Photo

What's your go-to Steelhead leader setup?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 grayer

grayer

Sunfish

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 02:32 PM

Hey guys, 

Been on the fly for about 3 years now but really want to get into the steelhead this season. In the fall season I have only hooked up with Chinook and was lucky enough to get that Atlantic a few weeks back on an egg fly pattern. Im really going to try hard to get into the steel this fall/winter and was just wondering what kind of leader-to-tippet setups you guys are using? In the past I've used the Rio products salmon steelhead tapered leader, but have heard lots about building your own leaders. Im fishing mostly in Lake O tribs. Will be throwing many things such as buggers, egg sucking leeches, egg flies, stoneflies, etc. I have done some asking around and reading various websites and have a general idea of what I will run, but just wanted to get some feedback from you guys! Cheers. 

Grayer 

#2 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 03:11 PM

I dont fly fish (much) so I cant offer much advice, What I can say is that I catch alot of my Steelhead on beads. Pink worms also seem to work well, but I favor my beads and flies. Stone flies (in shades from black to grey to brown) and egg sucking leeches are preferred.

Roe (Brown trout seems to work best) is a common bait as well!

#3 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 03:41 PM

for steel I use 2x leader (10lb). I use fluoro tippet 18 inch. 6lbs. when I'm fly fishing.

for pin, my main line is 14lb clear mono. leader would be 4-6lb fluoro. rio products are good. I have some spools of trout hunter line as gift so that's what i currently use.

#4 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:08 PM

I forgot to mention leaders! I use a blackbird #4.4 or #5.6 depending on water conditions.

#5 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:10 PM

If you're fishing an indicator you can just use level mono and tippet

#6 Huronfly

Huronfly

Sunfish

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:35 PM

When I used to fish indicators I used pretty much any 9' 2X-0X, then 18" tippet to point fly and a dropper 12-18" below that, oh and use tippet rings they will make your leaders last a lifetime. For swinging it is much easier, 3-6' of Maxima on the end of sinktip/polyleader.

#7 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:59 PM

i use 4x 6.8-8.8lb tapered leaders for steelhead scientific anglers regular and fluoro, then i usually have a couple rolls of tippet material on hand to tie in a new tippet 

#8 grayer

grayer

Sunfish

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:05 PM

When I used to fish indicators I used pretty much any 9' 2X-0X, then 18" tippet to point fly and a dropper 12-18" below that, oh and use tippet rings they will make your leaders last a lifetime. For swinging it is much easier, 3-6' of Maxima on the end of sinktip/polyleader.

tippet rings eh? I just found out what these were and I already love them. I hate buying new leaders all the time. I am for sure going to pick some of these up. 

#9 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:44 PM

I run a 3x 9 foot leader with a 2.5mm tippet ring ( greatest things ) also have tried using micro swivels ( also very effective at preventing line twist ) But I use them when I throw out beads on the fly rod. And use 6 lb fluro carbon tippet usually 24 inches. I never use indicators . Sometimes if I want a visual I will Use Umpqua indicator leaders  ( they have a section on the leader that is bright orange )that can be used as a indicator ( visual only ). I don't like strike indicators ( personnel choice )

#10 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 01:39 PM

If i want an indicator, id be float fishing with a centerpin....thats just me....

#11 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:59 PM

I agree Dilli I never use a strike indicator on the fly.

#12 fenwickfisher

fenwickfisher

Sunfish

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:20 PM

Dont really fish much egg patterns or nymphs all that much unless for smaller resident fish... Do u guys just highstick or something...im usually swinging big nasties lol

#13 Bow Man

Bow Man

Smallmouth Bass

• Banned
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 03:33 PM

I do alot of high sticking, also swear by czech nymphing a very effective way to fish.

#14 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 03:56 PM

I high stick most of the time....size of river / creek always a factor how I do.

#15 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 04:57 PM

I'm in the same boat. I'm just learning and I know steelhead will be different than Chinook. Question though. I've yet to use a tapered leader, I don't use an indicator. So far all I've used is 10lb mono leader tipped with 6-8lbs fluro, I just wait for line to twitch, stop or move differently all the while tending my line as per water flow. What advantage is there to a tapered leader?

#16 grayer

grayer

Sunfish

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 07:31 PM

I'm in the same boat. I'm just learning and I know steelhead will be different than Chinook. Question though. I've yet to use a tapered leader, I don't use an indicator. So far all I've used is 10lb mono leader tipped with 6-8lbs fluro, I just wait for line to twitch, stop or move differently all the while tending my line as per water flow. What advantage is there to a tapered leader?

I just find it helps turn the fly over better. Especially when using bigger flies that have some weight 

#17 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:46 AM

tapered leaders help your presentation, they will roll out and allow the fly to land softly on the water without spooking the fish. with your setup, the fly will flop over.  they become even more important when dry fly fishing.  you will also notice a big difference when using the roll cast vs a traditional fly cast.

#18 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 09:06 AM

The heavier section at the back aid in transferring energy from the fly line to the leader to turn flies over as well. This can also be accomplished by making your own tapered leader by joining various diameters of mono. There are formulas out there on Google.

#19 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 10:20 AM

I have seen the tapered leader but I'm afraid of the cost see as how much leader material I go through, been reading up some more and for steel I'm going to try out a tapered leader with tippet rings and se how that goes. These freaking Chinook have taken a toll on my equipment. My loop is gone, almost all my leader material, likely 50 flies and my patience. I'm committed to taking my kids out one more time but I think the pin will be employed for said outing. Just fishing for fun as we have lots of roe, Chinook, Steelhead and Coho(did not harvest a coho for this) Friend found one floating down the rapids.

#20 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 12:45 PM

Your loop is destroyed because you are attaching 10 lb test to it. Fine mono cuts into the coating. Hence starting a leader with a 25 or 20 lb test loop will cut into it way less. Another reason for a tapered leader. They last a while as you can keep replacing the tippet section by knotting another piece on