• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 08:47 PM

The good is I managed to get four Chinook to hit my flies, the bad. I lost an Atlantic out of stupidity. After I got the Chinook I posted I noticed my leader was slightly frayed but not too bad, well yeah it was too bad. That Atlantic exploded, must have been six feet in the air after it hit. Had it on for a few minutes then snapped off. Was fun well it lasted. image.jpeg

#2 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:16 PM

That's too bad Big
At least you got some play time out of her.
After every fish .
I run my fingers over the first few feet of line.
Cut off if required.

#3 Paul1913

Paul1913

Perch

• Active Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:40 PM

Same 100 fish group ??

#4 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 09:48 PM

Different creek today. Saw lots but not many staying in pools just running up fast

#5 ChromeAddict

ChromeAddict

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:00 PM

Nice fish. Were you fly fishing or centerpinning? 

#6 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:20 PM

Pinning. Fly fishing will come soon, my two boys fly fish. My older boy uses fly rod 90% of the time. I'm looking forward to it but have to save up for it.

#7 Paul1913

Paul1913

Perch

• Active Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 12:06 AM

I started with the Orvis encounter combo few years back. Was 179 ish at the time Since then it has gone up to 219 or 229.

Rod reel line case everything you need minus the flies. Take a look I got mine at sail, unless you're going all out on it

#8 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:24 AM

Costco also has a kit with flies, reel, rod, line, pliers etc by Reddington that may be worth considering. 

I believe Cabelas and BassPro offer something similar but I dont know the details, only that they are entry level "kits".

#9 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:06 AM

I'm not planning on going all out but thinking of spending $5-$600. Not sure if it's worth it though. Is the middle ground that much better than starter kits? I certainly can't afford the high end stuff! I would keep the pin for winter as the cold seems to wreck havoc on fly gear.

#10 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:19 AM

I think it comes down to how much you use it? I always look for a good Deal, sometimes that means spending a bit more but getting something that will last twice as long! When it comes down to it, and you have the fish of a lifetime on the line, you don't want to be regretting the gear at hand!

#11 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:29 AM

I've always been a proponent of buying the best you can afford, but I'm also of mind that there is a sweet spot. Take centerpining, I love all the high end stuff and when I started I was all Islander, GLomis Kingpin wanting. Plan fact is a couldn't afford it. I "settled with a Raven Matrix fully ported and a Raven IM8, I absolutely love it. I did take reel apart clean grease out of bearings and use a light oil on them and this reel spins for ever. I could be wrong but I can't feel any difference between my reel and other high end reels I have tried creekside. Saying that the reel will likely be replaced someday with a John Milner as I have a serious crush on them. I just don't have the experience to determine where the sweet spot is in fly fishing outfit.

#12 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:52 AM

I'm not planning on going all out but thinking of spending $5-$600. Not sure if it's worth it though. Is the middle ground that much better than starter kits? I certainly can't afford the high end stuff! I would keep the pin for winter as the cold seems to wreck havoc on fly gear.

If you want something good that doesn't put too much dent on the pocket, check out the TFO brand. Redington aren't that expensive as well.

#13 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 11:19 AM

I bought a cheap kit for flyfishing (Came with a lifetime warranty) but I forgot the brand. Got it at Sail for $129 (Clearance)

Used it a few times, hooked a few small bass but not the intended carp I wanted to fly fish for aha.

#14 grayer

grayer

Sunfish

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 01:26 PM

If you want something good that doesn't put too much dent on the pocket, check out the TFO brand. Redington aren't that expensive as well.

I second that, TFO makes great stuff. 

#15 fenwickfisher

fenwickfisher

Sunfish

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:18 PM

Hey big i have a 9ft 8wt barely used with a reddington path reel all you need is fly line i have backing for it i can give ya....great little combo to get into things to see how u like it...pm if interested ill give u a great deal

#16 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:39 AM

PM sent

#17 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 09:32 AM

Indicators are great stuff too if you're just starting. I had a lot of missed hook ups without indicator. I'm slowly getting there.