Photo

where to buy smaller wooly buggers in Toronto?

fly fishing wooly bugger

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 wantbrowns

wantbrowns

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 06:59 PM

Hi, everyone. In order to save a lot of time "running around" that could be better spent fishing, would appreciate it if OFF members could kindly suggest shops in Toronto that sell (bead head) wooly buggers in sizes 16 to 12. Not very small a size for flies in general, I know, but tried a couple places and only found this type of streamer in sizes like 8 and 6.

Prefer buying them piecemeal, but will settle for commercial sets if all in set in the 16 to 12 size range. Thanks in advance.

Attached Images

• $_27 (65).JPG

#2 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 07:11 PM

Have you tried Drift Outfitters?

http://www.driftoutfitters.com/

Give them a call first if they have stock.

#3 wantbrowns

wantbrowns

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 07:27 PM

Thanks, R, will do so tomorrow.

Btw, if I am not quick in replying to suggestions, everyone, chalk that up to yard work, etc lol. Also, this three posts per day policy needs rethinking ... at least in regard to one's own threads

#4 ChromeAddict

ChromeAddict

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:05 PM

Definitely call Drift Outfitters. Also, ask for Chris if you need a custom order done, he ties some incredible looking flies. 

#5 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:26 PM

size 12's you can get easily enough, but a size 16 is pretty darn small and would most likely require a custom order. especially for a beadhead, since a bead that small would be VERY tough to find

#6 wantbrowns

wantbrowns

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:27 PM

K, thx, Chrome. Always good to have the name of someone at the shop.

Well, that's three posts :(

#7 wantbrowns

wantbrowns

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:33 PM

Thx, FF. Only guys I know who have size 16 WBs tie their own, but are not the kind of ppl u ask for favours unless u like being reminded by that person that they DID do u a favour over and over again lol

Cheers, everyone

#8 ChromeAddict

ChromeAddict

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:56 PM

I usually don't have trouble finding 3/32'' beads for nymphs. A sz 16 bugger definitely isn't something most shops would carry though. 

#9 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 06:05 AM

Try kype fish

#10 wantbrowns

wantbrowns

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 04:35 PM

Thx, S4S, and again, Chrome.

Sent an email to driftoutfitters last night and Chris kindly and promptly emailed the following back this AM:

We do have some bead head wooly buggers in size 12, the 14’s and 16’s can be tied for you if you wish. All flies are sold by the piece, wooly buggers would go for $4 a piece.

Looks like I will def be heading there this week (hope street parking down there is managable :/ ). Obviously, DO must be a great place if it's the one everyone here recommends.

Thx again. Cheers

#11 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 06:27 PM

Chris seems like a cool kid and he ties great flies, but I wouldn't pay 4 bucks for a wolly bugger. For the price of 4 you could tie 50

#12 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 06:51 PM

Wow four bucks for a single bugger???  That is outrageous.

#13 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 08:24 PM

yea, $4 is too steep, they sell for $1.50-$2.00 everywhere

#14 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 08:58 PM

$2.50 - $4 for a wooly bugger sounds ridiculous. But then again, you're most likely looking at custom pricing as not a lot of store tie #16 or #14. There are few fly tiers who will probably bulk pricing for you fro $1.75 / fly. there are a few freelance tiers out there that might do it. good luck.

#15 wantbrowns

wantbrowns

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 12:30 AM

Thx for the input, everyone.

Let me precede the following by saying that I am anything but a great or knowledgeable fly fisher, am getting back into it after a 20+ year hiatus, and have no desire to tie my own flies and pls excuse me if the following sounds really ignorant, but $4 for a CUSTOM MADE WB of a size that ISN'T available in other stores doesn't sound steep to me IF Chris is a good tyer and quality materials are used, ESPECIALLY given the fact that the store's overhead has to be taken into account and that Chris quoted me that per fly price WITHOUT knowing how many I wanted (for ex, he could have been assuming I wanted just one in each of size 16, 14, and 12).

Will prob buy 10 WBs; if it saves me time & hassle and if Chris is as good as ppl here say, 40 is fine with me - esp if they catch me fish lol

Thx again

#16 Will

Will

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 08:29 AM

Maybe a bit late to this thread - but maybe for a WB that small you could try out prince nymphs/psycho princes/etc instead? Or a hare's ear with some different dubbing colours? I'm assuming with a size 16 WB you're intending to dead drift it to represent a generic nymph, so maybe a standard nymph pattern in the specific colour you want would be another option.

#17 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:38 AM

this is an interesting request.. i'm going to tie up a couple of size 16s just to see how much of a pain in the ass they are to tie at that size lol. 

wantbrowns, where are you located? If the ties i attempt aren't bad you're more than happy to take 'em - depending where you're hailing from anyway. 

#18 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:45 AM

Like I said, It would sound ridiculous to pay $4 for WBs. But in hindsight, the demand for #16 #14 WB is Nil (there are better & easier & cheaper to tie flies). But as a customer, everybody has their choice of what to use. So If you want #16 WB...you gots to pay the price to have 'em. One more option for you is tyler tbarsflies. Don't know his pricing WB but the rest of the flies he ties are pretty good. I don't tie tube flies so i get them from him.

#19 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 09:50 AM

this is an interesting request.. i'm going to tie up a couple of size 16s just to see how much of a pain in the ass they are to tie at that size lol. 

wantbrowns, where are you located? If the ties i attempt aren't bad you're more than happy to take 'em - depending where you're hailing from anyway. 

Go for it, the smallest WB I have tied #12 and I think there's a few good reasons why there's a demand for #8 #10 #12.

#20 Shawarma

Shawarma

Perch

• Active Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:17 AM

Same here Dilli. Smallest is size 12 for me too.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fly fishing, wooly, bugger