12 replies to this topic

#1 Swany93

Swany93

Sunfish

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 01:29 PM

Hey guys,

Didn't know whether to post this here, or in flyfishing forum, but what weight rod would you suggest for lake Ontario tribs, I'm in niagara, but have been fishing the GTA tribs more. I have a 6 wt but don't know if that's too light, or if i should invest heavier. 

Thanks guy

#2 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2016 - 01:39 PM

I wouldn't even worry about it this year.
No water. No steel.
Yeah. Sarcasm.

#3 Swany93

Swany93

Sunfish

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 01:52 PM

I wouldn't even worry about it this year.
No water. No steel.
Yeah. Sarcasm.

I was actually thinking for next year aha

I haven't been out since the last half decent rain, so two weeks ago

#4 Paul1913

Paul1913

Perch

• Active Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 01:55 PM

I have an 7/8 but know people that use as low as 5wt. I think you should be ok with 6. See how the spring goes.

It's not like you need to chuck huge flies.

#5 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2016 - 02:06 PM

I was actually thinking for next year aha
I haven't been out since the last half decent rain, so two weeks ago

Yea . Been brutal water wise.
I'm just ticked that this is normally the best steel season.
Now I'm stuck with the opener slouches.

#6 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 07:12 PM

last year i used 6wt rod. no issues but it's more of a confidence issue when fighting bigger fish...i'd be more at ease with an 8wt.

#7 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2016 - 09:42 PM

Come on Dill.
Your full of confidence. Smile.

#8 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:26 AM

Come on Dill.
Your full of confidence. Smile.

i only have two fly rods left. and i doubt i can still claim warranties on them...so handling a bigger fish on my 6wt kinda gets me worried.  i know my 8wt has handled way bigger salmon but steels are just a different kind of monster.

#9 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:19 PM

Ha. True
Steel unpredictable.
That's why they're so much fun.
I miss em. Lol

#10 torco

torco

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 11:09 AM

I have a 11 foot 7wt switch rod, its versatile in that you can obviously fish it spey and swing flies or you can use it like a single handed rod....its a great nymphing rod, the extra length comes in handy....although I sometimes ask myself if I am nymphing a bead why I have not just invested in a centre pin :razz: ah well with busy household these days I don't get out very much anymore anyways.

#11 Huronfly

Huronfly

Sunfish

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:51 PM

I get by no problem at all with a 6 weight on smaller tribs, use side pressure and fish will wear themselves out. When I fish bigger rivers I turn to a 11' 7wt switch or 13' 7wt spey.

#12 Swany93

Swany93

Sunfish

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 11:39 PM

Thanks for all your help guys, it'll probably come down to if I can even afford a new rod when it comes time haha I'm using a float rod with a spinner real at the moment and I mean it's fine, cause it was cheap for my first year but I think I'd prefer on fly rod. Always possibility of a center pin but probably be the same price to buy a Heavier rod haha

#13 altiplano

altiplano

Earthworm

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 12:19 PM

Sorry for jumping in on this thread but it seemed relevant.

I'm looking for suggestion on replacing some gear - reels/lines/more...

During my move to Ontario from BC a duffle bag didn't make it.

My rods and waders made it. EVERYTHING else was lost - reels, lines, fly boxes, vest, accessories etc... I'm gutted.

Anyway, life goes on and it's a good time to get some new/updated stuff.

What I have -

Rod 1 - Orvis PM10 5wt.

I used to fish this with a Lamson LP 2.0 with full float/sink tip/full sink lines. I fished it on rivers/lakes for trout, occasional steelhead.

Rod 2 - Sage 896RPL 8wt.

I used to fish this with a Lamson LP 3.5 with either a floating line or shooting head for salmon and steelhead in BC rivers.

I fished both setups occasionally in the salt with float lines for coho when the trolling was slow too...

So that's what I'm coming from... Looking to primarily get into rivers in S.Ont - I have a NY steelhead planned next month... Wanting to get the 5wt running for both trout and steelhead fishing, the 8wt just steelhead...

I've never fished a large arbour reel but that looks like the number these days, I was looking at Sage and Lamson online - not the same company anymore - any suggestions?

Also what lines are you guys running for winter steelhead?

All suggestions on spending my money and getting me back up and running are appreciated. I haven't though about/kept up with gear much for 20 years and have never fished East of the Bow river...

Thanks and sorry for the thread hijack.