• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 10:18 PM

Found this vid posted on another forum and I just wanted to share.

Whats your thoughts on it?

#2 cork

cork

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 11:50 PM

Wow! That's a wake up call. Thanks for posting pump

#3 myspacedave

myspacedave

Sunfish

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:09 AM

Thanks bro. I'm so thankful to the members here that help inform about conservation

#4 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:23 AM

Watched a guy wipe a fish off to get a better picture last week. He got a mouth full I got a mouth full. Great video.

#5 floss_boss

floss_boss

Sunfish

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:41 AM

trout looks pale after 2 weeks,

the fading colors and wounds could be caused by water that is different from the natural environment 

#6 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 09:38 AM

That is also one tight grip!

#7 GuitarBuildingAngler

GuitarBuildingAngler

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:09 AM

I have always disagreed with tailing gloves. This is a great video and pretty informative. 
Thanks Pump. 

#8 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:10 AM

I can't say much about the next person on how he handles the fish he catches. The trib i frequent have a lot of laid back and nice people but I have encountered a few anglers with a bit of hostility as well when it comes to this kind of stuff....not from me. I usually offer my net if I have it. Helps them land the fish faster and I can put my line back in right away. I've seen arguments...shoving, cutting line...either I move or....

giphy.gif

#9 GuitarBuildingAngler

GuitarBuildingAngler

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:29 AM

I can't say much about the next person on how he handles the fish he catches. The trib i frequent have a lot of laid back and nice people but I have encountered a few anglers with a bit of hostility as well when it comes to this kind of stuff....not from me. I usually offer my net if I have it. Helps them land the fish faster and I can put my line back in right away. I've seen arguments...shoving, cutting line...either I move or....

giphy.gif

That is very nice of you. I have actually had a couple anglers offer me a net to help land a fish. 

Though these type of anglers seem to be far and few between. 

#10 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:51 AM

That is very nice of you. I have actually had a couple anglers offer me a net to help land a fish. 

Though these type of anglers seem to be far and few between. 

I've learn a lot landing fish for other people back when I'm a noob. One way to study their setup without asking...lol. Landed a nice brown for an old dude years ago using raw shrimp...skin and all...

#11 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:22 AM

I'm guilty of wiping down a fish but most of my fish are still in the water with wet hands.

#12 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:38 AM

You've got people talking.
That's a good thing Pump

#13 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 11:47 AM

Saw a dude once lipping a trout like it's bass...the only time I said something and he did acknowledge he didn't know he can't do that. You gotta love the openers...

#14 Slickrick

Slickrick

Sunfish

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 04:01 PM

One time I watched a guy nail 5 steelhead on 6 drifts.  Each one he leaned over and popped hook with his hemostats.  Didnt touch it, no iPhone shots of flopping fish on rocks. A true fisherman.

#15 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:20 PM

The last time some one offered me his net to land my fish, the same guy got mad at me because I released it the fish without asking him if he wanted it.

#16 GuitarBuildingAngler

GuitarBuildingAngler

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:22 PM

One time I watched a guy nail 5 steelhead on 6 drifts.  Each one he leaned over and popped hook with his hemostats.  Didnt touch it, no iPhone shots of flopping fish on rocks. A true fisherman.

I have seen this a couple times from different anglers. I was absolutely amazed because I would always stop to take a photo with the fish (still in the water of course). But seeing an angler do something like that really makes you think, "is the picture worth it? Is it really worth potentially hurting the fish?".

#17 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:10 PM

I am calling a bit of bs on the glove. At the transfers on the credit we use wet cotton gloves to handle them.never seen a transferred fish show trauma from the glove upon recapture

#18 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:18 PM

LOL - please do not jump to conclusions with this video.  There are so many things that could have gone wrong and with a sample size of 1 this experiment is scientifically flawed and no conclusions can be drawn from it.  Hatchery fingerlings are handled with gloves, fins clipped and grow to be the monsters on the end of our lines.  Sure the glove strips slime but for a healthy fish its no problem - trout, salmon, chars are pretty hardy.

#19 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:38 PM

That's the way. How many pics of 3 to 9lb steelies do you need. Now I take pics of only the special ones

#20 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:48 PM

EACH AND EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM SWING4STEEL - WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU?