10 replies to this topic

#1 ryangarnett

ryangarnett

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:15 PM

Hello All,

I was wondering if there are any tenkara fishers in the GTA who would be willing to teach a new dog some tricks? I purchased a tenkara rod last month and would love to learn some of the techniques, know hows, etc. from some people.

Thanks,

Ryan

#2 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 04:22 PM

If you don't mind me asking, what rod do you have? Is it a 5:5 or 6:4 or 7:3. ? Are you using furled or level line?

#3 ryangarnett

ryangarnett

Earthworm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:51 PM

I have the DragonTail Komodo, its a 6:4 rod that can be used at two sizes, 9' and 10.5'. I purchased a furled line. I wanted to use level lines, but could not find any available in Toronto. I have since purchased nymphing line and have made four different length "level line"; 7' 10', 15', and 20'.

http://www.tenkaraou...ail-komodo/chr7

#4 Woolman

Woolman

Earthworm

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:13 AM

I live in Ottawa but travel to the GTA frequently with my Tenkara gear (Love to fish Highway 7 on the way home). If you know some good spots, I'd be happy to join you. I'm usually available on weeknights after 5pm but with the long summer days that leaves plenty of fishing time.

Let me know.

#5 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 07:11 AM

I current use a Dragontail Shadowfire 6:4 12 foot, I currently only use furled lines. I am located in Stoney Creek. Maybe we should all get together for a day of Tenkara.

#6 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:26 PM

Have to mention now having fished tenkara quite a bit  I find it to be a very effective way to fish small creeks and streams, also any area with lots of tight quarters and heavy cover. The presentation of the fly on tenkara is to put it simply "perfect". Also pin point accuracy. I am sold on tenkara, but it will never replace western style fly fishing, I just look at it as another effective tool too fly fish.  I would recommend any one to try it.

#7 Squiggloneous

Squiggloneous

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:21 AM

hey, i live in north etobicoke, i know quite a bit about tenkara. i have rods from 9ft-28ft for trout to carp to salmon. hit me up if u wanna fish, humber river is always a good place to fish salmon in the fall

#8 Swany93

Swany93

Sunfish

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:26 PM

I'm curious about Tenkara rods, what were they originally intended for? Small stream fishing? I do a lot of small stream fly fishing.

#9 Squiggloneous

Squiggloneous

Earthworm

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:54 PM

Tenkara was used for commercial stream fishing in Japan long ago. They used bamboo poles and horsehair line. They knew it was the only way to produce fish in numbers in the rocky mountain streams they lived by. Also a form of tenkara was used in italy long ago.

#10 finnigan

finnigan

Sunfish

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 04:42 PM

I live in Ottawa but travel to the GTA frequently with my Tenkara gear (Love to fish Highway 7 on the way home). If you know some good spots, I'd be happy to join you. I'm usually available on weeknights after 5pm but with the long summer days that leaves plenty of fishing time.
Let me know.

When ppl say fish highway 7 are they referring to all the creeks that head north out of Lake Ontario? I've heard "fish highway 7" a few times. I also take the 407 quite often and always wonder what some of those creeks might hold.

#11 BearInTheWoods

BearInTheWoods

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:20 AM

Check out this guys youtube, not very big but he does all sorts of tenkara and hes local. Maybe even ask him to hook up and show you the ropes :)
https://www.youtube....sxEk0Kmx1sFrVOA

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tenkara, fly fishing