30 replies to this topic

#1 BigT555

BigT555

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 04:26 PM

Hey fellas

I'm looking for a fishing guide book for the great lakes area in southwestern ontario. I've fished with friends and my old man since i was a wee lad and we always did alright with catching, but now I'm starting to go out on my own and I'm realizing that my own knowledge of fishing is pretty small, and we did fairly well because of the collective knowledge in our group rather then what I myself know. I pretty much just cast and retrieve different lures depending on what I'm hoping to catch

A friend of mine who took a fishing and wildlife course pointed me in the direction of some good ones that describe species, but what I was really hoping for was a book that broke down fish by species, started out with talking about lifestyle and diet then moving to effective techniques for targeting that species before going onto the next type

I basically fish every species in my area so pike, walleye, bass (small and largemouth), trouts, ect.

Is this wishful thinking or does such a book exist? I'm starting to think I'll have to go with one for species description and one for fishing techniques

#2 lucario

lucario

Sunfish

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 07:44 PM

yes there is, you can find at Canadian tire and wall mart but you find them in the fall not now fishguide2015-final-aoda-en-final-p1-nor

#3 BigT555

BigT555

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 09:45 PM

yes there is, you can find at Canadian tire and wall mart but you find them in the fall not now fishguide2015-final-aoda-en-final-p1-nor

This is some great info on species locations the only thing it's missing is a follow up for techniques on how to catch specific species! I know I'm being picky :P just want an all in one guide if possible

#4 lucario

lucario

Sunfish

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:55 PM

i have an old Canadian tire lucky strike guide that like that but you cant find stuff like DAT anymore  if any question on ''techniques on how to catch specific species' ask me im pretty knowledgeable 

#5 BigT555

BigT555

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:55 AM

i have an old Canadian tire lucky strike guide that like that but you cant find stuff like DAT anymore  if any question on ''techniques on how to catch specific species' ask me im pretty knowledgeable 

I'm just looking for a base guide on ways to lure in fish, like the many ways to jig for walters for example. I appreciate the offer but I can find the info online easily enough myself I just want it in a book so I can take it out with me on the rivers

starting to think I'm just going to have to make my own notes after looking the past couple days. probably better that way anyway as far as learning and memorizing

#6 Berg

Berg

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 12:34 PM

I was going to list a few but realized you are probably looking for conventional fishing methods, not fly fishing?

#7 lucario

lucario

Sunfish

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 02:29 PM

I'm just looking for a base guide on ways to lure in fish, like the many ways to jig for walters for example. I appreciate the offer but I can find the info online easily enough myself I just want it in a book so I can take it out with me on the rivers

starting to think I'm just going to have to make my own notes after looking the past couple days. probably better that way anyway as far as learning and memorizing

i hate to say it but theirs no book like that anymore 

#8 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2016 - 02:39 PM

Oh my god.
There is no book on how to catch fish on any given day.
The only sure way to catch anything is by experience. .
Put in the hours the money and the research.
Can't get 20 years experience in less than 20 yrs.

#9 BigT555

BigT555

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 03:27 PM

Oh my god.

Obviously.

I dont think its ridiculous to think there could be one that gives tips and tricks on how to catch certain fish. Something like Field & Streams Total Fishing Manual but more specific to individual species... how did people who didn't have anyone to teach them get this info before the internet became widely available?

#10 BigT555

BigT555

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 03:29 PM

Thanks for the tips folks I'm just going to get Scott and Crossmans Freshwater Fishes of Canada and add my own notes.

Good luck with the walters this weekend

#11 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2016 - 03:43 PM

Ha ha.
Exactly.
They learned by trial and error.
You have to do your time.

#12 Berg

Berg

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 03:46 PM

There's nothing wrong with asking a question about books.

Can't stand when someone new to the forum asks a regular question and they get nothing but "do it yourself" or shunned for asking.

If you don't have a helpful answer don't waste your time answering anything.

I believe you probably received a much warmer welcome when you joined than you provided here TI.

Christ, the guy just wants to read some books.

To the OP: try various books from "The Hunting & Fishing Library", which is an older series of books but helpful and available on Amazon or libraries. They are very in-depth.

