• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 My Self Reliance

My Self Reliance

Earthworm

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:53 PM

I'm new to the forum, so please excuse me if I missed any discussions on this topic. I'm also new to fly fishing, and I'm looking for advice on flies for ice-out brook trout in Algonquin Park.
I assume streamers would work well, but can I expect any insect hatches at that time of year? Or is there a pattern that works in any event? Any help would be appreciated.

#2 Snaggy

Snaggy

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 12:28 PM

I'm no expert, but from what I have heard 2 of the flies that keep coming up is the simple wooly bugger and the mickey finn. Any attractor fly should work as well. What lakes are you going to be fishing? I will be there at the same time.

#3 My Self Reliance

My Self Reliance

Earthworm

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 09:56 PM

I'm no expert, but from what I have heard 2 of the flies that keep coming up is the simple wooly bugger and the mickey finn. Any attractor fly should work as well. What lakes are you going to be fishing? I will be there at the same time.

I've been loading up on both of those, as well as some others. 40 lakes, 8 days. Magnetawan to Catfish.

#4 Snaggy

Snaggy

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 10:39 AM

I've been loading up on both of those, as well as some others. 40 lakes, 8 days. Magnetawan to Catfish.

Wow, that'll be a great time. Best of luck!

#5 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 10:10 AM

darn MSR... that's impressive.