• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 TMAK007

TMAK007

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 396 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:35 AM

Count me in, I'll target carp this summer starting now. When I have a picture, I'll post onto this thread. I'll be fishing carp in Markham. I had a red common carp earlier before bass season opened. No picture so it doesn't count. I'll let you know if I catch anything.

#22 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 12:50 PM

#23 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2016 - 01:00 PM

Nice REEL Pump.
Chick just as impressive. lol
How ya enjoying the drag and power on the stradic.

#24 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2016 - 01:04 PM

Oh yes.
Name brand corn catches wayyyyy bigger fish.
Get what ya pay for.

#25 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 01:24 PM

I'm lovin the new reel but I screwed up on the first carp. 

I had the drag set too tight #fail

#26 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2016 - 01:31 PM

ha ha.
You'll have it dialed in , in no time.
C14 Stradic actually even easier to dial in.
AWESOME reels.

#27 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2016 - 01:39 PM

Don't feel to bad on the drag oops.
You obviously have your rod and reel set up correctly.
Proper set up means.
The line breaks.
Not the rod. ha

#28 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 03:18 PM

Peaches n cream....is that the secret weapon to carp? Every guy I go carp fishing with have those in their arsenal....

#29 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2016 - 03:28 PM

Peaches n cream....is that the secret weapon to carp? Every guy I go carp fishing with have those in their arsenal....

Quaker oats our secret as kids.
Boiled water oats, sugar, and roll into balls.
We had a blast.

#30 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 03:59 PM

Quaker oats our secret as kids.
Boiled water oats, sugar, and roll into balls.
We had a blast.

Don't have time for all of that. Just corn+hair rig+ beaded ties..cast it out , sip coffee and help my kids with their homework....

#31 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2016 - 04:23 PM

Don't have time for all of that. Just corn+hair rig+ beaded ties..cast it out , sip coffee and help my kids with their homework....

ha ha.
Till all hell breaks loose.

#32 fisherman2280

fisherman2280

Sunfish

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 04:36 PM

Anyone know where you can pick up some hair rigs? Usually try to make them myself but I'm sure the store's would have better quality.

Thanks

#33 ChromeAddict

ChromeAddict

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 05:17 PM

I think sail sells premade hair rigs. Tying them yourself should work just as well though. 

#34 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 10:57 AM

Anyone know where you can pick up some hair rigs? Usually try to make them myself but I'm sure the store's would have better quality.

Thanks

Sail has a selection of them!

Personally I find learning to do it yourself is not just cheaper but better quality!

I use 15lb Power pro that didnt fit when spooling up one of my reels, take off about 20-30" of line - always use something weaker than your mainline, I use 20lbs for my carp setups as I fish many rocky bottom drop offs, tie a double knot loop on one side (making the loop about an inch long when pulled straight). Put the untied end of the line through the loop of the hook up until the knot, wrap it around the hook 10-20 times, and slide the end of the line back out of the loop for the hook. If your fancy enough, (as I am) I bought little tapered angled sleeves which you slide onto your hook/knot to protect it from unraveling and so fourth but I have only acquired them this year. These sleeves put a small angle in the way your hook sits from your line to help "hook" the fish but I have used it for years without the sleeve without any issues. Then I slide a small tapered rubber sleeve (straight piece) on the line before tying another double looped knot with a smaller loop (about 1/2" this time).

The reason for the second loops is I bought swivels with a hook on one side - picture attached (that gets covered with the rubber sleeve). The advantage of this is you can change your hair rigs without having to cut your line each time. This allows you to try different lengths of hairs, hair rigs, different size hooks and presentations. I have some setup specifically for boiles and others for maize (corn).

Attached Images

• 1.jpg

#35 fisherman2280

fisherman2280

Sunfish

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:05 PM

Nice tip TheTallOutdoorsmen but I don't fish carp often but when I have they fight dam nice.

#36 fisherman2280

fisherman2280

Sunfish

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:08 PM

my recipe:

Vanila, Corn meal, brown sugar.

Mix it all up and roll into balls, place them in the oven on a metal sheet for just a little bit until they get a little harder but not cooked solid.

Let them set and the next day your golden.

What I have always used because everyone throws corn so change it up. 

Always wanted to try  buying some of those things that call boilies.

#37 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:18 AM

Aha im hoping to make/experiment with boilies more next year. Maize is cheap (50lb bag of uncooked corn is ~$15) When you boil the corn it actually expands 2-3 times its size (ALWAYS BOIL UNCOOKED CORN) the fish will be at risk otherwise, the kernels expand after they have ingested it and can kill them.

Regards,

#38 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:23 AM

ha ha

popcorn

#39 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:38 PM

Everyone always complains about carp being invasive and a garbage fish, but I don't see the point in causing them any harm! All they do is clean up after us!

#40 bharkasaig

bharkasaig

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 10:01 PM

I just started fishing carp this summer. As with much of my other fishing, it was a total failure.

One thing I noticed is that my store bought boilies would come out of the water after 15 minutes to an hour looking just like they went in. Am I mistaken that boilies should slowly dissolve?