• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TasteTheRainbow

TasteTheRainbow

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 10:02 PM

So from what I been told over the years if you get pricked by the barbs on a catfish you will have some discomfort for a day or two. My question is what is the proper way to handle a catfish so I don't get hurt or hurt the fish in the process?

#2 McLean2016

McLean2016

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 11:05 PM

I grew up with a catfish pong in my backyard as a kid, literally. Got barbed many times learning, it stings for a little while. No where near two days, unless you get a super deep gash. I did hear an old wives tale that if you rub the tail of the catfish over the barbed area it takes the sting away, but who knows if that's legit.
Easiest way to handle any catfish is to grab them over the back, with the barb that's in the middle of their back cradled just above your hand.
Then your thumb will be on the one side of the catfish behind the barb, an on the opposite side you keep the barb between your two fingers.
The fish can flap around all it wants, but your in control. I've seen guys lip em too, but some of them have pretty strong jaw muscles.
Good luck, an let us know how you make out!

#3 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2016 - 10:52 AM

I grab them from the top.
Dorsal between index and middle finger.
Little finger and thumb in front of pecs.
Squeeze lightly.
They are fantastic on the dinner plate.
Bit of a pain skinning.
But well worth the effort.

#4 McLean2016

McLean2016

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 11:25 AM

Quick tip for cleaning, cut the skin behind the catfishes head all the way around. Once you cut the full circle, grab a set of pliers an pull on the skin. Comes off like a sock, all in one shot. Super handy way of cleaning them

#5 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2016 - 11:33 AM

yup
Exactly.
Buddy of mine pushes them onto a spike he has on a tree.
Just pull straight down with pliers.
Pink sweet meat.
Right up there taste wise with specs Perch and small walleye.

#6 Fishing Urban Ontario

Fishing Urban Ontario

Sunfish

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 05:08 PM

A little off topic but just curious, do Brown Bullheads and Channel Catfish have actual poison in they're barbs like bees with stingers? Or is it bacteria or just the shear uncomfortable pain of it that makes it sting? The more details you can give on this the better.

#7 McLean2016

McLean2016

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 07:16 PM

Couldn't give you a truthful answer, I would assume it's bacteria you have to worry about. The barbs are very jagged bones, basically a defence mechanism. I'm sure you can find the answer online somewhere, maybe Wikipedia?

#8 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 11:24 PM

From my understanding their barbs are setup in a way to make it difficult for another fish to swallow you and reactions take place because we react to bacteria + open wounds/cuts.  Similar to being poked by a sunfish and having your hand swell for a week.  

#9 Legend Boats

Legend Boats

Sunfish

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:09 PM

If you are handling small mud cats and such. You can grab them behind their fins and stay clear of the points. If you are handling larger catfish. You can hold them up like a walleye or bass and lip them since they don’t have sharp teeth but make sure to support their belly. 

Cheers
Henry - Legend Boats