• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:37 PM

It was pretty cool. Got to the pool son and I had decided on and second drift I see the line going wrong way, out the rod to the test right away with one of my hooklets which I've been told might be a little extreme... Well this fish came up head shaking and boiling the pool, it gave me a good run for my money, went through some stuff that I never thought a fish that size could fit through let alone my line without getting snagged. Any way managed to get it to the bank after that fight only a Chinook can give you, maybe no explosive but the sheer strength is crazy.IMG_9593.JPG

#2 Paul1913

Paul1913

Perch

• Active Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:35 PM

Congrats good size I'm sure it put up a good fight

#3 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:02 PM

Now that's breaking a rod in.

#4 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:14 PM

Chinook might not be explosive but their brute force is fun to fight on fly....big I need to visit your trib. my son is practicing on my pin as well. he's turning 13 and I might not go back to pinning anymore so he's getting it instead of buying one for himself. and i have a 6wt spare fly gear for him if he crosses over...just in time for my 8yr old to start pinning. lol.

#5 Berg

Berg

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:58 PM

That's amazing what did you catch it on?

#6 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:22 PM

Very nice BU.

#7 fenwickfisher

fenwickfisher

Sunfish

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 09:49 PM

Nice man!!!!

#8 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 01:04 AM

nicely down.  its ridiculous just how strong these fish are, really put your gear and patience to the test

#9 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 06:03 AM

This fish fell for an orange and black wholly worm.

#10 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 06:05 AM

Dill, I'm thinking my pin is going to be getting very little use now too. I'll likely continue using it in the winter as I'm told the fly gear doesn't play real well in the cold.

#11 Huronfly

Huronfly

Sunfish

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 06:42 AM

Depends what you consider to be "well". You will never get the same numbers as pinning, but that's not what its all about... it makes every fish that much more special. Congrats.

#12 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 06:56 AM

Nice fish! 

@Huronfly there are days where a Fly fisherman will show up in a pool I am fishing and catch one after another, Even though my buddy and I have been there for a few hours before him without any luck! There are days where fly fishing has its moments!

#13 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 09:23 AM

Dill, I'm thinking my pin is going to be getting very little use now too. I'll likely continue using it in the winter as I'm told the fly gear doesn't play real well in the cold.

That's understandable man. I know when they get that cold sluggish attitude, it's hard to get them to chase flies. But I have caught steels drifting flies on my pin, so it has to work.

#14 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 10:50 AM

I have caught them as well on flies in the winter on the pin I'm just concerned with how the fly gear freezes.

#15 Huronfly

Huronfly

Sunfish

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 04:19 PM

If you are swinging flies, try to avoid shooting line or keep shooting line to a minimum, as soon as your line touches the water it is vulnerable to freezing. Spraying pam on your guides or using ice off paste can help but won't eliminate it. If you're indicator fishing the same goes, just try to minimize stripping, it's a pain in the ass but you will inevitably have to use your fingers to clear the guides once in a while.

That's definitely true talloutdoorsman, I've experienced the same just not very often.