22 replies to this topic

#1 Berg

Berg

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 12:05 AM

Hey fly fishermen,

Looking for a good 6wt line that will have a little extra power to cast larger streamers. For example, a 6wt line a half-size up. Has anyone tried these half-size lines, do they help with larger, heavier flies? Can anyone recommend a good 6wt fly line for heavier flies? Good mending capability would be preferable too.

Looking to add a better steel heading capability to my 6wt outfit so I don't have to shell out the bucks to get an 8wt or switch. Thanks!

#2 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:47 AM

the ability to cast large streamers is the power in the rod and the skill of the caster.  if you want the rod to load deeper, go to a 7wt line, or add more force in your cast.

#3 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:50 AM

Casting streamers I'd go for 7wt / 8wt...but that goes with what your rod specs is. if your rod is 6wt, 6wt and half size would be ok, but it has to match with leader and tippet. i use a 8wt setup when i'm using streamers i just find it easier and the line loads better casting heavy flies. dry flies i use 6wt setup. Like you i'm still learning, so what I share are based on personal experience and not an expert opinion.

#4 GuitarBuildingAngler

GuitarBuildingAngler

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 11:07 AM

It also depends on the sensitivity of your rod. Is it a slow or fast action rod? I find a medium-slow action 6wt rod with a 7wt line can give you a switch rod like feeling. Ever since going to switch, that is all I fish (except when doing dry flies and fishing for small brook trout). I personally see no need for half size lines. With a high quality rod, going a weight up in fly lines should be fine. As with any fly casting I am aware of, there in no power needed in casting. It is all about the motion and timing. 

Learning the double haul will also make casting streams a breeze for you. But definitely practice at it, as the double haul done wrong is a good way of getting a hook in your body. 

I remember the time Madoc and I went sight fishing for Gar pike. We were using 8 weight rods but the streamer pattern we were using for gar was extremely weighted, articulated and tipped with a size 8 treble hook. There was NO way you were going to catch any Gar if you couldn't double haul (the casting distance was sometimes 20-50ft). That streamer fly would have been something you should have been using on a 12wt rod but with a good double haul we made it all possible. 

#5 Berg

Berg

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 02:33 PM

Thanks guys.

The specs of my rod are stated as power being Medium Stiff and the taper being Fast (action?). It's a G Loomis Pro4x that was basically given to me, and I love it. Being that it's a 6wt and such a nice rod, I'd love to keep using it for all of my fly fishing, seeing as I'd have to really dig into the wallet to buy a more powerful rod that matches its quality that I'm now used to. 

Sounds like everyone thinks the half-size line will help. I'm also continually working on my casting technique. Sometimes I have a hard time roll-casting a beaded woolly bugger or a nymph rig with some weight.

Took a guided trip with a Huron guide and that really helped with line control. We worked on casting a wider loop with weighted flies as well as a spey technique to get the line off the water, then roll casting your line out, then fully casting your presentation. I'd say I'm definitely above beginner-status in terms of casting ability but I have a long way to go to be proficient. 

I may try a 6.5 line if I find a good price. If that isn't enough I'll consider a 8wt or switch for fall. 

#6 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:08 PM

with that rod, you will have no issues using a 7wt line.  i have a Ross RX 6wt that i use a 7wt line on.  i have an NRX 8wt that i like to use in the fall, put on a stronger tippet and have some fun with big streamers or egg patterns for fresh run salmon and bows...

#7 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:12 PM

It also depends on the sensitivity of your rod. Is it a slow or fast action rod? I find a medium-slow action 6wt rod with a 7wt line can give you a switch rod like feeling. Ever since going to switch, that is all I fish (except when doing dry flies and fishing for small brook trout). I personally see no need for half size lines. With a high quality rod, going a weight up in fly lines should be fine. As with any fly casting I am aware of, there in no power needed in casting. It is all about the motion and timing. 

Learning the double haul will also make casting streams a breeze for you. But definitely practice at it, as the double haul done wrong is a good way of getting a hook in your body. 

I remember the time Madoc and I went sight fishing for Gar pike. We were using 8 weight rods but the streamer pattern we were using for gar was extremely weighted, articulated and tipped with a size 8 treble hook. There was NO way you were going to catch any Gar if you couldn't double haul (the casting distance was sometimes 20-50ft). That streamer fly would have been something you should have been using on a 12wt rod but with a good double haul we made it all possible. 

uh huh.....i practiced with a hooded sweater on with the hood up, sunglasses and hat on.  wasn't getting a piercing then.  i have had the wind knock my cast around on occasion and have had the fly hit me, but never stick

#8 Berg

Berg

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 12:58 AM

Lol this reminds me of the guide trip... 

