• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Timothy Lieuw

Timothy Lieuw

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 06:54 PM

Hey guys, I am brand new to the forum so bear with me on this.

I am looking at going salmon fishing this year with my brother and a friend and want to know what gear we should be looking at. Last year when we tried we basically grabbed a couple bass rods out of the boat and walked to the nearest river with anglers in it and started floating roe. I quickly learned that my 6'8 drop shot rod wasn't going to cut it as i watched all the line on my stradic fj 1000 get pulled off(I was a bit ambitious with that rig).

Any recommendations would be great, if there is another thread already on this toss a link to it that would be much appreciated.

#2 Paul1913

Paul1913

Perch

• Active Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 07:47 PM

Hey TIm,

Welcome to the forum.

It depends what you plan to do. Fly fishing is an option but a totally different beast.

Float and centre pin is the way to go.

Rod wise I'd say between 9'6 - 12ft.

Budget is a big thing on which outfit and type you get. Some centre pin reels can go up to 500$ and more.

A rod can run you 100-150$ on the lower end and also skyrocket..

As for line .. I think 10-15lb for a main line is a good start then a 6-8lb floruo carbon leader depending on situation. Floats well depends on the water could be as small as 4gr up to 15gr.

#3 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:01 PM

you don't need to spend the money on a centre pin reel right off the bat, put it towards a good rod, a spinning reel will do just as well, especially if you have one laying around the house. would go for a 10ft float rod. and if you don't want to break the bank, but want good bang for the buck, go for streamside.

#4 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:01 PM

Get a heavy 9 foot rod, 30lb braid and some big trebles and your set

#5 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:06 PM

You need to up your reel as well, 2500, 3000, or even 4000 fj.

#6 bharkasaig

bharkasaig

Sunfish

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:38 PM

Anyone tried this and 'accidentally' hooked others with a similar setup?

Toss to the far bank, tighten up the line a bit, then SET!!! I imagine with braid you could drag a few into the water...

#7 grayer

grayer

Sunfish

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:49 PM

hahahahahahahaahah

#8 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 10:42 PM

Anyone tried this and 'accidentally' hooked others with a similar setup?

Toss to the far bank, tighten up the line a bit, then SET!!! I imagine with braid you could drag a few into the water...

You have to go barbless because they are catch&release only

#9 Timothy Lieuw

Timothy Lieuw

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 11:47 PM

I have a couple 3000fjs and fks that i could probably re purpose, most of them are spooled up with 10 or 15 lb main line with a 8-10lb leader. As for a rod i am actually able to get my hands on a  Rapala R-Type RT45FD13ML3 at a faily good deal

So recap

3000~ size reels

long freaking rods

relatively light line. 

4-15gr floats

What size hooks?

#10 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 12:36 AM

I have a couple 3000fjs and fks that i could probably re purpose, most of them are spooled up with 10 or 15 lb main line with a 8-10lb leader. As for a rod i am actually able to get my hands on a  Rapala R-Type RT45FD13ML3 at a fairly good deal. 

So recap

3000~ size reels

long freaking rods

relatively light line. 

4-15gr floats

What size hooks?

for salmon i would go anywhere from 6lb to 10lb leaders.

for hooks, this is where bass guys go wtf cause its its not a 1/0 size.  size 6 -10 should be fine, depends whether you'r tossing skein chunks, roe bags, or worms. and if you decide you'd like to go trout, hooks 8-14 are the norm.

#11 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 05:06 PM

When I started I just bought a $100 Shimano Convergence paired it with a reel that would hold 200yards of 10lbs mono I had. Bought some floats and went to it. Don't have to spend a lot to start but if you get addicted like me it gets costly.

#12 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 06:34 PM

When I started I just bought a $100 Shimano Convergence paired it with a reel that would hold 200yards of 10lbs mono I had. Bought some floats and went to it. Don't have to spend a lot to start but if you get addicted like me it gets costly.

don't  know anyone that didn't start that way.

#13 Timothy Lieuw

Timothy Lieuw

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:52 AM

Alright so I went and grabbed that rapala rod i mentioned and holy cow it's long! As a bass guy a 13 foot rod is odd to look at, thank god it breaks down into 4 pieces. I also took it upon myself to liberate one of my 3000fjs for this. It's spooled it up with some 10lb braid and put a healthy length of 8lb flouro leader. wish me luck guys. 

Thanks

Tim

#14 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:00 AM

don't  know anyone that didn't start that way.

Still using the same 12'6" Convergence from 15 years ago...and still catching fish. Don't see a need to "upgrade" to anything else when it is catching me just as many fish as those "ego" rods. When the inevitable day comes and something breaks on that rod, I would probably replace it with another Convergence because it just feels right to me.

Tried the centerpin...went back to spinning. Again, it just felt right to me while the centerpin felt "all sorts of wrong".

