5 RiverRuns

RiverRuns

Sunfish

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 06:09 PM

To me, the whirlpool is the most "unorthodox" steelheading spot around. The water level fluctuates drastically, the currents spin back and forth, ice chunks swirl around, and the banks in the winter are treacherous. Also, some of the ducks in there will chase and bite your baits. Makes for challenging fishing on the best of days.
As mentioned above, fish the slow seams (they often shift) and keep your bait near bottom. You may have to adjust your float depth and the shot arrangement frequently. Don't be afraid to switch up your baits.

#6 myspacedave

myspacedave

Sunfish

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 08:05 PM

OMG! Guys thanks so much. I've been there quite a bit, Got some nice smallies there last summer, but nothing to write here about. Just takes some practice and reading a bit, I suppose. 

#7 ChromeAddict

ChromeAddict

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:40 PM

I've been to the Glen a couple times. I had one hit on a white jig but that's it. I would recommend checking out 'The Angler Files' on Youtube. He has some good videos on fishing the river. What did you get your smallies on?

#8 myspacedave

myspacedave

Sunfish

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:18 AM

Smalls I got floating worms close to bank. I had to keep one cuz he swallowed the love out of the hook. Was pretty good eatin'.

I never use jigs really, especially not for trout. I would like to diversify my methods a little better. Until recently (last couple of years) that meant just having different gear in my bag. I now realize after conferring with people like you that that's not the case. If you care to elaborate, or direct me to some good reading, that is always appreciated!

#9 myspacedave

myspacedave

Sunfish

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:18 AM

I HATE YOUR AUTO EDIT OFF!

#10 chinooky

chinooky

Sunfish

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 10:22 AM

I think its a "hot spot" because its the easiest to access. Theres lots of skunks in the water though, especially when the water is on the dirty side - with all that room the probability of a fish seeing your presentation goes down.

#11 Brian

Brian

Perch

• Active Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:35 PM

As much as I understand your thirst for knowledge here, posting specific spots on a public forum just destroys it. It is stated in the forum rules.

Some of your questions have already been answered.

Fish do spawn there, but the conditions are not the most ideal for it.

High oxygen levels help contribute to the healthy fishery, and also the fish cant go up much further (there's an obstruction a little way up).

#12 Fishbully

Fishbully

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:01 PM

As much as I understand your thirst for knowledge here, posting specific spots on a public forum just destroys it. It is stated in the forum rules.

Some of your questions have already been answered.
Fish do spawn there, but the conditions are not the most ideal for it.
High oxygen levels help contribute to the healthy fishery, and also the fish cant go up much further (there's an obstruction a little way up).

I dont think that river is much of a secret, ive seen that parking lot full at 7 am on tuesday.

As far as migration they make it up to the base of the falls.

https://youtu.be/d1ESReOeeOU

#13 Slickrick

Slickrick

Sunfish

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 11:00 PM

Respect the water levels.  They fluctuate wildly now that hydro is relying on wind/solar power.  Gone is the usual winter low level.  A rock you were fishing one day could be 5 feet underwater the next.

#14 myspacedave

myspacedave

Sunfish

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:24 PM

Respect the water levels.  They fluctuate wildly now that hydro is relying on wind/solar power.  Gone is the usual winter low level.  A rock you were fishing one day could be 5 feet underwater the next.

Or like, within a few hours. The rock I was sitting on, I was fishing later on in the day. Prob not the best strat

#15 Brian

Brian

Perch

• Active Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:59 PM

I dont think that river is much of a secret, ive seen that parking lot full at 7 am on tuesday.

As far as migration they make it up to the base of the falls.

https://youtu.be/d1ESReOeeOU

I agree it is no secret. 

There was a time when we would get nice quiet days down there. Not anymore. The last couple years have been ridiculous there.

And its getting worse because of things like this.

#16 myspacedave

myspacedave

Sunfish

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 11:58 PM

You know it's on shows with Dave Mercer and Italo right? The problem is people being uninformed. Having websites like this one help give people the right ideas of how to do their hobby well, and safely.

#17 NiagaraSteel

NiagaraSteel

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:39 AM

The internet was screwed fishing down there. Ask any of the oldtimers and they'll tell you what it used to be like. The problem is people being informed, as there are probably 1000 people viewing this right now.

#18 myspacedave

myspacedave

Sunfish

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:01 AM

Do you hear how you sound right now? You're complaining about how the internet has ruined fishing, on a fishing website located on the internet. You know I love you right? But cmon guys.

#19 Brian

Brian

Perch

• Active Members
  • 553 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:56 PM

lol

Its nothing personal dave. Like I said, I can understand your thirst for knowledge; we were all there sometime, well I was anyway.

There are other ways to word your post and titles without giving out the specific spot. We will know what you mean, and we would not mind helping you out.

Its just a little advice for next time, and it really is in the forum rules.

Hope you have a good day out next time you're down there.

#20 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:02 PM

The trip down the stairs pleasant.
The trip up.
Never again. Lol
Stay home