• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 myspacedave

myspacedave

Sunfish

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:20 AM

Naw man, I got them delivered to my work so i can chill them immediately, and keep it cool while we tie up.

#62 Fishbully

Fishbully

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:42 AM

Started with rainbow roe, 3 colours of bags, and thread. Looking forward to stinking up my chef's office ;)

Love their roe but find it lacks scent. The Fish dont seem to mind

#63 myspacedave

myspacedave

Sunfish

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:32 AM

At the moment, I'm just hoping to save some money on buying prepared bait. I'll get more refined once I learn things the hard way. That's my way...

#64 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:49 AM

We're all for saving $$$ dave. That's a good start and even rewarding when you catch one. I use about 5 eggs for dirty water. 2-3 eggs on gin clear. but I mostly don't use eggs anymore although I still have a quarter of a lb salmon eggs from 2 seasons frozen. just think it saves me time to use beads now.

#65 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:56 AM

lol i still have 2lbs of salmon eggs and 1lb of rainbow eggs in my freezer from 4 seasons ago.  switched to flies and never looked back

#66 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:32 AM

Start swinging flies!  Ditch the pin.

#67 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 11:00 AM

I know opener is just around the corner but i'm salivating on resis already. and would hit the rivers hard with dries this season...but opener IMO is still a beaders game. last season I lost a dozen or more flies that still hurt my pocket more than losing 3 packs of beads.

#68 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 11:05 AM

I use beads on my fly rod, but as far a opener, I stay away the first 2 days. I already booked off the Monday and Tuesday for fishing in hopes the crowds are thinner.

#69 myspacedave

myspacedave

Sunfish

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 11:35 AM

As i just got the CP reel and I'm frankly not interested, currently, in the style of fly fishing. I want to learn this technique first, then maybe play with floating some flies and see how I feel about it. I'm loving my new rod and reel, and also the bead life. They just stay where they need to. I also just started with beads, so expanding with colours and just plain getting a fish on them would be nice, but right now, I'm just trying to sort out the basics for myself. I thought 25 years+ of fishing in my childhood taught me a lot, but it was really just shits and giggles. I take it a lot more seriously now, especially conservation.

#70 NMCMLK

NMCMLK

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 April 2016 - 06:38 PM

I'm a complete beginner as well, and using a spin reel too..

But it doesn't bother me i just love being at the river, sometimes I walk up to 10+km scouting and studying the water. I'm very much enjoying being at this stage; every day there's interesting things to learn if you're observant.

I've also begun a journal to document everything for each outing.

Guides can be quite expensive ($400+)

#71 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:03 AM

Whenever I take someone out for fishing the opener. I make sure they get all the generic pools. Lol. I keep my sacred pools pristine and untouched.

#72 Berg

Berg

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:30 PM

As i just got the CP reel and I'm frankly not interested, currently, in the style of fly fishing. I want to learn this technique first, then maybe play with floating some flies and see how I feel about it. I'm loving my new rod and reel, and also the bead life. They just stay where they need to. I also just started with beads, so expanding with colours and just plain getting a fish on them would be nice, but right now, I'm just trying to sort out the basics for myself. I thought 25 years+ of fishing in my childhood taught me a lot, but it was really just shits and giggles. I take it a lot more seriously now, especially conservation.

As a guy who tried taking up pinning and fly fishing in the same season, I can say this is a good idea. Still haven't caught a steelhead on the fly but have caught many on the pin. Learned about their lies, their fighting habits, etc with the pin and can apply that to fly fishing now. Fly fishing has the biggest learning curve of all styles, IMO.

#73 NMCMLK

NMCMLK

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 09:22 AM

mmm fly fishing....a future goal of mine as well  :cool:

#74 tombo

tombo

Sunfish

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 12:10 PM

I use beads on my fly rod, but as far a opener, I stay away the first 2 days. I already booked off the Monday and Tuesday for fishing in hopes the crowds are thinner.

Did exactly same, didnt work well though. Weather was crap, and only 1 fish. Guess there were a cpl hot rivers at opener but I guessed wrong. I fished Bayfield and Saugeen.