73 replies to this topic

#1 myspacedave

myspacedave

Sunfish

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 10:49 AM

Hey guys,

I've been hitting this trout fishing thing hard for a year now. I've been fishing since I was 4, but never this disciplined. I'm getting pretty frustrated not catching anything, especially now, learning a centre-pin. TBH guys, I'm out at least once a week, and trying your suggestions in different methods of depth, shot patterns, baits. I dunno what I'm doing wrong, but it's kind of getting embarrassing at this point. Do any of you guide? Or would be willing to join me for a morning to give me some pointers on what I'm doing wrong?

#2 Originalfives

Originalfives

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 12:38 PM

Steelheading takes time and patience, no need to feel embarrassed if you're not hooking up. It seems like you've already learned the basics already so its just a matter of time before you start hooking up on a consistent basis. Everyone has a different approach to catching steelhead and when you're trying to do things other people has done isn't always going to be successful for you. Too much information overload from people is really overwhelming cause you don't know where to start.

I like to set my rig up as soon as I know what type of water I'll be fishing in. This will take time setting up but at least you can set your rig according to the creek/river condition. Your float plays a factor as well. I've seen people using 11g floats in creeks and sure some may catch but that 11g float smashing the water will definitely scare the fishes along with your over size split shots on your rig. You should use different size floats according to the size of creek/river you fish (example: Bigger floats for bigger waters). Bait is probably the biggest factor as to why you're not catching. Have you ever been to a creek/river and ever notice no one is catching but then you see one guy slamming the crap out of the steelhead every cast. I bet everyone around is thinking the same thing, what is that person using. You should always keep a variety of different baits and don't be afraid to change up your bait if one thing isn't working.This doesn't mean that you're always going to catch cause your rig may not be properly set up as well.

You will have those days where people will be hitting fishes left and right and then there are those days where you may end up getting two bites only and its up to you to capitalize on those two hits. That's steelheading for you. That fever of hooking up is so addicting and makes you want to go out all the time. I know that's how I feel.

Im sure there are people on this forum who will be more than willing to share their knowledge in order for you to hook up. Let me know which creeks/river you like to fish and I'll be more than willing to share information with you.

#3 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 01:15 PM

You will have to have patience. Would like to know how many drifts you make in 1 pool- with 1 set up. I drift a minimum of 50 on 1 offering (mostly beads) in 1 spot before I start moving.

#4 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2016 - 01:43 PM

Hundreds of variables vs 1 fish.
My experience.
Key light line.
And colour colour colour.
To this day I watch for what the guys hooking up are using.
Don't have to use exact bait.
Just match the colour.
99% of the time I start hooking up.
PS don't tell anyone else.

#5 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 01:59 PM

It's leg work as well, you got to find the holes that are holding fish. Best time for scouting for me is in the summer when water levels are low. fish will hold in the same pocket even when water levels go up(fall/ winter).

#6 myspacedave

myspacedave

Sunfish

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 02:01 PM

Ok Dilli, that might be my problem. As mentioned above, I usually throw a variety of baits and depths out (usually pink/worm imitation/real OR beads with worm trails, or single cured jar eggs. Usually once I shot up, I vary the depth by moving my shots along the line, and that's it. I like to think I give spots more attention than the average steelheader, as I'm not confident in my technique/experience enough to hit the water with 10-15 casts and know that it's not going to happen.

I sadly, just plain don't really know if a spot is holding or not. I assume based on lighting/water depth/clarity. When people say set up rig on the water once you know, well I usually hit the same parking spots that have a couple others to walk over to fish and that's it. I feel like this approach is not really the greatest, and maybe I should be walking for a few km in a day, to actually see fish. I have quite a few of these "spots" but I usually fish close to the car based on habit, not preference. Bc of this, I can usually guesstimate my line and usually tie up the night before. Now with the centre-pin I don't do that because I don't even think I could fit it in my car. I gotta figure out how to cast with that damned thing before talking about catching anything... But I digress.

