7 replies to this topic

#1 Brown_recluse

Brown_recluse

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:58 AM

Hey All

I'm fairly new to fly fishing, only starting last Spring, and am just trying to learn from the internet since I don't really have anyone to teach me.  For the record, I believe in respecting the environment and practice catch and release for the most part (unless I'm taking one home to eat!). 

On another thread I saw someone was asking about a few dead fish drifting downstream, and a few people brought up the fact that using a light leader / tippet could cause strain on the fish and cause it's death after it's released due to the stress of the fight.  From what I read, I was under the impression that using a light tippet and leader for trough is more practical because they spook easily.  

I am planning on targeting smaller browns / brookies and rainbows (no steelies) this weekend with a 5wt. 9".  I was going to use 10lb test, .235mm dia. Sunline (just a regular monofilament I use for bass fishing) as my leader and 6x 3.5lb test .13mm tippet.  Since I am going to be targeting resident fish in a West Trib, I figure this would do ..

I'm more concerned about is if that leader/tippet will cause too much strain.  I'm willing to change it but I need to know sooner than later!

Thanks for any advice

#2 Paul1913

Paul1913

Perch

• Active Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:23 AM

I'd say that some of the ones you are seeing are definitely being overworked on small tippets and not being revived properly but some also have a vitamin deficiency .

Don't go too small of a tipped like a 2lb. Go 6-10 is usually what I use for steel head.

Proper fish handling after the catch has a lot to play with it too. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:39 AM

If you're targeting resis, your tippet is fine. I don't believe on spooking fish with your line. I caught trout on 6lb 8lb mono as long as you sneak up on them.

#4 Berg

Berg

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 12:27 PM

Some will say that the tippet and leader should be matched to fly size for proper landing of a dry fly for example.

If you're worried about strain but also don't want to spook them, you can try fluoro on the leader or tippet.

3.5 should be fine for small fish. You can probably still horse them in on that.

Some people use 4lb for steelhead, that would be more likely to exhaust the fish.

#5 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:01 PM

buy the tapered leaders, and a roll of tippet material, by using just 10lb mono and then straight to a 3.5lb tippet,  you will get a hinge effect on your cast, and your fly slap the water instead of land softly, you want your line to roll, not flop. it will work in a pinch, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a leader

#6 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:08 PM

heres what you want, for brookies around gta, so with 7x 2.75lb, or 4lb, anything else, go 6lb or heavier

http://www.rioproduc...-leader-2-pack/

#7 Brown_recluse

Brown_recluse

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:38 PM

Thanks all for the good info!  I am more concerned about safely releasing fish than being overly effective.  Realistically, might as well take another dinner home if I'm going to release it to die in 24 hours because of mishandling.  

I've been using the 10lb test mainly because I needed practice with knots, but I think I've got them down now so I may as well get the tapered leader.  Excited to get down to the water with this!

#8 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 11:00 PM

get a roll of cheap string from the dollar store to practice knots.  make you use the loop to loop connections, and just learn either the surgeons knot or blood knot for tying on new tippet material