• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 fenwickfisher

fenwickfisher

Sunfish

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:27 PM

I switched my fishing day to Monday from Wednesday this year due to work and family commitments but it seems there's a lot more pressure.

I don't know if it's the day of the week or just the fact that there's more guys out this year. Just yesterday I fished a popular GB hole in gin clear water it was elbow to elbow on both sides even guys waiting on the bank for a chance to fish. In 2 hours I only saw 1 fish caught and 4 other hook-ups. I happened to hook one but before I knew it I already had a guy wrapped around my main line, must've frayed the line, snap fish and float gone.

Lots of guys hero drifting and some surprising lack of etiquette for this time year vis a vis guys whipping back their float salmon snag style. I left and drove 1 hour west hoping for some relative solitude but same story, all good runs had multiple anglers and in about 3 hours saw only 1 fish hooked amongst about 30 guys.

I think we need more open water and catch and release or slot limits, fishery is great and we're very lucky but it can be much better, it's getting a bit ridiculous.

im gonna agree with you on this one...zone 17 is probably the smallest fmz in the area yet we have one of the largest populations of anglers...something needs to change

#22 Crankin Fishies

Crankin Fishies

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:50 PM

im gonna agree with you on this one...zone 17 is probably the smallest fmz in the area yet we have one of the largest populations of anglers...something needs to change

Ya and one of the things that needs to change is the amount of CO's...

#23 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 09:26 PM

There's for sure steel around, they just can't make it very far where I am fishing. There is one pool close to the mouth of the river where they all stack up because they can't go much further, and everyones been pulling them out of there. This time I am praying for the rain not so I can fish, but for at least a few of these guys to make it to their spawning grounds this year before being pulled out of that one hole.

Yup this sucks.  I've seen the same fish posted on social media posted 4x already...rosey cheeks with marks on its back.

#24 Crankin Fishies

Crankin Fishies

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 10:39 PM

Been out many more times with still no steelhead caught and have yet to even see one... maybe one day

#25 Huronfly

Huronfly

Sunfish

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 09:29 AM

darn I feel bad for some of you guys... I was out 3 days last week and only saw 2 other fly anglers. No doubt the popular pools are probably shoulder to shoulder but a bit of walking can pay off. Fewer fish in less likely, but still good runs, but it's so nice not to worry about someone ruining my day! Only one fish hooked but I'm ok with that, bring on the rain already!!

#26 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 09:51 AM

My trib has a full run even with that little rain we had last week. Of course it will also bring a lot of anglers in. All the popular pool are occupied. You need to have a plan A to E if you really want to enjoy steelhead fishing. I had 2 steels on Sat morning. 2 last night. I'm done going in the middle of the day. too many people and fish are spooked out...

#27 Crankin Fishies

Crankin Fishies

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 10:26 AM

My trib has a full run even with that little rain we had last week. Of course it will also bring a lot of anglers in. All the popular pool are occupied. You need to have a plan A to E if you really want to enjoy steelhead fishing. I had 2 steels on Sat morning. 2 last night. I'm done going in the middle of the day. too many people and fish are spooked out...

Errr...😑

#28 fisherman2280

fisherman2280

Sunfish

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 11:12 AM

I would have to agree :)  the biggest of the two I pulled in the whole ten min it took me while I was waiting by the water so took some casts. First time waiting for the GF was ok :)

2l9sbr4.png

#29 Crankin Fishies

Crankin Fishies

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 02:14 PM

Are most people fishing closer to the mouth of the river? I am quite a ways up river so maybe that's my problem..

#30 fisherman2280

fisherman2280

Sunfish

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 02:20 PM

yes these were pulled near the mouth but they have been running for a few weeks now so they should be getting up there.

#31 Fisherman Dave

Fisherman Dave

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 03:42 PM

@fisherman2280 that one almost looks like a coho to me, but that's off quick glance. Spots all over tail = rainbow, spots on upper half of tail only = coho. I think, jesus the memory is starting to go...

Where I prefer to fish, there are several spots of so stupid shallow water (we are talking 4" or so) for 50-100 meters, basically 1 or 2 km from the mouth. There's times you go when the water level is low and say "how the hell do these trout make it up this shallow water?" But there are also times you go and say "there is 0 chance a trout is making it up this shallow water." The latter is the issue were facing this year I fear. Trout are not like salmon that will beach themselves and keep bouncing until they make it to the next pool. Of course some of the brave (stupid?) trout will try to make it up those stupid shallows, but they are not like salmon who just go go go no matter what the water is like, trout stack up and stage in pools a hell of a lot more than salmon due this time of year. I have no choice but to move out of my comfort zone to chase the chrome now, which sounds dramatic but I just mean I am going to have to go to tribs that I don't like the look/drive as much and are likely to have more jerkoffs. But the 2-3 tribs I really like to fish are simply not going to get the run this year, so unless I want to still fish in a chair at the pier for a few hours I am going to have to take my hiking elsewhere.

You know the old joke that the run is cancelled this year? Well there is no rain in the forecast where I fish, water is lower than it's been "in 40 years" says every old guy I run into, and my favourite spots way up river are not going to hold fish for a long time because the fish can't get past the first 3 holes due to too shallow water and being pulled out by every angler who are now condensed to those same 3 holes. Crazy because I feel we got the best Chinook run that we have in FOREVER (95% American fish, but still) despite this shallow water, but it's been dry since may so any rain will just get absorbed by the fields instantly. Will be a while yet for the fields to get frozen to the point water can run-off, and were still getting temperatures in the 20's. Before you know it, extended season will be closed without me venturing further than 2km from the mouth. Never thought I would willfully choose to go face the white bucket brigade in some places, but this sucks!

/endrant

#32 fisherman2280

fisherman2280

Sunfish

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 04:00 PM

Both were rainbows for sure. Bad Camera. Don't usually keep fish or take pixs but the GF wouldn't let me put it back so I told her she needs to net it and deal with it cause I can't kill anything. Dam tough girl.

#33 fisherman2280

fisherman2280

Sunfish

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 04:21 PM

Number two:33dhvg4.jpg

#34 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 04:53 PM

I almost picked those two up myself, No frills isle 15 beside the lobster tails

#35 fisherman2280

fisherman2280

Sunfish

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 03:09 PM

IR4J one day your'll be able to say you caught a fish and stop hitting no frills, don't give up IR4J your time will come.