#13 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2016 - 04:27 PM

I gave him the most helpful answer I could.
Because I read the flight manual doesn't mean I can.
Books are great for info and starting tips.
But.
Will never replace experience and the practical application.
We all had to put the hours in.
Will learn tons more observing and questioning fellow anglers on the water.

#14 Berg

Berg

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 04:39 PM

It's March, lots of species are closed, and the guy is asking about books. He's capable of determining how he learns best and how he'd like to go about that in March. Saying "oh my god" and taking exception to his question doesn't make a new user feel welcome.  That's all I'm saying. I'll leave it at that.

PS there are lots of Great Lakes fly fishing books where you could simply take the species info and fish in whatever way you'd like.

#15 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2016 - 04:48 PM

Yes.
It's March.
And lots of species are open.
Maybe you should read a book. Lol
Don't ever assume any type of tone to a text.
Because there was none.
There's theory capable people.
And there's practical capable people.
That's where teachers come from.

#16 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 07:39 PM

I believe there was a book put out by the Toronto Fishing Ambassadors that received great reviews. It was pretty detailed and would probably be a big help. 

We all learn differently. 

I'd suggest pick a species and read up on it - you'll quickly learn what they eat, where they lurk and you'll start to gain knowledge in what you need to match. You an find all this info online which will get you started and maybe you can narrow down the books you're looking for after that. I know you said you want take a book with you, so perhaps a field journal with your own notes is the best method here based on what you've read online and in field sessions. Track time of day, temps, pressure, wind direction, location of fish you caught, location of fish you saw but didn't catch. You'll soon start to see patterns in what you're writing because various bodies of water need different alternations to presentation or ways the lures, flies,etc. are being used. Whatever you do, look beyond the flashiness of all the lures and learn what they're imitating and why they're made to behave in a certain way.

Dare i say, have a look at a local library. There's still tons of knowledge on those shelves. 

Good luck!

#17 lucario

lucario

Sunfish

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:06 PM

EVER BODY COME THE F DOWN theirs is no book that will tell the right info because not all lake of parts of the great lake are the same and each book is going to conflict the author one so the only way to learn is from trail and error and local advice and your own notes sorry to tell you this but you have to find out your self 

plus the fish might not bite the lure that you read that works so your going to put some effort and learn by trail and error or local knowledge and same goes with websites 

so can all go back to are normal lives 

#18 lucario

lucario

Sunfish

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:09 PM

Oh my god.

you are right 

#19 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 03:36 PM

Love the pissing match here...reminds me why I go on long absences from OFF...

But to BigT555...

Instead of books, try subscription to fishing magazines. I personally grew up reading In-Fisherman's magazine and had about 100+ issues at one point. Although the information is not location specific, techniques are rarely location specific. The key to techniques are understanding when and where it works best...and that's as general as what kind of lake structure or bottom type, what range of water temperature or time of year, and the daily fluctuation that could fit or not fit the pattern of fish behaviour (thus responding or not responding to a particular technique).

For more regional magazines, you can look at Ontario Out of Doors, Outdoor Canada, Real Fishing (similar to the show), Just Fishing, Fishin' Canada...etc. Sometimes, you can find magazines to read at the library. I grew up on them as a kid, especially Ontario Out of Doors and Outdoor Canada.

TV shows are also great. I also grew up watching morning fishing programs...used to sneak up early and watch these shows with the volume down LOL.

I say this to a lot of people...a largemouth bass is just a largemouth bass...regardless of where it lives. It has certain requirements (temperature, seasonal life cycle, preferred habitats...etc). The difference between a Lake Erie Largemouth vs. Florida Largemouth vs. Hawaii Largemouth vs. Japan Largemouth is the available habitat, the local bait item and the seasonal changes of local climates. However, this is not to say that a Largemouth in Toronto cannot behave like a Tokyo Largemouth if it lives in similar habitat with similar food items. In fact, I would argue that two fish that live half a world away can behave EXACTLY the same if it lives in similar habitats across the world. The point of me in saying all this? It is for you to realize that what's more important than looking for local specific technique (SW Ontario) is for you to recognize the local habitats and forage items of your fishing areas, and then look for techniques that work for similar situations. You may not catch as many fish as someone who has patterned a local spot for 20 years, but with the right knowledge, you should always catch some fish regardless.