Guys, I've been eagerly awaiting your replies, and I thank you for your time in doing so. 

I would like to share my spots and everything, but I break enough rules on here, and moderators are kind enough to overlook it. Would we be able to continue this discussion in a private message situation?

#7 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2016 - 02:24 PM

No need for PM.
No one can catch you fish by explanation.
As I keep saying you can't get 20 yrs experience in less than 20 yrs.
Stick with the crowds .
Watch. Learn. And ask questions.
Eliminates the are fish here question cause their hooking up all around ya.
Like Dill said. Patience.
Lot more rewarding when you earn it.
You'll get there in time.
Fishing not catching.

#8 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 02:38 PM

I used to frequent openers...but i scout the close sections for a week before opener. look for the best spots and have plan a-e on where to go. and guess what, all these holes i tagged will still be occupied. it doesn't matter if you're the first in the spot. it's the opener. What I've learned over the years is to know the spots that fish are not visible to bare eyes. (polarized glasses is key).Meanhwile I will keep fishing for pike until it closes. I will hit the tribs after that.

#9 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2016 - 02:44 PM

Ha ha Dill.
YOU ARE THE PIKE GURU.
I have never known anyone so passionate for pike.
Pike on.

#10 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 02:57 PM

Only 8 days left brother. So might as well pound on them.Steels can wait.

#11 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 03:10 PM

First of all, learn how to cast first, then learn how to drift.

You can get the line right, shot pattern right and the bait right, but if you can't drift properly, nothing else will help. I've taken people out, set up all their rigs for them exactly like mine, but they don't have the feel for the right drift (speed, angle, depth)...and they can't hook up. I've had friend work through the entire pool for an hour and had nary a twitch on the float...when I walk up after they were done and hooked up on 3 consecutive casts...when they were fishing the same rigs and baits that I had set up for them.

The mistake that a lot of people make is to drift the same rig through the same pool. We know (I hope you do) that a pool has different composition to it - the head, the bowl and the tail. The head starts with faster current dumping into deeper slower current. There is one shot pattern and drift control for the head. The bowl usually has slower, more constant water. That's another shot pattern and drift control. The tail goes from deep slow water to fast shallow water. That's a third shot pattern and drift control.

If you rig up one depth (from float to bait) with one shot pattern, and drift through the entire pool, you will have the wrong presentation for at least a portion, or all of the pool. There is no compromising solution. There is only an optimizing solution. To optimize it, you need to break down the pool, work each section as a separate entity and set up your rig and your drift specifically for that section. This means instead of making 50-100ft "hero drift", you'll be making 15-20ft short drift. By breaking it down, you can also rotate through your bait quickly for each section, allowing you to sort through the questions of "Is it my bait, or is it my rig, or is it my drift?". When you make those long "hero drift" you can't answer the questions because there are simply too many variables to test, and you did not start from an optimized position to experiment. Always narrow down your variables.

With shorter drifts, there is less of a need to cast. You can often work through the pool with a preset amount of line out (enough for the drift). To start your drift, you can use your rod to swing and dip your rig and float into the water. At the end of the drift, you simply need to lift the rod to bring the line up and back toward you. With your free hand, you can "strip" in the line, or pull down as you lift the rod, effectively bringing your rig back to you. It's essentially similar to a roll cast in a sense. By reducing the casting distance, you gain control in your rig. You can swing and dip your rig and float more gently into the water, minimizing any spooking factor. By eliminating the need to pop your float at the end of every drift (pop the float to accelerate the rig so you can retrieve and start a new cast), you again minimize the spooking factor.

Even within a simple 3 section layout to the pool, there are still substructure to it. A log jam here, a boulder there, a rock ledge along the way. All these structures contribute to changes to current speed, and thus, how the bait will be presented in the water. Again, this will take more experimentation to find the right solution. If there is a log jam and a boulder in separate location of the pool, you should break that further down and concentrate first on one structure, then work on the other. The log jam may require to you use a shorter leader (so the current doesn't wash your bait too easily into the branches), while the boulder may require you to bunch more shots toward the bottom of your shot pattern so the current around the boulder doesn't cause your bait to rise out of the strike zone.

