• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 arunanlogen

arunanlogen

Earthworm

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 12:38 AM

After hearing great things about lake eugina, i went there saturday morning, got a boat and spent the day out there,

Caught 1 5 inch perch. that was it. CAUGHT NOTHING... is it just me or what.. 

I asked about 20 people who were also fishing who all said they caught nothing either...

#2 Joel52

Joel52

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:00 AM

Eugina is not an easy lake to fish on the weekends. Lots of boat traffic!! We fished that lake quite a bit one summer when we owned a boat, and I know a few good spots where we did have good success, but you need to be resilient to the boat and jet ski traffic. Just let them zip by...it did get annoying after a while. It seemed when we tried quiet spots to fish we didn't catch anything. Go figger.

#3 getin

getin

Perch

• Active Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:58 PM

After hearing great things about lake eugina, i went there saturday morning, got a boat and spent the day out there,

Caught 1 5 inch perch. that was it. CAUGHT NOTHING... is it just me or what.. 

I asked about 20 people who were also fishing who all said they caught nothing either...

It could be the lake, or just the weather. We fished BOQ on Saturday and it was the slowest day it could be. We blamed the cold snap and wind, not the fishery

#4 rhymobot

rhymobot

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:57 AM

as i learn through the years, i realize all kinds of variables play a part in success and failure. i find windy days with some chop negatively affect the behaviour of fish. i have to stick to the side of the lake closest to where the wind is coming from because the trees block it out and water much calmer and that's where i find the fish. get practically zero action when i'm in the middle of the lake right in that chop.

early morn and in the evening of course are the best times. that afternoon sun beating down makes them sluggish usually when i'm fishing 6 to 10 FOW. i have to go find them in the lily pads but only if they are the big healthy green ones i find. and overcast/drizzle but warm and calm has produced two great days for me the only two times i fished in those conditions.

then there's the depth and structure/cover or lack thereof. i'm used to 6 to 10 feet, clear, small lakes and with weed beds and lily pads. i just tried gibson with my gf in muskoka in the afternoon sun and it was not a good day. 20 feet deep and no weed beds in the area we fished. no action except we did lost a 4 pounder right at the net and that was it. landing that would have made our day but it wasn't meant to be.

i would love to try eugenia myself but kinda far and as you guys mentioned, can be real tough to fish and it's not my type of lake. would try if i'm ever in the area.

also, if someone says great things about a place, you will pretty much have the opposite when you actually go try. it's a universal law. been in that situation dozens of times. but, i bet the next time you go back, you'll find the fish without that hype and expectation. it's just the way the world works.

#5 Joel52

Joel52

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 09:10 AM

Here's what I've learned over the years that I've fished:

First off, there's an old rhyme that goes like this.

Wind from the east, fish bite the least;
Wind from the west, the fish bite the best;
Wind from the north, few sailors set forth;
Wind from the south blows bait in their mouth.

Wind direction doesn't always predict fishing success, however fronts and weather systems associated with it are usually consistent with conditions that people have noticed catching fish vs. not catching fish. That said, I think the barometer is an important indicator. I was once told by someone who knew more about these things than me to get a goldfish and observe it. If it's active, go fishing. If it's sulking on the bottom, go golfing.

As for chop on the water, I think in a lot of cases it helps for certain species like walleye. If my feet are getting wet at the back of the boat, I'm most of the time catching fish.

The windy side of the lake is a better place to fish - or at least from my own experience. Wind and waves tend to stir up the bottom and food, and this brings out the bigger fish to feed. I remember once fishing in about three feet of very choppy water on a clear sunny afternoon and we had so many double headers it was nuts - three pounders and up. The smallies were feeding voraciously on these little worms being stirred up fro the bottom. We have other similar experiences. Fish are basically lazy creatures. They usually don't spend more energy on food than what they get from it. If it zips by in front of their nose, that sometimes works.

So much more to say on this....hahahaha