• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Garfield the Cat

Garfield the Cat

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 12:56 PM

Can anyone suggest some fly selection I should go for this fall???? Not sure what the steel or Browns would be feeding on....

#2 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 03:43 PM

Egg sucking leeches and willy buggers are a good start

#3 ApacheFishingVentures

ApacheFishingVentures

Sunfish

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:21 PM

Totally depends on what you are fishing, but Swing4steel has told you about by far the most productive day in and day out patterns for most species in the fall. Those 2 alone tied in a variation of colours will catch you Steelhead, Salmon, Smallies, Carp and anything that would possibly take a fly. Now if you are looking to to swing, there are some traditional salmon and steelhead patterns tied on salmon hooks that will be a hit or miss depending on what they are feeding on, but are just beautiful to fish regardless. And on the other end of the spectrum for swinging, you have all your intruder/trailer hook style flies that will get better hooksets but is again a hit or miss thing based on a number of variables. Like Swing4steel said, good start would be egg sucking leeches and wooly buggers

#4 MadocFlyGuy

MadocFlyGuy

Perch

• Moderators
  • 753 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:40 PM

Personally a big fan of nymphs - two faves are a black stone in various sizes, or green caddis in smaller sizes. Obviously the river will dictate which nymphs to use though - just do a quick check on the bottom of a few stones in the water, and they'll tell you what the fish may be eating :)

#5 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 07:07 PM

Glo bugs and San Juan worms.

#6 Garfield the Cat

Garfield the Cat

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:34 PM

Thx y'all. Sunday I'll give it a go

#7 fenwickfisher

fenwickfisher

Sunfish

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 07:26 AM

Rusty rat and silver rat...ive also had success with black or purple intruders

#8 fortunato

fortunato

Earthworm

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 05:55 AM

when water is low n clear,mysis shrimp in a size 16.....generic prince nymphs seem to out produce most other flies for me,day in,day out for the great lake tribs

#9 Huronfly

Huronfly

Sunfish

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 29 October 2016 - 01:37 PM

Lash some marabou or rabbit strip on a hook as they undulate in the current very well, and match colours and sizes to conditions, two colours gives nice contrast. I don't personally believe they are that picky on which fly you are using but at the depth, speed, and angle of the swing(for streamers or spey). Black stoneflies always seem to work well too.