Photo

The future of the ganny may be in question!

Port Hope Ganaraska Ganny

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 10:45 AM

http://www.thepeterb...ng-in-port-hope

Port Hope is trying to enforce a ban on fishing! This news is not new, but the consistent complaints cant be good for our angling future!

What are your thoughts?

#2 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:20 AM

Shutting it down doesn't really solve anything. The crowds  move west to the next river or creek and make a mess of things and it goes on and on. Patrolling and handing out fines and suspensions is a good start. Word of mouth travels fast among poachers.

#3 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:42 AM

Ive seen The MNR Officer once this salmon season, and I have been fishing 3 times a week! I saw Police checking licenses once when I was leaving too!

I don't think that's enough to make a difference - especially not in the 1 year they started taking things more seriously!

In the link posted above, it also mentions signs have been posted in 3 different languages!

#4 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:53 AM

Because you don't see them does not mean they are not there. I agree to much water and land to cover .

#5 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:59 AM

It will be good for Port Hope but not good for neighbouring tribs. It doesn't really stop poachers from poaching. It just stops them from going to the Ganny. I would suggest to hire more Officers and stricter fines. 

People need to get educated. Most people have this notion that as soon as they paid for the license, they have every right to fish how they want it. Those booklets doesn't really help because I've seen people get them at CTire and toss it outside the bin. Applying for a license shouldbn't be as easy as paying at the counter....

#6 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:29 PM

I agree with you Dill! Even hearing some of the stories of people getting fined is ridiculous!

Looking at the Regs for Zone 17, its nice to see theres no extended season for Salmon

#7 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 01:10 PM

Sounds like they want to go from one extreme to another. 5 fish limit to completely shutting it down. Surely, there is some middle ground. How about 1 or 2 fish limit? Single, barbless hooks only?

Total off-limits or the "fly + local guide only" nonsense that they have implemented out east would be a bad move imo. 

#8 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 01:40 PM

I am no expert so don't quote me, and correct me if I am wrong, but I would think they need to change the limit for the entire Region, not just one specific body of water.

Addressing the fish limit wouldn't change the "Cut up fish" found at the banks either.

#9 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:51 PM

If the situation is still that disgraceful.
Cut the head off and close that section.
Simple enough.

#10 Huronfly

Huronfly

Sunfish

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:43 PM

I think it was a long time coming, the river has a reputation as a circus and snagging central. They will probably turn it into a sanctuary for the dumb dumb atlantics.

#11 Paul1913

Paul1913

Perch

• Active Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:04 PM

how about shut it down north of the CN tracks from Sept 1...

#12 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:07 AM

Something does need to be done but closing it down will only cure the problem there. They are not closing down fishing they are closing down poaching!!! What really needs to be done is enforcement of the laws. My girlfriend witnessed and filmed a group of guys who had one snagging, one netting and four running fish to cars. She called ministry and police who do have the abilities in Port Hope to enforce fishery offences. This was right in the middle of the downtown run in full daylight. Her response from Ministry and Police? Someone will be there shortly from Ministry and Police said in five minutes. An hour and a half later, she leaves with no one showing up after watching a steady stream of fish going to vehicles and witnessing numerous police cars drive by thinking every time one was coming to respond. 

It's not right we as tax payers pay to have this fishery even exist, pay for laws to protect the fishery, pay people to enforce these laws with no return on our money. How can they close down something we have a right as tax payers to but they do nothing to enforce and keep poachers away, they are not FISHERMEN!! 

#13 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:17 AM

Shutting it down north of tracks sure would stop a lot but reality is enforcement. No enforcement equals no regulations

#14 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:22 AM

But as someone mentioned before, closing the Ganny will only make them move to another river. That wont "solve" anything, instead just disperse it..

#15 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:28 AM

They're every where now Tall.
They had to close a section of Bronte years ago.
Burning residents picnic tables and such.
And that was the deepest section of Bronte.

#16 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:39 AM

Is that where the bird sanctuary is? Or is there other areas. I live fairly close to Bronte and always wanted to learn the river better.

#17 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:01 AM

The deep section above Hwy 2 up to Optimist park. Believe it was Petro Canada park years ago.Canoe launch site now I believe.

#18 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:28 AM

I stopped going to the Ganny years ago. I usually go there now to have my kids see the initial run by the dam. The last time I was there, a fight almost broke out between 2 parties all for an empty coffee cup. As much as I can recall, the conversation was....

guy threw a coffee cup behind him. He got called out, He then said "relax man, it's just a coffee cup". The other dude was "you can put on your waders, tie your rig, chase salmon but you can't take 20 steps to throw a coffee cup?"

Then the 1st guys friend said "are we going to have a problem here?" then 4 anglers said, yes we are going to have a problem"....I wasn't really involved but I was ready to unfold my lawn chair at that point....

#19 cork

cork

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:56 AM

Like some of you guys are saying, if they shut down the ganny then the poachers and loogans will move to the next river but at that point the ganny will already have set a precedent so when the locals of the next river get sick and tired of the mess caused by these loogans and poachers, that river will get shut down even faster than the ganny...and on and on... They really need to implement some sort of deputy CO situation so that the poachers and loogans are slowly eliminated, they are the problem in our sport fishery and they need to be caught and made an example of by high fines and fishing privileges be removed for ever, after all, if you can't be a good steward of the wonderful things that mother nature has given us then you shouldn't be allowed to play. Also some sort of examination in order to get a fishing license might help. my 2 cents

#20 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 10:05 AM

If it's just a portion of it v.s. the entire river, then I think it makes more sense. Though honestly I've never fished the Ganny so I have no idea about that section.

Dilligaf that actually sounds like a very reasonable argument to me haha. I detest littering, always have, always will! Got out of my car once when I saw a passenger in a car across the street throw a cup out of his window. Man did he bolt out fast and pick it up!