Photo

The future of the ganny may be in question!

Port Hope Ganaraska Ganny

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 10:41 AM

If it's just a portion of it v.s. the entire river, then I think it makes more sense. Though honestly I've never fished the Ganny so I have no idea about that section.

Dilligaf that actually sounds like a very reasonable argument to me haha. I detest littering, always have, always will! Got out of my car once when I saw a passenger in a car across the street throw a cup out of his window. Man did he bolt out fast and pick it up!

lol. totally agreed. I always go home with my back pack full of lure packages, shots & hooks packages. anything that I can fit on my sling pack. and pockets. I also have a grocery plastic bag for bigger garbage. but the problem is, there are garbage bins on tribs but people still kept throwing around the bins when it gets full. no common sense at all.

#22 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:02 AM

No excuse for full garbage bins either.
Why even put them out.
I don't get the have to unpack age on the river also.
I have everything ready to go in my vest before hitting the water.

#23 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:19 AM

@tossing iron,

I am with you on that! I have everything organized and ready to go from the moment I leave my car! I like to carry a few plastic bags in my vest incase I have a coffee cup to discard or what not. If I have to cut my line for any reason, I always tuck it away into my many pockets to discard whenever I get near a garabge.

#24 fishfight

fishfight

Sunfish

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 01:24 PM

CATCH AND RELEASE POLICY WOULD TURN OFF SOME LESS SERIOUS ANGLERS! 

#25 RiverRuns

RiverRuns

Sunfish

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 04:35 PM

I think there are three options:
1) Shut down large sections of the river entirely
2) Make everything catch and release
3) Turn a blind eye and let the s**tshow run its course
I haven't fished the Ganny, but I have witnessed the same shenanigans on the Credit. Yes, there are guys who know what they are doing and are willfully raping the fishery, but many of the things that happen are so incredibly ridiculous (fishing with kiddie poles, spoons drifted under giant red and white bobbers etc.) that I have to believe that these people are simply naïve.
Even if ethical anglers know better - and should maybe feel obligated to intervene and educate - most really don't want to spend their day off arguing with yahoos. They try to find water where no one else fishes, and if that fails, they go home.
Now many avoid the salmon run altogether, which is unfortunate, because the ethical anglers are the ones you need to have on the water.

#26 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 04:52 PM

@RiverRuns, As Dilligaf posted earlier (The confrontation between the guy that was littering) I think its up to the Ethical Fisherman to inform and monitor (almost enforce) those who dont know better! Sometimes simply pointing out things they are doing wrong can make a difference. 

If I see someone genuinely trying I try and offer advice where I can. If i see someone doing illegal actions, I like to confront them. Yelling at the usually causes a scene and draws attention to their wrong doing. And hoping an actual office of authority is around to enforce their wrong doing. - Most people even know what they are doing is illegal... I saw a dad teaching what looked like his 7 year old son to snag...

#27 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 05:06 PM

Education and enforcement.  But yeah, closing it down will only shift the nonsense elsewhere.

#28 T-Ack

T-Ack

Sunfish

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 05:37 PM

I'm not a shore/river fisherman, I don't own a fly rod or centrepin(although I'd love to learn), I'm mainly a bass addict. But I don't get this whole snagging/netting thing and running salmon to the trunk of a car. Are these people eating them or something, I don get it? Sorry for my ignorance but as I menioned I'm unfamiliar with this river stuff. It's sickening to hear that people are a)breaking the rules or b ) that they are so malnourished they have to resort to eating these dying salmon. In addition to illegal fishing practices, it's disheartening to hear about the garbage people leave behind. To those who help clean up, thank you!

#29 GuitarBuildingAngler

GuitarBuildingAngler

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 05:46 PM

1. Simply implement a catch and release ONLY fishery on the tribs in question. That way it is PRETTY obvious when someone is breaking the law when they are caught with fish. 

2. Make aquiring your fishing license involve an actual written test. 

I have talked to a couple MNR employees that have told me it is just not possible to have the CO man power. The amount of CO's per area is sad. Something like 2-4. 

#30 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2016 - 06:47 PM

Simplified Test.
Catch a salmon by the mouth and get your license. ha

#31 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 07:12 PM

heres my thoughts, i spend a ton of time on that river in the spring time, never fished the fall runs, but have heard and seen it. its disgusting. make it so that from the dam to lake is a no kill zone. that means you can't even harvest roe by traditional methods ie stroking the belly. police are there, you spot something, call them, response time is something like 10 minutes. the police have gone out onto the lighthouse rocks to check licenses.

land owners have posted have no begun to post their properties, thanks to irresponsible people. one land owner posted his property because people fishing called the police on their son, who was riding his dirt bike on a fairly obvious trail with bike tracks all through it.

if something is not done now, everyone will lose their fishing privileges there

#32 fenwickfisher

fenwickfisher

Sunfish

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:05 PM

If nobody has ever read the regs for fishing in newfoundland i would suggest looking them up. I know its comparing apples and oranges but it is a world class fishery for a reason. My whole family is from there and i go there quite often to fish with my father. Very interesting regs and very strict as well. You basically get 6 tags for salmon. 2 green tags, 2 blue tags, and 2 red tags. Each river is put into a "class" from 1 to 6 with each class having a different limit based on fish population, angler population, etc.... And only certain tags may be used on certain rivers and have to be fixed through the mouth and gill of any retained fish. Once you have used your 6 tags you are done for the year.

#33 Knuguy

Knuguy

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 10:01 PM

If nobody has ever read the regs for fishing in newfoundland i would suggest looking them up. I know its comparing apples and oranges but it is a world class fishery for a reason. My whole family is from there and i go there quite often to fish with my father. Very interesting regs and very strict as well. You basically get 6 tags for salmon. 2 green tags, 2 blue tags, and 2 red tags. Each river is put into a "class" from 1 to 6 with each class having a different limit based on fish population, angler population, etc.... And only certain tags may be used on certain rivers and have to be fixed through the mouth and gill of any retained fish. Once you have used your 6 tags you are done for the year.

And from my limited experience, anglers have zero tolerance for those who break the law. I saw 1 guy shamed into leaving his spot because, in the view of the seemingly more experienced fishermen, he was likely to snag a salmon the way he was casting across the current. His potential 'snagging tool' was a fly with a barbless hook----not some huge trebles with lead weight.

The kind of crap that we see on Ont rivers would be unthinkable there. 

I was also told that the local salmon mag would refuse to publish a pic of a larger salmon due to be released (because of its size) if its belly was out of the water. 'No braggin' rights for you, buddy'.