• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:18 PM

Has anyone here used or have any experience with furled leaders? I was thinking about trying them out, but want to hear some feed back if anyone has any. From what I have read online them seem to be good for dry fly fishing ( kink resistant, almost no memory, not prone to wind knots, smooth turn over, durable last for seasons not days....etc...etc... ). So to me the sound pretty interesting.

Was looking at this company: They seem to be highly rated online:  www.streamsideleaders.com

#2 Berg

Berg

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:16 PM

Jeez, haven't tried them myself but sounds like a no brainer.

#3 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:29 PM

I know..... but was hoping for some one that has used them to chime in. I will probably "bite" the bullet and order a couple.

#4 Xca

Xca

Sunfish

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:07 PM

I ordered a pack and got different types.
The dry fly leader is awesome. Turns flies delicately.
The czech leader is not too bad but doesnt work as well as mono with wind.
Got the streamer / spey but havent tried it yet. But not convinced that about sinking rate.

If i was going to buy again, i would definitely get the leader for dry fishing. Not so much for other methods.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

#5 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:01 AM

i haven't used them myself, maybe pinswing or swing4steel or ir4j will have some info for ya

#6 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:11 AM

Thanks Xca, for that feed back, I was only looking at the leaders for dries.

Thanks FF I was hoping one of them might have some info or feed back for me. I guess I will wait and see if they chime in. :)

#7 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:16 AM

check these guys out as well, i've been mulling over it as well.

https://www.cutthroa...ed-leaders.html

#8 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 01:24 AM

Yeah I have checked them out also FF. I think when I order some I will do a few from a couple of companies to try them out. That way I can see if there are differences between them.

Here is a couple other companies I have been looking at: www.blueskyfly.com   &   www.moonlitflyfishing.com .

#9 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:36 AM

Hey Xca, if you don't mind me asking what company do you use??? Also what lengths did you order.

#10 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:10 PM

Ill start by saying I dont currently use furled leaders for any purpose (anymore)

Back when I was casting glass and bamboo (occasionally) and strictly fishing dry flies I would use furled leaders as more of a throwback of sorts to previous generations of casters... I really enjoy the light turn over and delicate presentation of the fly, along with the smooth loops and overall durability (read further)

However I stopped using them because they became expensive for the areas I was fishing, and I found that the odd larger fish I hooked would stretch the leaders into a coiled mess. Let me get back to the durability and my first comment in this paragraph. I often find myself fishing the smaller waters, lots of areas with overhanging brush, tight cut banks and wood. Seeing as I am in no way a perfect caster and I occasionally donate the odd fly to mother nature, I was finding that when I would get hung up I would have to cross the river to pick out my fly opposed to breaking it off (above mentioned coils under tension). 

I would maybe consider using them again if I was fishing open water up stream dry fly everyday... however I dont, I doubt many people do around here. If you'd like to have a dedicated rod for these purposes I would definitely suggest them, I used blue sky and feather craft when I could find them. But seeing as I will also have spools of mono on me anyways I cant really justify the $20+ for a furled leader... but thats just my 2c

#11 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:13 PM

Ill also add this exert from a conversation with Jim Cramer (become a thinking fly tier)

Advantages 

o Memory Free

o Positive turnover provides increased accuracy

o Reduced micro-drag

o Natural elasticity protects light tippets

o Gentle presentation eliminates leader slap

o Compatible with a wide variety of tippet sizes

o User Friendly, not prone to wind knots (however one can form wind knots if they try, *S*) 

o High-visibility assists the angler in the tracking
small flies in adverse light conditions

o Good retention of paste floatants

o Excellent knot strength

o Far less spray than hollow braided leaders, comparable to monofilament leaders

o Inexpensive, if you make your own

o Custom leaders can be designed with a wide latitude in tapers and characteristics to meet many angling situations

o Good longevity, reports of leaders lasting several seasons are not uncommon

Disadvantages

o Positive turnover increases difficulty with curve and 'trick' casts

o Thread leaders can mildew if put away wet in a warm dark place

o Will collect dirt if used in scum covered waters and will not float until cleaned

o Knots are difficult to remove

o Keep you back cast up as the leaders are very difficult to remove from the brush

#12 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:29 PM

Thanks IR4J, lots of good feedback, I appreciate it. So I guess I should state this will be used in a area I fish that is a quit open creek, also it will be on a 3 weight rod that is a "true" moderate action. I was looking at them solely for dry fly fishing.

Also as I have heard that it is possible to coil the leader if this happens, is this true or am I incorrect in that info.

Again I really appreciate the feedback ( lots of good stuff there ).  If there is any thing else you can tell me please do.

#13 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:36 PM

I dont think Ive got anything else for you, they are worth the try "you'll never know until you go" philosophy 

#14 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:45 PM

Cheers IR4J, I will probably order a couple to see what they are all about.

Thanks again for the info and help.

#15 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:59 PM

Sorry I should add some lengths, I was always using roughly 3-4 feet of mono to reduce chance of spooking fish... I would try and be 1 foot over my rod length with my leader... (obviously you can do more or less but thats my general opinion/understanding) 9' rods would like 76 inch furled and so on...

#16 Xca

Xca

Sunfish

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:10 PM

Hey Xca, if you don't mind me asking what company do you use??? Also what lengths did you order.

Hey Caddis,

I use Cutthroat Leaders. 

IR4J summarized everything :)

For me, the 2 most annoying things are :

- Dry the leader after use. (I am lazy)

- Tangles ... (really hard to remove if you get a wind/bad caster knot)

On my 9' i use the 76" and on my 7'6" i use 68". All with tippet rings.

#17 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 08:47 PM

So I ordered up a couple of leaders, should arrive next week. Looking forward to trying them. So I order 2 dry lines from Streamside, I bought a 6 foot and also a 7 1/2 footer one is a 2-4 weight  and other is a 3-5 weight compatible leader both with a 2mm tippet rings. Will be using them on a 4 weight 9 foot Fenwick Aetos at first and then try them on a 3 weight 7'6" Orvis Superfine glass rod.

Both are their Mystic Creek Guide Series leaders .Attached are the colours I decided to go with. 

Attached Images

• Green bumble bee colour mix.jpg
  • Orange Hopper colour mix.jpg