Photo

What's your go-to Steelhead leader setup?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:20 PM

Got it. Live and learn. So far the uni knot to line is holding but will make a loop with some higher test mono before I go out next

#22 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 07:27 PM

I have seen the tapered leader but I'm afraid of the cost see as how much leader material I go through, been reading up some more and for steel I'm going to try out a tapered leader with tippet rings and se how that goes. These freaking Chinook have taken a toll on my equipment. My loop is gone, almost all my leader material, likely 50 flies and my patience. I'm committed to taking my kids out one more time but I think the pin will be employed for said outing. Just fishing for fun as we have lots of roe, Chinook, Steelhead and Coho(did not harvest a coho for this) Friend found one floating down the rapids.

cut the loop off and tie in a new one using a perfection loop knot. my fly line is on its 4th season of chinooks and holding strong. salmon are very strong, and will break will off, its pretty much a guaruntee unless you're using 50# braid.

#23 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 07:48 PM

cut the loop off and tie in a new one using a perfection loop knot. my fly line is on its 4th season of chinooks and holding strong. salmon are very strong, and will break will off, its pretty much a guaruntee unless you're using 50# braid.

He's using 10 lb straight mono. It will still cut the coating. Need to start with a section of 20 or 25lb for the loop. If the loop on the fly line is trashed you can affix a braided loop,or nail knot a piece of heavy mono to the fly line and tie a loop in it for loop to loop connection

#24 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 08:23 PM

I have a 30lb mono loop to my fly line, 2 seasons and so far, no problem..

knot6.gif

#25 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 02:03 PM

I agree Dilli I never use a strike indicator on the fly.

If i want an indicator, id be float fishing with a centerpin....thats just me....

Indicator is not always used for indicating the strike. Most of the fly fisherman use indicator for better line control . In Europe indicators are clear/transparent you can hardly see them but they are used for line managing. Especially when when you fishing pockets between two fast currents anchors the line in one spot.