• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 10:44 PM

I do agree it's ridiculous the pricing but you gotta pay to play. A new pair of good work boots for me is over 200 now

#22 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:07 PM

The quality is there. Theyve built up their name and can raise prices, if people stop buying the price goes down.

#23 SynX

SynX

Sunfish

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 11:45 PM

Oh I don't doubt the quality is there and am a firm believer in buying quality stuff that will last. I'm just curious what the features are or whatever that makes it that much more expensive than like other top brands? Is it the material? Durability? Or added features? I'm not criticizing, just trying to understand the differences at it seems there are a plethora of options for waders and it's quite overwhelming for somebody just starting out

#24 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:18 AM

Oh I don't doubt the quality is there and am a firm believer in buying quality stuff that will last. I'm just curious what the features are or whatever that makes it that much more expensive than like other top brands? Is it the material? Durability? Or added features? I'm not criticizing, just trying to understand the differences at it seems there are a plethora of options for waders and it's quite overwhelming for somebody just starting out

Honestly, I would say it's a personal choice but at the same time, there are a few who call it upgrade to the next level. Durability? They all break. It's not even how and who is using what. There are tons of elements that can cause something made to last break on the first use. Some are simply able to afford the finer things, some make do of what they have.  as long as you can be in the water even in the harshest winter...that's all that matters.

#25 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:51 AM

Simms is the only wader maker licensed to use gore tex fabric. The others use proprietary breatheable fabrics

#26 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:29 AM

I spent a few hundred dollars using a different selection of Canadian Tire (one piece) waders and they were always uncomfortable and leaking in one part or another. I hear they are much better as of recently but I decided to invest in Simms.

I shopped around for some time before investing my money into a pair of G4s and they have done so much for me. I am 6'7 so sizing is a bit of a problem for me, ironically enough, the G4's do have "Tall sizes" available but I did not need to use it. Simms uses Goretex throughout their entire wader and they have a reinforced goretex (on the lower part - seen as the darker grey) which is more durable when bushwhacking and treading in unknown territories (sometimes you poke yourself with sticks and logs while walking in dirty water).

I am now on my third season with them and they have a small leak around the boot which I will need to send to Simms to get repaired, but that will be after the Salmon season. I have never been uncomfortable from temperature - cold or hot in my waders, or even the shoulder straps. If I had a choice I would buy Simms again, my other buddies have outlived their Frogg Toggs and Redington in less time than I have had my Simms for, and they fish less than I do! 

Sail does have a sale coming up starting Wednesday (15% off all fishing) I picked up my Simms Boa Wading Boots for $169 (clearance) last year. No laces makes life so much easier. (sometimes your laces come undo in the water or your wading sock will adjust and you need to re tighten/loosen your boots)

Justified enough?

#27 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:38 AM

All waders will eventually fall apart - death, taxes and leaky waders are lifes only guarantees. Ive heard the least amount of complaints for SIMMS and over the years heard how they last the longest. Ive got a pair that Ive put serious mileage on over the span of 6 years and they blew open last year which I patched up ( entry level waders with no life time protection ). I may be biased but I believe in the product

#28 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:44 AM

I had Bare waders and Streamside they did not last me 2 seasons. Got Simms for 5th year now and still running strong. Yes they are expensive but if you look at the long run it is actually cheaper. Got Streamside first outing both legs got soaked. Got them replaced by warranty second outing leak on one leg again. Got warranty replacement sold them on Kijiji . Bare started leaking right after year when warranty expires. So yes maybe is my ego nothing but Simms for me.

I will rather have $1000.00 waders than $1000.00 rod or reel.

#29 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:54 AM

I will say this, the top end gear from simms are NOT made for the average fisherman, they are made with fishing guides in mind, guys who spend everyday on the river.  Thats what the G stands for in the name, Guide Series

#30 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:56 AM

I had Bare waders and Streamside they did not last me 2 seasons. Got Simms for 5th year now and still running strong. Yes they are expensive but if you look at the long run it is actually cheaper. Got Streamside first outing both legs got soaked. Got them replaced by warranty second outing leak on one leg again. Got warranty replacement sold them on Kijiji . Bare started leaking right after year when warranty expires. So yes maybe is my ego nothing but Simms for me.

see, both of my bosses have bare waders, going on their 4th season.

#31 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:12 AM

Care and maintenance huge also.
Leave your waders balled up in the trunk of your car between outings .
You going to have issues. lol

#32 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:25 AM

I was taught to put on stockfoot waders putting on the neoprene footing first without pulling the whole waders. Once your feet are in, then pull the waders up.

#33 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:57 AM

see, both of my bosses have bare waders, going on their 4th season.

I heard good things about them. but this is just my experience. 

#34 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:46 AM

Well if your on a budget, I'm sure a pair of swimming trunks and some sandals will outlast your waders  :D

#35 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:52 AM

I fished in a pair of old Remington's waders that was bought on eBay when eBay was still the place for deals. Got it for $25 shipped to my door. That was in my 2nd year undergrad which would be a little over 14 years now. Just last year, the neoprene finally got old enough and a crack developed at the crotch. Repaired it with a patch and some Aquaseal but another crack developed just beyond the adhesive area. I probably fished 30 days a year in it...mostly salmon/steelhead and small stream fly fishing, but have also taken it to BC and Montauk.

I bought a newer pair of Hodgeman's, off eBay again when it was starting not to be the place for deals, so probably 10 years ago. Got it for $35 shipped to my door. I barely use it and keep it dry and stored in its original bag most of the time. But a couple of years ago, there was a leak around the ankle that I just can't seem to find the source of the leak. I sealed the entire seam with Aquaseal and it still leaks...yet there is no pinhole in any of the neoprene, or showed no bubbling in the tub, or no bubbling with soapy water. I'm kinda giving up on it and wearing the old Remington's for now. Just have to remember not to wade up to my crotch in it or it'll look like I pissed myself :mrgreen:

All waders have gone up in price though. A decent pair of neoprene is now around $120-150 range for stocking foot. But the gouging with Simms is ridiculous.

#36 Will

Will

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:36 PM

I don't know why waders have gone up in price so much, but I got these cheapies in 2014 for $45 USD, and now they're $90 USD:

https://www.amazon.c...00CCA6YJM?psc=1

Double the price in 2 years seems really strange to me. 

#37 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:55 PM

I don't know why waders have gone up in price so much, but I got these cheapies in 2014 for $45 USD, and now they're $90 USD:
https://www.amazon.c...00CCA6YJM?psc=1

Double the price in 2 years seems really strange to me.

Sounds like my Hydro bill. WTF.

#38 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 01:13 PM

Sounds like my Hydro bill. WTF.

thanks for reminding. now i will have nightmares....

tumblr_inline_nnfjvfYl6i1rtwj6r_500.gif

#39 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2016 - 01:19 PM

ha
Sorry.
Sticker shock.
I'll be wading in jeans this winter.

#40 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 01:34 PM

I went 4.5 years on my bare adams, blew em up last fall. On a pair of redington sonic dry flies now and loving them...

I had one of the horror stories you sometimes hear with simms and refuse to go back to their waders.. Ive got no problem wearing the jackets though, they seem to hold up well.