Salmon run/salmon fishing

• Please log in to reply
256 replies to this topic

#241 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:07 PM

It is called sport fishing.
I don't see the sport in belly surfing a 5lb brown to the pier with 30 lb braid?
My 10 lb test certainly not going to ruin a prop?
I don't fish the pier for staging Chinook either.
I prefer early spring .
Salmon , browns, bows, you just never know. lol

#242 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:12 PM

30lb braid isn't going to belly surf a 5lb brown...not even close if it is a lake run fish. Do trollers out in the lake surf in a 5lb brown with their heavy trolling gear? No.

10lb test caught on the prop and the salmon doing spirals as it tries to escape - it will wrap the line around the prop a few more times - and can do damage, especially if the boat owner is not present and ignorant of the line wrapped around the prop. It only takes a small bit of line to slip under the prop, break the seal, and water seeps in to ruin the lower unit. Outboard motor...not so much. Inboard/outboard or inboard...water seeps in and gets into the transmission unit...that's a very expensive repair. I know...because I almost messed up a friend's boat in Hawaii. Luckily the line didn't break the seal and repair wasn't necessary.

You can still use lighter drag with the 30lb braid. I do it all the time. But if I need to turn the fish way from a boat, I can simply thumb the spool and turn the fish, then resume with the lighter drag once the fish has turned and runs away from the boat.

30lb line does not imply heavy drag all the time...but it's nice you can turn a fish if needed and not having to worry about breaking the fish off.

I had a friend broke off 2 salmon on 15lb braid and 12lb leader earlier in the fall at the mouth...he still owe me two glow spoons.

#243 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:25 PM

Trolling heavy gear?
10 lb test on our riggers also.
That's why down riggers are so great.
Eliminated the need for heavy wire line for getting deep.
We fish out of a 16'Lund.
And respect for fisherman works both ways.
We always check to see if someone is hooked up on pier before entering marina on return.

#244 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:31 PM

When I fish on my friend's boat trolling Lake O, they have 30lb main. They are usually going after Chinook and at times entered into tournaments. Definitely not playing around with 10lb test on the trolling gear.

Unfortunately, although respect is both ways, sometimes $50,000+ cruisers and sail boats are returning to the dock toward dusk when it is difficult for the skipper to see me hooked up. The boat owners would not be happy if a fish runs into their prop...especially, as I said, I am a guest at the dock...which happens to be a very private marina (ie, I can only be invited to the marina by a member of the marina...otherwise, it is gated and off limits).

A bad move on my part not only ruins my chance to ever fish at that marina again...it also ruins the reputation of my friend as a member of the marina and his chance to fish from his "own" marina. Plus I would hate to get an expensive repair bill because "I wish to fish light lines to give me the best fight out of a fish and a fair fighting chance".

You really have to be there to understand the situation...it's not the typical PH or other river mouths where it is mostly public fishing access.

#245 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:38 PM

Doesn't look like heavy line or a lot of line...but it was enough to break a seal (starting at 2:09)

#246 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 09:15 PM

Is anyone getting much action out on the piers lately? This is my first year pier fishing. Moved to the pier because I can't handle the hooligans in the creek anymore. Pulled two beauty chinnys and I've decided that pier fishing is my new go to for the trout and salmon runs. But how long does the action last?

It will start to slow down but some river mouths might still have some staging.  East gets the early run and the west gets them later.  Also maybe size down on your lures, you might be able to catch staging steelhead at this point.

#247 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 09:18 PM

Chucking is a lot of fun.

I horsed one salmon that hit close to shore.  I kept it on the surface while it tried to dive down.  I tight+en the drag too tight that the spoon just popped out of the fishs mouth.  Not doing that again.

#248 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:56 PM

If you want a fight why are you fishing with 30lb line? rookie?

This is Twice now you've made a jab at members and than seem to disappear ?
I can actually see your point.
But will no longer back someone that can't back their own statements.
What is that?

#249 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:54 PM

I horsed one salmon that hit close to shore.  I kept it on the surface while it tried to dive down.  I tight+en the drag too tight that the spoon just popped out of the fishs mouth.  Not doing that again.

I usually tighten like crazy after a minute or so. Get the initial head shakes and mad dash out of the way. Then I tighten it right up to avoid getting spooled. And very gradually reel whenever I can. 

Often on 8lb mono.

#250 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 01:33 PM

I horsed a fish earlier this fall while fishing at the river mouth on a zodiac...but there was no choice. It was either horse the fish and risk pulling out the hook, or have the fish wrap the anchor rope and foul up...in the end, I tried to pull the fish away (with my 30lb braid thank you very much :P) and pulled the hook. It was a no-win situation really...but oh well. Not heartbroken over just one fish that was fairly average.

Sometimes, the hook is just placed in a bony part of the mouth and it doesn't penetrate well, or it is hooked in some easily ripped tissue. Happens to any species in any situation. You win some, you lose some. Still not as bad as Gar fishing LOL.

#251 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2016 - 02:27 PM

ha ha
I would of pulled the anchor up.
But. That's me.

#252 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 03:08 PM

ha ha
I would of pulled the anchor up.
But. That's me.

LOL. Yeah, that's one option. If we weren't in a little 10' zodiac with barely enough room to move about, it was the most obvious. I was in the bow of the boat and my friend was in the back. There was little room to move around as it was. The anchor was clipped to the front towing D-ring at the bow that was under the water line. There wasn't enough room in that little boat for my friend to reach over or climb over me to pull the anchor in time.

It was a fairly calm day...otherwise would not suggest going out on the lake with a 10' zodiac!

#253 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2016 - 03:32 PM

Multitasking Muskie.
Fight fish with right hand.
Pull anchor up with left hand.
Steer boat with left foot.
Easy.
Your getting soft with age.

#254 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 07:48 PM

Multitasking Muskie.
Fight fish with right hand.
Pull anchor up with left hand.
Steer boat with left foot.
Easy.
Your getting soft with age.

LOL. Yeah, you're right.

#255 Trev

Trev

Sunfish

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:06 AM

I'm still casting off the pier and not seeing much at all now. I have seen a few smaller salmon jumping and had a follow from a nice one a few days ago, but that's about it. After the heavy wind there is a lot of weed floating and makes casting a pain. I have seen dead salmon washing in from the main lake, too. What a screwy season it's been. Still casting though, until all the salmon snaggers are gone, then may go upriver a bit for browns and rainbow.

#256 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 09:55 AM

The snaggers never go away, you do get a lot of them though on nice sunny warm days.

#257 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2016 - 01:52 PM

The snaggers never go away, you do get a lot of them though on nice sunny warm days.

Ha ha
Yup