5 replies to this topic

#1 RiverStevens

RiverStevens

Sunfish

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:06 PM

Hey all,

Last year I fished out of my boat by myself. It was tough to set the hook, reel in the lines, stop the boat, bring up the other downrigger, fight the fish and net it. Needless to say, I lost a few monsters. I weighed in a few fish but fell short on the weekly leaderboard. If anyone wants to take part in the Great Ontario Salmon Derby this year, the entry fee is $125. They give away a car every week for 7 weeks for the largest fish caught that week as well as a ton of other great prizes. Check it out at http://www.greatontariosalmonderby.ca/  The tournament runs from July 2nd to August 20th. If you don't have a boat, we can use mine. I have a 21 foot Bayliner pleasure craft that I have customized for downrigging. It has a 125 HP motor which is water cooled and can run at 2.3 - 2.8 km which is a perfect trolling speed. We can also do nearly 70km per hour to quickly get out to those hard to reach fishing grounds. I have a Hummingbird FishFinder with GPS and tons of set-ups. I am set up with only 2 downriggers right now, which is legally all I can run fishing alone. I am not opposed to setting up 2 more with a partner. I have installed a marine carpeted platform on the back of my boat perfect for rigging so if you want to add a couple more set-ups, I would be fine with that. I would just expect that you split the gas with me. I worked out my gas bill to be around $10 per hour. Last year if I went out for 10 hours I would spend about $100 in gas for trolling, so for $50 you can fish the entire day and we take turns on hook-ups. I fish all day Saturday and all day Sunday as well as a few evenings after work during the tourney. You can join me as often as you wish. I typically start early mornings on the weekends and around 5pm - 9pm during the week. I launch from Ashbridges Bay which is pretty much at the bottom of the Don Valley Parkway. If you have any other questions, give me a shout at 416-797-2211.

P.S. Please don't respond if you just want a day out fishing, tournament rules clearly state that everyone in the boat requires a tournament ticket or anything caught will not qualify for prizes.

Regards,

Steve

~~~RiverStevens~~~

Attached Images

• fishx2.jpg

#2 RiverStevens

RiverStevens

Sunfish

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 05:36 PM

I cant take calls during the day. Please call after 5pm.

#3 myspacedave

myspacedave

Sunfish

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 08:30 PM

Yes, I see your post and am interested.

#4 Slickrick

Slickrick

Sunfish

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:08 PM

You should get a kicker motor, it will pay for itself with all the gas you save.

#5 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 10:21 PM

Bingo, a little 9.9 kicker can save you money and help you get off the lake just in case you main motor gives you problems.

#6 RiverStevens

RiverStevens

Sunfish

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 11:23 PM

A decent 9.9 hp kicker motor is about $1500. I spent about $3000 last year reinventing my boat... I ran out of cash.. I will look into it this year... but first off this year is the stereo system. :) When, I'm fighting a fish, I just have to crank up the tunes... they will hear me from the bluffs! 200 hours of fighting fish last year in silence just wont cut it this year. :) I understand gas is $2k... but if I buy a kicker motor, I cant fish for 3 months... my boat isn't a credit card company... most of us live paycheck to paycheck. $100 here and there is absolutely fine with me... If anyone is game, I'd love the company and help cut some costs... then maybe... if I'm lucky... I can upgrade... if not this year, definitely next... Boats are a wonderful thing, although they don't go up in value... they have a lot of stamina.