We had just talked about how much he hates when people cast weighted flies into the blank of his "customer" rods... He said it's like a pebble hitting a windshield, weakens the graphite over time. My next cast produced a horrifying THUD as i nailed the blank head on... Long awkward pause haha.

I actually bought a new rod and immediately went out to bottom bounce once. My first cast with the rod, I cast the 1oz slinky right through the rod and broke it clean in half.

I can see how it gets dangerous. Gotta be careful with those heavy clouser minnows haha

#9 Graham Bristow

Graham Bristow

Sunfish

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 10:52 AM

Something else to consider is trying a line like the Airflow Ridge lines or the sharkskin. In my opinion they shoot through the guides better and are less sticky on the hands and guys that try my streamer rod after using theirs really notice the difference and so do I. I use an older style Airflow Ridge lines for all my streamers. Also learning to do a good double haul helps to. 

#10 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 11:27 AM

It's good that your focusing on the casting for now...it's an important key...I have dodged one too many flies when I was starting...sunglasses are important..

#11 fenwickfisher

fenwickfisher

Sunfish

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:44 PM

For streamers look into single hand spey casting.... Ill use a 425 grain on my 8wt single hand and it roll casts and spey casts like a dream....pretty sure the line is the rio switch chucker and its an awesome line with a 25 foot shooting head built in to the running line

#12 Berg

Berg

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 11:49 AM

Thanks for the responses. I posted on another fly fishing forum as well and everyone there is mentioning the fight time with the steelhead - they're worried about over exhaustion on a 6wt... I don't know, I've never seen a steelhead personally that looked over 10lb in the tribs I've fished. Only a few seasons under my belt, and I'm sure the lunkers are out there, but this isn't the west coast.

#13 Berg

Berg

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 11:51 AM

I would imagine a 6wt fly rod has the same ability to bring in a fish as a long float fishing noodle rod, no?

#14 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:10 PM

No worries with a six weight I have used mine for "steelies" and had no problem with it, not to mention it is a "glass" rod, also have never used anything bigger then a 5 or 4x leader. You just have to play the fish better, and be gentle on the leader/tippet.

#15 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 01:31 PM

No worries with a six weight I have used mine for "steelies" and had no problem with it, not to mention it is a "glass" rod, also have never used anything bigger then a 5 or 4x leader. You just have to play the fish better, and be gentle on the leader/tippet.

that IS the issue, you have to play the fish longer, the idea with C&R, get the fish in quick, and as healthy as possible, not play it out til exhaustion, personally i use an 8wt for steelhead.  even then, i've had fish on that i've had a hard time moving out of the current.

#16 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 01:40 PM

As I stated I HAVE used, I now only use my 8 weight rod, or spey rod ( which I am still trying to learn ).  I was just trying to acknowledge that it is possible to use a 6 weight, and FF I do agree it does put more stress on the fish.   

#17 GuitarBuildingAngler

GuitarBuildingAngler

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 09:21 PM

I personally use an 8 weight switch to fight steelhead. Though it depends, but I will still have a hard time on a steelhead with shoulders. It depends on your fighting style. I play the fish for a while. This enables me to bring the fish in gently and avoid a bent or broken hook. I also fish barbless 100% now, so I can't just horse a fish in. So far, every single steelhead has gone back to the depths instantly after our battle, so it seems that my fighting technique is keeping them strong and healthy.

In terms of roll casting, I highly suggest watching  switch/ spey casting  videos. Particularly snap T, spey and double spey casting techniques. Watch them 1000 times, you will really start to get the idea. 

#18 Xca

Xca

Sunfish

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 07:28 PM

A good read : http://www.tridentfl...ew-buyers-guide

This shootout provides some good info on tapers. 

#19 Berg

Berg

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 10:56 PM

Yeah that's a really in depth shootout. Thanks for the heads up.

#20 rjm4u

rjm4u

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 07:15 PM

Hi new to the forum here. Have been a fly fisher for around 30 years or so. Have had a debate with friends over the years about what rod is best for what species. Have concluded that it doesn't much matter. You can break a 5X tippet with a 6wt. or an 8wt. You are playing any fish to the tippet strength not the rod. You can run a really light tippet on an 8wt. as you could put 8lb. mono on a 3 wt. (rod might snap not recommended) No trout is going to break the fly line. I think it's more important to match the gear to the tippet and fly you are casting and the desired presentation. I have caught trout up to 7 lbs. with my 4wt., if I chose an 8wt. I would have used the same tippet but might have not gotten the delicate presentation. My 2c