• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 14ftinner

14ftinner

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:29 AM

So im having a heck of a time finding the fish. Last two weekends im lucky to leave the lake with 1-2 fish making it in the boat. Spring time was a mean trick that taught me catching fish is easy haha.

My tactics so far are top water lures in the morning and late evening. During the day i use spinners, spin baits and swim jigs.

I troll the shore lines and cast right into the shallows and retrieve back to the boat, I never go deeper than 5 feet of water. The reason for this is, i cant see structure or cover if i go deep so where do i cast? I love drop shotting but never know where to cast!!! Should i just try casts at 20 feet? 10 feet?

I have a tackle box of rubbers and lures and dont know where to cast them!!! anyone have any tips?! (p.s i live in southern Ontario)

#2 Fishing Urban Ontario

Fishing Urban Ontario

Sunfish

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 04:58 PM

I am not one for boats but let me put it this way . . . they will never travel too far away from food so if i were u i would fish the deepest spots know to have the local forage in that area. I hope that helps. But yes you should go deeper especially in this summer heat.

#3 N8orDie

N8orDie

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 09:56 AM

Find the weed beds or structure you mentioned above and then back the boat up until the weeds get sparse or suddenly disappear or you can't see the rocks anymore. Try those edges or transition points. Also, look for rocky points that stick out from shore or at the mouths of shallow bays and and assume they continue underwater even if you can't see them. If you're fishing structure that is kind of all the same, like a rocky shore or a weed bed, look for something different, like an extra big rock or pocket or cut in the weeds. Once you find fish, remember what you did and keep doing the same thing in the same types of areas. Also look for gulls sitting on the water as they are usually after the same baitfish as the bass are. In the summer when the water is warm the bass need to eat so they will be where the bait is.

#4 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 10:40 AM

Weed beds and water lilies. specially when the sun is right on top. Dusk or dawn they can be anywhere.

#5 ChromeAddict

ChromeAddict

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 12:22 PM

As others have said, work the lilypads and weedlines. Don't forget about fallen trees either, they can hold some larger fish.

#6 14ftinner

14ftinner

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2016 - 04:16 PM

Find the weed beds or structure you mentioned above and then back the boat up until the weeds get sparse or suddenly disappear or you can't see the rocks anymore. Try those edges or transition points. Also, look for rocky points that stick out from shore or at the mouths of shallow bays and and assume they continue underwater even if you can't see them. If you're fishing structure that is kind of all the same, like a rocky shore or a weed bed, look for something different, like an extra big rock or pocket or cut in the weeds. Once you find fish, remember what you did and keep doing the same thing in the same types of areas. Also look for gulls sitting on the water as they are usually after the same baitfish as the bass are. In the summer when the water is warm the bass need to eat so they will be where the bait is.

Thanks guys, some good tips. I really like the one with the seagulls. I struggle with my local lakes finding those key spots. If anyone knows Guelph lake... Its a man made lake so the slopes are gradual without drop offs. I just fished there today and left super disappointed. I found lots of baitballs on the fish finder and only a million carp.... but still could not hook up into bass.
I think I could benefit from some topographic maps, or a similar feature on a good fish finder

#7 OrilliaFishing

OrilliaFishing

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 06:46 PM

N8 had the best post. Personally I like to junk fish a lake I'm not familiar with. I setup in about 10-15ft of water and cast a bit into shore but more parallel if that makes sense...  and work my way down the bank. I watch my electronics for things of interest and weeds and I'll throw a finesse bait up into areas I can see. Sometimes I'll run down a bank twice with two different baits just to make sure I'm not missing something. I'm pretty novice myself but this has always done well for me in the past.

#8 Legend Boats

Legend Boats

Sunfish

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:12 PM

Summer time bass fishing can be very frustrating when locating fish. Catching summer time bass will always give you a tale tail sign and clues on where to start. If your covering water on a weed bed. Take note where you are catching fish. Sometimes you need to switch the presentation up and go where the fish live. This could mean dunking holes of grass with a jig or tossing a creature bait in deeper weed edges and grass flats. The main key to summer time fishing is be in the weeds. A healthy weed bed will consist of bait fish, clear water and healthy weeds. Rigging weedless baits and keeping the grass off your baits will be key to catching more fish. 

Hope this helps 

Cheers Henry