• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 NMCMLK

NMCMLK

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 10:57 AM

Found this encouraging article for starters like me who can't get their hands on a CP yet :???: . Thought this might prove helpful for other greenhorns.

http://www.ramblingf...2/spinfloating/

I'll be practicing small drifts and slowly increasing in range as I practice free spooling the line with the bail up. Apparently this is the old way lol, but oh well..

I've also run into difficulties with line twist, and I think my problem was a missing swivel or two (or even a larger swivel perhaps) to avoid the constant twist and potential for bird nesting.

I was out yesterday and the water was high, fast, muddy and it was windy; extremely difficult conditions with this sort of setup, I quickly realized. Much to learn! 

#2 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 11:18 AM

Stay at it and you will get better in no time. Majority of the steel headers on here all started on spinning gear. Tip , cast up stream close the bail and keep your rod tip up almost 90 degrees . You will notice now that you are holding your float back. Start lowering your tip now facing your float and it will start moving with the current. When you end up with the tip of your rod to the lowest point then you have two options. You can pull up and set the hook( usually done at the end of a drift) or second you can open your bail lift your rod tip fast close your bail and continue your drift. It takes practice but when you get used to it you will be getting nice long drifts and your line will always be taught and ready to set the hook.

#3 NMCMLK

NMCMLK

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 11:43 AM

Thanks for the detailed tip freek, I'll practice this. When you speak about holding the float back, is this the same thing as "cocking" the float?

#4 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 03:08 PM

No, cocking the float is when you put just enough weights on your line and the float sits in the water vertical and not totally submerged. Controlling the float with the road instead of open bail and holding on to your line with your hand.

#5 Rainbow

Rainbow

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 03:36 PM

I personally wouldn't recommend a spinning reel for float fishing on rivers, but it'll still work fine in a lot of situations.

#6 Berg

Berg

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 03:47 PM

Thought cocking the float meant making sure it's on an angle, so that your presentation is definitely ahead of it in the water column. Lots of guys on Huron tribs will keep their float on a steep angle and stop it now and then to make sure the presentation is well ahead of it. Even when you have tapered the split shot down to the finest shot just above your presentation, the faster water is still at the surface so you still need to cock the float if you want it behind the presentation. That's my interpretation at least. 

Also I've heard of guys disengaging the anti-reverse on their spinning reel and spinning in reverse at the speed of the current - another way you can make sure the hookset is immediate. Just make sure it's re-engaged before that fish runs or it will get messy.

#7 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 03:59 PM

I have friends who are not ready for a pin yet. ($$$) and they're not sure if that's something they want to have as well. a different rod to boot, line and set up. I had them show up with me on a creek with small pools and practice short casting....spinning, baitcaster reels, they did ok, and actually caught fish. but of course, centerpin is far more effective. But yeah i've met some guys on the river who have mastered drifting with spinning setup.

#8 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 04:02 PM

Thought cocking the float meant making sure it's on an angle, so that your presentation is definitely ahead of it in the water column. Lots of guys on Huron tribs will keep their float on a steep angle and stop it now and then to make sure the presentation is well ahead of it. Even when you have tapered the split shot down to the finest shot just above your presentation, the faster water is still at the surface so you still need to cock the float if you want it behind the presentation. That's my interpretation at least. 

Also I've heard of guys disengaging the anti-reverse on their spinning reel and spinning in reverse at the speed of the current - another way you can make sure the hookset is immediate. Just make sure it's re-engaged before that fish runs or it will get messy.

on a tapered shot setup, I try to load up 4 splits under the float, it slows it down and keeps my hook ahead. but you are right, most anglers would rather stop the float to keep the hook ahead. i do it sometimes.

#9 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2016 - 04:32 PM

Even when loaded properly as Dill said.
I always automatically hold back the float for an instant on every drift. Sometimes necessary again when drifting back swirls even. I've never tried CP myself and basic math proves it's more effective.
But I do hold my own with my spinning reel.

#10 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 04:56 PM

Cocking the float means up right position.

#11 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2016 - 05:05 PM

Cocking the float means up right position.

Yes. You are correct.
But just because the float is upright does not mean your presentation is at front.
Especially with long leads.And slower water.

#12 TheKraken

TheKraken

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 05:10 PM

I'm in the same boat brother. I've been having issues casting up stream and keeping the line taught so I've started casting straight in front of me a good 5 6 feet ahead of the pool. Just enough to tighten up the line and close the bail then I've been hand feeding line out with drag set fairly low and it's been working out ok for me. I also tried thumbing the reel with the bail open just like a bait caster but hand feeding it is easier has been more productive for me.

Any advice is always greatly appreciated when trying to mimic the presentation of a level wind with a spin set up. Thanks for the article.

#13 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2016 - 05:22 PM

No need for any of that.
Simply pull off 10 - 25 ft of drag .
Cast upstream.
This is where having an 11 to 13 ft rod comes in.
Simply lift the rod as line starts to slack and set the hook when float submerges stops or starts heading up stream. Lol
I never cast as per opening bail.
I simply pull line in by hand and throw my presentation out again. Only time I actually reel in is when a fish hits.
Sorry if this sounds complicated because it's the complete opposite of complicated.
Have been using this method for YEARS .

#14 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2016 - 05:40 PM

Of course if your fishing somewhere huge like the Niagara.
Go for it and open bail and cast away.
But the smaller tribs that I fish like the Gan Credit big head and so on your limited to tighter space and smaller pools and runs. Not to mention the crowds.

It all comes with experience.
And nothing more frustrating than a new pinner who insists on drifting 100 ft.
But again. Experienced CP guys know when to hero drift.

#15 TheKraken

TheKraken

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 08:15 PM

I've got a 9' daiwa and an 11' streamside. Usually the daiwa is my go to for stream fishing. It's just Alot easier getting it in and out of the brush if I'm going to put in some leg work to work a long stretch of water.

What kind of line are you using? Usually after I get around 4-5 foot of line out ot starts to tangle. That being said I just re spooled my reel with braid haven't been out wit the new line yet.

#16 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 08:51 PM

Yes. You are correct.
But just because the float is upright does not mean your presentation is at front.
Especially with long leads.And slower water.

I know that's why you need to hold back you'r float and let the presentation lead. 

#17 Berg

Berg

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:05 PM

I know that's why you need to hold back you'r float and let the presentation lead. 

Haha which is called cocking the float! 

#18 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 09:50 PM

I think we need to get off our lab tops and get some drifts in LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 Berg

Berg

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 10:03 PM

You're right. Jonesing.

#20 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2016 - 12:10 PM

I've got a 9' daiwa and an 11' streamside. Usually the daiwa is my go to for stream fishing. It's just Alot easier getting it in and out of the brush if I'm going to put in some leg work to work a long stretch of water.

What kind of line are you using? Usually after I get around 4-5 foot of line out ot starts to tangle. That being said I just re spooled my reel with braid haven't been out wit the new line yet.

When bushwhacking always break the rod down.