• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 sketty55

sketty55

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 12:58 PM

Hey all. I've never actually seen salmon in the spring but took a walk down to the credit river last week and didn't see anything. Reading online, many sites suggest that that they can be seen after the spring "thaw" so maybe I have already missed it. With this crazy weather we have been having, I'm just not sure. What month can they usually be spotted? Thanks! 

#2 Will

Will

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 01:51 PM

Hey Sketty - the only salmon that run in the spring are actually called Rainbow Trout - which is actually a salmon, as opposed to a trout or a char. In the lower Credit River it will typically be pretty difficult to actually spot them. They'll be running right now and throughout April, likely into May as well, mainly when the water rises after a rain. They can be spotted more easily in small, clear creeks, where fishing is banned until April 23rd.

#3 Originalfives

Originalfives

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 02:33 PM

You just missed the run out by the mouth.

#4 Pescado

Pescado

Earthworm

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:04 PM

Check out the Credit from Sept to Nov....lots of fish to see.

#5 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 11 April 2016 - 09:28 PM

There are salmon that run in the spring here in Southern Ontario, but it's incredibly rare. A lot of experienced fisherman here aren't even aware that it happens. 

#6 myspacedave

myspacedave

Sunfish

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 09:13 AM

Oncorhynchus mykiss... Oncorhynchus is a species of Pacific Salmon and Pacific Trout. Name means "hooked nose"

Copied right outta wiki :P

#7 Originalfives

Originalfives

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 April 2016 - 11:00 AM

If you time it correctly, you can catch salmon at the mouth during the spring time. There's a small window to catch and after that might as well wait til the fall run.

#8 DitchWizard

DitchWizard

Perch

• Active Members
  • 693 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 07:05 PM

There are more springers than you think, I'll catch more of them than steelhead some days....

#9 FishChaser67

FishChaser67

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:51 AM

Never seen any in the spring but lots in the fall

#10 Chrome Bullets

Chrome Bullets

Sunfish

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 11:28 AM

I catch Coho salmon in the Spring and Chinook In the fall. There are tons of Coho around the area I fish right now. They are not really around in the fall for some reason but throughout April they are everywhere within the river and into the lake. Ive noticed over the last two weeks they are pushing further out into the lake. This is the time of year I fish Coho...... they are definitely around in numbers right now.

I had a video but it wont let me share it for some reason

#11 Chrome Bullets

Chrome Bullets

Sunfish

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 11:38 AM

"https://www.youtube....ed/mskv8nBPur0"

#12 FishChaser67

FishChaser67

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 11:41 AM

I catch Coho salmon in the Spring and Chinook In the fall. There are tons of Coho around the area I fish right now. They are not really around in the fall for some reason but throughout April they are everywhere within the river and into the lake. Ive noticed over the last two weeks they are pushing further out into the lake. This is the time of year I fish Coho...... they are definitely around in numbers right now.

I had a video but it wont let me share it for some reason

Nice would like to get them in the spring