• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Brown_recluse

Brown_recluse

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 09:10 AM

Hey, Caught a whackload of these on the fly yesterday on a west trib. Literally every cast, it was crazy. I'm terrible at ID'ing juvenile fish, can someone identify these?

Attached Images

• IMG_20160703_173419.jpg
  • IMG_20160703_174023.jpg
  • IMG_20160703_174140.jpg

#2 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 10:09 AM

Chubz?

#3 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 12:25 PM

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for one day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a lifetime."

Base on that wisdom...

You can refer to the link below to learn to ID this fish. Scroll to the bottom of the page where I've included pictures AND description to important features to help you ID these fish properly.

http://www.ontariofi...ead-chub/page-2

I know what it is...but if I simply tell you, you don't learn proper ID technique. Recognizing that you're terrible at ID should give you the impetus to improve your skills :) ...or is that just an excuse to have others do the work for you? :P

"Give a man an ID and you satisfy his curiosity for one day; teach a man to ID and you feed his curiosity for a lifetime."

#4 Brown_recluse

Brown_recluse

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:38 PM

Thanks Muskie, 

I didn't think it was something I've got before and I prefer resources - this one is very thorough too! Appreciate the help.

B/R

#5 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 03:36 PM

If you want a good resource for the future, download this publication from the DFO. It is called "The Baitfish Primer".

http://www.dfo-mpo.g...rary/349568.pdf

#6 Fishing Urban Ontario

Fishing Urban Ontario

Sunfish

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 05:56 PM

No those are way too fat for chubs. Hey could u dm me where u caught those. I need to collect catches of fish species for my Youtube Channel.

#7 Alfiegee

Alfiegee

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 09:33 PM

Maybe some of MuskieBaits info should be pinned on this site as it seems there is a lot of curiosity about all these chubs and shiners etc this year. These tools maybe useful to some.

Fishing Urban, shiners are available everywhere. No secret places for them :)

Alfie.

#8 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:03 PM

Thanks Muskie, 

I didn't think it was something I've got before and I prefer resources - this one is very thorough too! Appreciate the help.

B/R

Have you figured it out yet? If you need a confirmation, it's a Striped Shiner. The scaled behind the head is not crowded like you would see in the Common Shiner.

#9 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:09 PM

No those are way too fat for chubs. Hey could u dm me where u caught those. I need to collect catches of fish species for my Youtube Channel.

No need to ask others for location...if you have this.

http://ontariofishes.ca/home.htm

#10 Brown_recluse

Brown_recluse

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:48 AM

Thanks Muskie, 

Yea I figured it out with the resources.  Wish I had them riverside, but I'll have them for next time!!  In fact, I had caught some fish that day that I completely mis-identified and only realized it after reading through the Baitfish Primer.  Also, great pics on your post for reference!  It must have been fun knocking all those fish off the hit list!

I agree with Alfiegee, this information is very useful, and I've seen Muskie has had to post it recently in a similar thread.  Maybe it should be pinned ?

B/R

#11 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:59 AM

Glad to be able to help. The DFO has hardcopy of the Baitfish Primer. Email them to see if they can send you one. You can keep it in the car for quick references in the future.