Lastly, as much as polarize sunglasses will help you locate fish, there are always fish that you will not see...especially fish deep in a log jam, fish tucked under a ledge, or simply fish that are in a deep green pool. You just have to have faith that there is the potential of a fish still in those areas, and work through your system.

Opener is really the best time for you to learn. The sheer number of fish allows you to make mistakes and try again. A pool packed with fish also tell you what type of habitat attracts fish...so when you are fishing during periods when fish are more spread out, the same pool may not hold 20 steelhead, but it is very likely to hold at least a couple of them. This is part of the confidence in your system, and your knowledge of the stream, that will help you catch fish.

#12 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2016 - 03:33 PM

Muskie . Great advice for the novice angler.
But I'm thinking you've confused the hell out of the rookie.
Simplify don't complicate. Lol
The knowledge you've just offered is great but can be very complicated to the new guy.
Baby steps.

#13 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:06 PM

Last paragraph of Muskie's post is the best advice you can get as a beginner. Opener the fish are pretty much all up rivers...they may move around pools but they are really not going anywhere until a few weeks after they're done spawning. Best time to familiarize how they behave on different runs of water, fast, deep, slow shallow. When they turn darker and easier to spot, that's what will tell you where they usually are. Then you can apply it next fall and winter when they're almost invisible and silver.

#14 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:23 PM

Agree totally TI, great breakdown and play by play but at the end of the day it takes allot of outings ,patients and variety of presentations and setups.

#15 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2016 - 04:24 PM

True enough.
Apply what we as individuals can absorb.
We all have our own learning curve.

#16 rick james

rick james

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 05:41 PM

I agree experience is key, no amount of written advice will replace that. Having said that, even a single outing with a good guide can really set you on the right track particularly with improving technique like centrepin casting. I highly recommend Graham Bristow from A Perfect Drift guide company.I learnt the basics of centrepinning from him and I continue to learn up to date tactics each time I go out with him. 

#17 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 06:03 PM

Fish green roe bags on the current seams

#18 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 06:43 PM

Don't have time to read through this whole thread but I think I have the gist of it..

You said you fish at least once per week for steelhead...

Have you ever fished a week straight? Or a month, at least half of the days?

Secondly, I've met GUIDES who caught squat, zip, zilch, nada, at this time of year. UNTIL they started going for the evening bite. 

Guaranteed if I took you steelheading you would flip many misconceptions around 180 degrees from conventional "steelheading advice" and you would be surprised. Problem is, I don't even have the time to take myself fishing! Lol

In March I say don't bother going before evening, unless it hasn't rained for a while and then a solid rain hits. This is when they run in massive numbers all day long. Don't wait for the water to clear! I can't believe how often I see/read "the water colour was perfect, finally cleared". By the time the water has cleared, so have 90% of the fish!

Bring worms, spinners, and roe. All three are very productive in the spring. 

#19 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2016 - 07:04 PM

K

#20 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 07:17 PM

I once took a co worker out fishing. It took me almost a year but I finally gave in. He was enthusiastic about fishing and seemed to me that he had a bit of conservation in him, man was I wrong. I took  him to a few pools that get stacked and are  very easy to fish , he had a lot of fun running a live worm under a float. I think that day we had a 23 fish day out of one pool alone. He took one home and said his family loved it. Well that was the last time me and him went out together and that was fine with me. A few weeks later I go out with my fishing buddy's and sure enough there's my co worker with his brother and cousins and kids lawn chairs cooler and all. He introduced me and I said hi and moved on to the next pool. My pals kept quite and didn't say anything to me, but I knew they had figured out what had happened. My one fishing buddy is retired and the one that got me in to float fishing and on the pin. Every now and then he calls me up and says ,guess who was fishing our pool again, wow that family is getting bigger.