#15 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:03 AM

Convergence Rods are $69 or less at Sail right now  :cool:

#16 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:10 AM

I like my convergance and my one son uses it now and yes it still catches fish. It however does not feel as good in my hand as the IM8 especially when fishing all day long. It's not an ego thing, too much of that going on. If one can afford the best than get it. Does more money equal best? Not always, my setup is by no means ego and it gets the job done. I've thought of getting a more expensive setup but like you I catch fish and can't rationalize spending thousands on a rod and reel. If I had more disposable income..maybe but I'd rather spend it on other things. Now as for a spinning reel to pin, for me CP hands down. Used a spinning reel when I started but it now feels all kind of wrong when drifting...Whatever works

#17 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:31 AM

Convergence is a great rod. That's what i always recommend to someone who wants to get into river fishing. not to costly for a rod. I don't like the "upgrade idea as well". I have a streamside float rod, been using it for 3 years now for steels and brown and on occasional catches salmon. on smaller creeks, I would use the HMX for smaller creeks and the only reason I had an HMX is because of the reel seat and not the rings. otherwise it's streamside all the way. I bought mine 3 years ago for $79 at Al Flaherty's, looking at their website....they don't have the 11'6" float, they only have the tranquility which is a $175.

#18 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:32 AM

I like my convergance and my one son uses it now and yes it still catches fish. It however does not feel as good in my hand as the IM8 especially when fishing all day long. It's not an ego thing, too much of that going on. If one can afford the best than get it. Does more money equal best? Not always, my setup is by no means ego and it gets the job done. I've thought of getting a more expensive setup but like you I catch fish and can't rationalize spending thousands on a rod and reel. If I had more disposable income..maybe but I'd rather spend it on other things. Now as for a spinning reel to pin, for me CP hands down. Used a spinning reel when I started but it now feels all kind of wrong when drifting...Whatever works

Definitely different stroke for different folks. For me, I got very accostomed to the current set up. I see no need to change, especially when there are days I'm outfishing others who are centerpinning. And honestly, there are those days the centerpins outfish me. That's just the way it is. I'm just happy with what I have and gained confidence on.

When I mentioned "ego" rods, I mean those that are exponentially more expensive yet offering little material difference. A lot of times, it is merely gains in esthetics with custom parts and a luxury name brand, or maybe because it is handmade. For me, I don't need any of it. It's always function before fashion. I don't need to "look good doing it". Catching fish makes you look good immediately.

If I have to choose between a $800 rod upgrade vs. a trip to the Peruvian Amazon...well, you know how I've chosen. And here I am still catching fish with a 15 year old Convergence, with all its scratches, slightly bend guides and cracking cork grip (they are all battle scars and memories)...or a $70 1998 Pflueger Trion GX-7 combo with an inch off the tip and repaired, and the Trion reel that is just now getting a slightly jerky drag despite how much I tried to rebuild that reel (which BTW, landed one of the Channel Catfish from Manitoba on 8lb test and 5lb leader and those 14-18 inch walleye). I have a brand new Shimano Clarus at home that is still kept in wraps that will likely be kept in wraps until the Trion rod poops.

#19 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:51 AM

Convergence is a great rod. That's what i always recommend to someone who wants to get into river fishing. not to costly for a rod. I don't like the "upgrade idea as well". I have a streamside float rod, been using it for 3 years now for steels and brown and on occasional catches salmon. on smaller creeks, I would use the HMX for smaller creeks and the only reason I had an HMX is because of the reel seat and not the rings. otherwise it's streamside all the way. I bought mine 3 years ago for $79 at Al Flaherty's, looking at their website....they don't have the 11'6" float, they only have the tranquility which is a $175.

There is a Streamside "Steelheader" rod available for ~ $100 at Fishing world and Gagnons which I used for my first season of Salmon and Steelhead. I have since upgraded to a St Croix but there are no complaints with the rod for the price! It uses slip rings, but a roll of electrical tape will set it in nicely! Definetly worth considering when buying a cheaper/start float rod! (Id personally go for the 2 piece 13' but some people may prefer the 11'6)

#20 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:14 AM

There is a Streamside "Steelheader" rod available for ~ $100 at Fishing world and Gagnons which I used for my first season of Salmon and Steelhead. I have since upgraded to a St Croix but there are no complaints with the rod for the price! It uses slip rings, but a roll of electrical tape will set it in nicely! Definetly worth considering when buying a cheaper/start float rod! (Id personally go for the 2 piece 13' but some people may prefer the 11'6)

I secure my slip rings with zip ties. my trib isn't huge so 10'6" or 11'6" is ideal. I sold my 13' rod 2 years ago since i don't really frequent big waters. plus i'm only 5'7". but mostly i just use a 9'6" fly setup now.