Photo

Bass follows lure to the boat, doesn't bite.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 corsara

corsara

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 August 2016 - 09:45 PM

This happened on a few occasions today.  I'm out in my canoe, throwing lipless crank, as I reel it in, on a few occasions pretty big bass following the lure very closely all the way to the boat.  Clearly there's interest, but how to provoke it to go for it?  I tried pausing, etc.  Needless to say, a very unproductive day---caught a small bass that I let go, and that was it.  Just trying to understand what's going on, what do you do when bass just won't bite, but you know it's there?

#2 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 12:11 AM

Downsize the presentation, slow it down, speed it up - perhaps another lure all together.  Perhaps theres a special trick for bass?

#3 alwayscatching

alwayscatching

Smallmouth Bass

• Moderators
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:48 AM

Just as Trout stated, try a different speed. YoYo the bait. Changing the size/color. Oh and Trout....There is definitely tricks for bass!

#4 rhymobot

rhymobot

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:36 AM

Yup. Changing the lure over and over again is annoying but I have been in a situation where I was throwing soft plastics at this largie in one foot of water and each time he kept looking at it for a while and then turning away.

I tried probably 4 different coloured senkos, a lizard, a craw and then finally when I threw a fat green tube, he looked at it for a second and then smashed it.

#5 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:58 AM

you should have another rod ready and throw in a wacky senko a.k.a. bass candy....I was out at Peterborough last weekend and have casted my entire tackle....spinners, jointed plugs, crankbaits, big Os....take note this is sight fishing too. I can see them swimming around and have varied my retrieve speeds......nothing. went back to my car, I was ready to pack up, but grabbed a pack of senkos, first cast was a decent smallie, and it was like a pinata after that....just get hit after hit....bass after bass...I don't use a lot of senkos as I usually fish for muskie in PB.

#6 GuitarBuildingAngler

GuitarBuildingAngler

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:57 AM

you should have another rod ready and throw in a wacky senko a.k.a. bass candy....I was out at Peterborough last weekend and have casted my entire tackle....spinners, jointed plugs, crankbaits, big Os....take note this is sight fishing too. I can see them swimming around and have varied my retrieve speeds......nothing. went back to my car, I was ready to pack up, but grabbed a pack of senkos, first cast was a decent smallie, and it was like a pinata after that....just get hit after hit....bass after bass...I don't use a lot of senkos as I usually fish for muskie in PB.

Not meaning to thread hi-jack but let me know the next time you are in PTBO DILLIGAF. We should get together to fish!

#7 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 01:26 PM

Follow up lure is what you need.  I have a extra rod rigged with a senko when I see bass follows or I have missed hits.

#8 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 01:37 PM

Sometimes it can be a preference in colour or action! Personally I have most of my luck throwing a Size 3 Mepps (Brown in colour). Throwing it over some shallow structure or weeds always get a nice heavy hit! If the surface is calm, I suggest trying a surface lure such as a popper. When using these I usually cast it out, count to 10 and pop 3-5 times (jerk the rod in fast/gentle a downward motion) so the lure makes a "bubble like" surface motion. This should move the lure only 3-5 ft at a time, count to a random number between 3-10 (depending on if you see any fish stalking your bait) and repeat! Youll be surprised how big of a splash some of these things make! Even 2 feet away from the boat sometimes!

#9 fisherman2280

fisherman2280

Sunfish

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:24 PM

Top water I find best to move it faster, don't give them time to scope out the bait just get that instinct to kick in.

Poppers all time of day all weather conditions and they work amazing for me.

Tip: hold the rod tip up and real in slack line before popping it.

#10 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 04:44 PM

Guess it depends on the water body, I find I get some hits before my first pop by just letting it sit in the water for a few seconds. (Note that I am just counting, not using seconds)

#11 corsara

corsara

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:09 PM

Thanks for the tips!  I can't wait to go again!  To be honest, I've caught most of my bass on texas rigged senko, weightless, in really shallow areas (2-3 ft).  This bass following the lure happened in a deeper area (6-7 ft), and for some reason I never thought of using the senkos (duh!!).  I'll try a wacky senko next time I'm out, or at the very least---will have a second rod ready with the senko, but I'll use the crank bait to bring the bass closer.  Hope it happens the same way!

As for poppers---never had any luck, even in places that I know there is bass, it's shallow, there's vegetation showing up from the bottom...I've tried poppers, frogs, what not, never got a hit.  Mind you---I've been fishing since recently, so that may be the reason too...but my confidence level with top water is very low.. 

#12 OrilliaFishing

OrilliaFishing

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 06:40 PM

People have pretty much covered it but here's what's worked for me in the past

• Throw a Senko at the last spot you saw him
  • Throw the bait back out in the same spot you last cast and BURN that thing back to the boat
  • switch up to a bait that's like the one you had but more erratic (crankbait, swap out with a jerkbait)

Hope that helps as much as the others' have. Those worked for me, hope they work for you too!

#13 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:27 AM

Follow up lure is what you need.  I have a extra rod rigged with a senko when I see bass follows or I have missed hits.

my style of fishing.

#14 Legend Boats

Legend Boats

Sunfish

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:13 PM

Sometimes when you have a follow a quick rod setup with a senko will usually do the trick if you toss it about 2-3ft in front of the follow. If you keep getting follows with one bait, try to get a reaction bite to fire up the school. This usually comes in the form of a Spinner bait or a Jerk bait. Be erratic with the bait and cause a ruckus. You might find it will pay off in the long run. Again with your lipless you can also vary the retrieve to provoke a bite. 

Hope this helps.

Cheers Henry