The great thing about magazines is that the information is timely and current. Some books can be rather dated and some techniques are not used anymore...especially when they involve lures that are discontinued. Magazines also covers a breadth of species and locations. Instead of focusing on specific species, it is important to read broadly, digest and distill the information, and see where it can fit into your fishing situation. There are many times in my travel that I've needed to adapt a certain technique for a specific situation...and often the solution is something that locals may not even think about.

I may not know how to catch a Largemouth Bass from Port Colborne under Hwy 3 in mid-July 2 days after it rains, but most of the time you don't need to get that specific at all. After all, I've caught 549 species from 4 continents, 11 countries, 12 states and 7 provinces. I can tell you that the majority of species that were caught no one ever write a book or a magazine article about techniques to catch them (ever heard of a Pacific Sleeper? Or Monkeyfaced Prickleback? How many people intentionally try to catch a Blackside Darter with hook and line?) The point is...I don't necessarily have a book or magazine to read about a certain species at a certain location...but using knowledge from other species at other locations, and adapting it to your current situation, you can do well.

Good luck.

#20 BigT555

BigT555

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:10 PM

Love the pissing match here...reminds me why I go on long absences from OFF...

But to BigT555...

Instead of books, try subscription to fishing magazines. I personally grew up reading In-Fisherman's magazine and had about 100+ issues at one point. Although the information is not location specific, techniques are rarely location specific. The key to techniques are understanding when and where it works best...and that's as general as what kind of lake structure or bottom type, what range of water temperature or time of year, and the daily fluctuation that could fit or not fit the pattern of fish behaviour (thus responding or not responding to a particular technique).

For more regional magazines, you can look at Ontario Out of Doors, Outdoor Canada, Real Fishing (similar to the show), Just Fishing, Fishin' Canada...etc. Sometimes, you can find magazines to read at the library. I grew up on them as a kid, especially Ontario Out of Doors and Outdoor Canada.

TV shows are also great. I also grew up watching morning fishing programs...used to sneak up early and watch these shows with the volume down LOL.

I say this to a lot of people...a largemouth bass is just a largemouth bass...regardless of where it lives. It has certain requirements (temperature, seasonal life cycle, preferred habitats...etc). The difference between a Lake Erie Largemouth vs. Florida Largemouth vs. Hawaii Largemouth vs. Japan Largemouth is the available habitat, the local bait item and the seasonal changes of local climates. However, this is not to say that a Largemouth in Toronto cannot behave like a Tokyo Largemouth if it lives in similar habitat with similar food items. In fact, I would argue that two fish that live half a world away can behave EXACTLY the same if it lives in similar habitats across the world. The point of me in saying all this? It is for you to realize that what's more important than looking for local specific technique (SW Ontario) is for you to recognize the local habitats and forage items of your fishing areas, and then look for techniques that work for similar situations. You may not catch as many fish as someone who has patterned a local spot for 20 years, but with the right knowledge, you should always catch some fish regardless.

The great thing about magazines is that the information is timely and current. Some books can be rather dated and some techniques are not used anymore...especially when they involve lures that are discontinued. Magazines also covers a breadth of species and locations. Instead of focusing on specific species, it is important to read broadly, digest and distill the information, and see where it can fit into your fishing situation. There are many times in my travel that I've needed to adapt a certain technique for a specific situation...and often the solution is something that locals may not even think about.

I may not know how to catch a Largemouth Bass from Port Colborne under Hwy 3 in mid-July 2 days after it rains, but most of the time you don't need to get that specific at all. After all, I've caught 549 species from 4 continents, 11 countries, 12 states and 7 provinces. I can tell you that the majority of species that were caught no one ever write a book or a magazine article about techniques to catch them (ever heard of a Pacific Sleeper? Or Monkeyfaced Prickleback? How many people intentionally try to catch a Blackside Darter with hook and line?) The point is...I don't necessarily have a book or magazine to read about a certain species at a certain location...but using knowledge from other species at other locations, and adapting it to your current situation, you can do well.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info. My dad has a huge pile of old fishing mags that i never thought to look in other then while on the throne. I have been getting into watching fishing vids online, I picked up a few tips from "39 Hours" on the weekend