• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:38 AM

I have a couple 3000fjs and fks that i could probably re purpose, most of them are spooled up with 10 or 15 lb main line with a 8-10lb leader. As for a rod i am actually able to get my hands on a  Rapala R-Type RT45FD13ML3 at a faily good deal

So recap

3000~ size reels

long freaking rods

relatively light line. 

4-15gr floats

What size hooks?

That is a great rod for the price!

Looking forward to when you tell us that youre hooked on float fishing and buying a CP.

#22 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:25 PM

MuskyBait, I hear you I'd rather spend money on a winter get away then a big $$$ setup. I've outfished everyone in the pool one day then next can't buy a sniff. The biggest part is what's happening under the water, not above it.

#23 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:37 PM

MuskyBait, I hear you I'd rather spend money on a winter get away then a big $$$ setup. I've outfished everyone in the pool one day then next can't buy a sniff. The biggest part is what's happening under the water, not above it.

as muskybait said, you will look good catching fish no matter what you wear....

#24 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:47 PM

Smoooooth Dill.lol
Muskie always the voice of reason.

#25 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 01:01 PM

Smoooooth Dill.lol
Muskie always the voice of reason.

Saturday was fighting salmon wearing flip flops....other dude fishing on the otherside was wading in jeans. lol.

#26 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 02:38 PM

I think with the warm weather we have currently, I should show up in a speedo and centerpin and see how good I look holding a fish.

#27 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 02:39 PM

At least I know Ill have the pool to myself!

#28 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 03:15 PM

I'm sure you'll rock it well, TTO.

borat.jpg

#29 Timothy Lieuw

Timothy Lieuw

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 03:21 PM

Alrighty well here's an update. 

Fished for 4 ish hours today drifting some roe bags it was a little awkward with the big rod bit i got the hang of it by the first hour. I actually managed to hook 2 fish and oh my i have never heard the drag on my stradic sing so much. Unfortunately i was not quite good enough to get either to the bank due to the hooks i was using actually straightening out(might need to go slightly bigger or stronger). Other then that it was awesome at one point i got really nervous because the rod was bent so far over that i thought for sure it was going to snap but the guys that were around me kept telling me to tighten the drag more and more. Had a blast everyone was so friendly and open to helping although nobody warned me when how deep the holes get as i almost walked into water deeper the my waders.

My big question is what hooks i should be using. The guy i was beside said he would guess my fish was around 28-30 inches and it had no problem bending my hook out. I have been using some size 14 hooks that i found at the crappytire.

Thanks a Bunch i definitely have the bug after feeling the power if these beasts!

Tim

#30 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 03:45 PM

Alrighty well here's an update. 

Fished for 4 ish hours today drifting some roe bags it was a little awkward with the big rod bit i got the hang of it by the first hour. I actually managed to hook 2 fish and oh my i have never heard the drag on my stradic sing so much. Unfortunately i was not quite good enough to get either to the bank due to the hooks i was using actually straightening out(might need to go slightly bigger or stronger). Other then that it was awesome at one point i got really nervous because the rod was bent so far over that i thought for sure it was going to snap but the guys that were around me kept telling me to tighten the drag more and more. Had a blast everyone was so friendly and open to helping although nobody warned me when how deep the holes get as i almost walked into water deeper the my waders.

My big question is what hooks i should be using. The guy i was beside said he would guess my fish was around 28-30 inches and it had no problem bending my hook out. I have been using some size 14 hooks that i found at the crappytire.

Thanks a Bunch i definitely have the bug after feeling the power if these beasts!

Tim

salmon, i'd say #10 #8 raven would do you fine. that's the give away when you're tightening your drag while the fish is still on fighting mode...that makes for bent hooks.

#31 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 04:34 PM

When I was using my spinning reel I did the opposite, I loosened off the drag. What I did with great success was keep drag tight till I had a fish on so I could set the hook then loosen it off almost all the way, just tight enough so I could reel when fish had let off from run. I would use my hand cupped on spool as a drag, same idea as a centerpin. Sounds crazy but it sure worked for my boys and I.

#32 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 05:49 PM

When I was using my spinning reel I did the opposite, I loosened off the drag. What I did with great success was keep drag tight till I had a fish on so I could set the hook then loosen it off almost all the way, just tight enough so I could reel when fish had let off from run. I would use my hand cupped on spool as a drag, same idea as a centerpin. Sounds crazy but it sure worked for my boys and I.

I do something similar but kept the drag fairly loose all the time. I don't find I need to set the hook too hard for salmon or steelhead. If I really want to get the hook in, I just cup the spool after the initial hookset and just give it one more sweep...but always be mindful of the initial run when you cup the spool. Usually the hook finds somewhere to penetrate (unless you hook them in the kype).

During the fight, cupping or palming the spool gives you a little extra control only when you need it. Too much drag and you risk bending out the hook, breaking off your leader, or snapping your rod. When I'm ready to land the fish, I actually back off the drag even more and simply palm the spool for control. But always remember to tighten you drag back to hookset setting...or else you'll definitely miss the hookset on the next hit (or find out what a birdnest looks like on a spinning reel).

#33 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:24 AM

I do something similar but kept the drag fairly loose all the time. I don't find I need to set the hook too hard for salmon or steelhead. If I really want to get the hook in, I just cup the spool after the initial hookset and just give it one more sweep...but always be mindful of the initial run when you cup the spool. Usually the hook finds somewhere to penetrate (unless you hook them in the kype).

During the fight, cupping or palming the spool gives you a little extra control only when you need it. Too much drag and you risk bending out the hook, breaking off your leader, or snapping your rod. When I'm ready to land the fish, I actually back off the drag even more and simply palm the spool for control. But always remember to tighten you drag back to hookset setting...or else you'll definitely miss the hookset on the next hit (or find out what a birdnest looks like on a spinning reel).

Ditto! If you keep your drag looser throughout the fight, it may take a while longer but the fish gets tired and you greatly increase your chances of landing your fish. You should be able to "bank" your fish (Or pull it into shallow enough water that it just lies there) and grab the tail quickly. The long rods greatly help with setting the hooks so palming (outting a finger or hand on your spool) when setting the hook should be the easy part!

I use these and black bird hooks: http://www.fishheads...zes-8-10-12-14/

Using a size between 8 and 12 will work for Salmon and Steelhead. They work well with beads too as they have a wider gap.

#34 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:25 AM

I'm sure you'll rock it well, TTO.

borat.jpg

I dont know if anyone would fish the same river as me if I wore that!

#35 Timothy Lieuw

Timothy Lieuw

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 12:46 AM

Alright i am not quite ready to hit the water with a bathing suit on but i am going to give it one more try tomorrow. Just have to remember to hit it hard and keep the drag not too tight.

#36 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 07:22 AM

Long rods set the rod for you  ;-)

#37 Timothy Lieuw

Timothy Lieuw

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 04:40 PM

Thanks for all the help guys had a great time last weekend. Caught 4 fish and released all of them to fight another day. Definitely hooked for life!

Attached Images

• 20160926_123838000_iOS.png

#38 Ibstacle

Ibstacle

Sunfish

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 02:58 PM

Beginner to salmon fishing?

8'6" - 9'6" medium power, fast action float rod

2500-4000 spinning reel

12-14 pound test monofiliment as a main line