Photo

where to buy smaller wooly buggers in Toronto?

fly fishing wooly bugger

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 01:24 PM

Thx for the input, everyone.

Let me precede the following by saying that I am anything but a great or knowledgeable fly fisher, am getting back into it after a 20+ year hiatus, and have no desire to tie my own flies and pls excuse me if the following sounds really ignorant, but $4 for a CUSTOM MADE WB of a size that ISN'T available in other stores doesn't sound steep to me IF Chris is a good tyer and quality materials are used, ESPECIALLY given the fact that the store's overhead has to be taken into account and that Chris quoted me that per fly price WITHOUT knowing how many I wanted (for ex, he could have been assuming I wanted just one in each of size 16, 14, and 12).

Will prob buy 10 WBs; if it saves me time & hassle and if Chris is as good as ppl here say, 40 is fine with me - esp if they catch me fish lol

Thx again

This is Chris' business, hes a young guy, think maybe 20, but ties some very nice flies.  http://yetifish.com/

#22 wantbrowns

wantbrowns

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 02:50 PM

Once again, thx to everyone for kindly taking the time to contribute. Special thx to Shwarma (did I spell that right?) for ur kind offer (btw, I live close to 401 & 400/Black Creek Drive)

Perhaps some more background ... when I fly fished years ago, it was in streams and small rivers and I pretty much just floated dries (if lucky to be there when there was a hatch on), nymphs (mostly "high sticked" - if that is the correct term - without using an indicator, unless you count a dry dropper [term?]), tossed emergers, and drifted and stripped streamers. Went with an experienced older guy who taught me casting, etc and give me a bunch of flies, but left it up to me to decide which setup and fly to use.

Now that I've gotten back into it, starting off at a dinky conservation area (with stocked bows mostly in the 11-16" range) largely to relearn how to cast (which hasn't been easy as I now have to deal with wrist-thumb and casting shoulder tendonitis and as I have to cast much further here than I was used to in streams) before hitting some streams.

Never fly fished stillwater, so naturally asked the more successful fly fishers about their setups and what they used. While I've seen a couple guys having great days with nymphs and indicators, the most consistantly successful ones have been stripping wooly buggers, which were the aforementioned unusually small sizes.

Although contributors here obviously know much more about the appropriate price as to the WBs I am seeking, being a spinning rod & lures guy, $4 per WB sounds like a good deal to me (since they are being custom made rather than picked off a shelf, even tho I assume that they obviously won't be usable remotely as long as, say, a $4 Mepps spinner).

Cheers and happy fishing

#23 fisherman2280

fisherman2280

Sunfish

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 04:32 PM

http://www.alflahertys.com/ 

#24 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 04:34 PM

Haha, now I know who this is.

wantpike :)

#25 wantbrowns

wantbrowns

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:26 PM

Hey, PK.
More like "gotpike" lol. Bloody things were my bane all winter :(

#26 wantbrowns

wantbrowns

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:30 AM

Update

Tks to everyone who contributed to this thread.
Had Chris at Drift Outfitters tie me some size 14 and 16 WBs.
Unfortunately, the pond that I wanted them for has been plagued with thick clouds of algae, so they - or any other type of fly - have been ineffective.

Will hopefully put them to good use on the Credit River and its tribs. Tks again

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fly fishing, wooly, bugger