• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:39 AM

Good Morning Gentleman and women of OFF!

I am looking to modify my current gear/ acquire new gear and set myself up to do some Ice fishing for Steelhead, Browntrout, and anything else that may be located in our harbors/rivers come winter.

If you don't want to publicize your advice, I am open to PM!

I was more so wondering;

- What are the most productive baits? (Roe, Flies or Minnows - and the size(s)?)

- What areas get "better" runs then others?

- What line(s) setups are best (lb test, main line, leaders?)

- What your "generic" setup is? (Inline Weight? Inline hook? Multiple hooks?)

Anything helps!

Cheers!

#2 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 04:12 PM

I have some general guidelines, most of the fishing is deadsticking although I do know some people who have successfully jigged up chrome.

Slack water/frog water you will want to use bait, generally 1 rod with roe and 1 rod with a minnow. I prefer a 3 way rig in most scenarios (unless water is dead calm) this consists of a mainline (8lb mono) to a 3 way swivel with a dropper to an egg weight and a tag end of the flouro of your choice to your bait (play with length but I stick to around a foot) 

In faster water the same rig will work, however I tend to prefer roe as your minnow wont necessarily fight the current. The other thing that I have seen done to great success is running a flatfish style bait/ shallow crank/spin'n'glo off of your tag end and backing it down the current. you can also do this without the 3way but I prefer it as it insures your bait will be near bottom.

Just some general thoughts, Im sure Ive left some information out 

#3 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:11 PM

I was thinking of even running 2 minnows on a line with a dropper bait but I wasn't sure if that would be "too much".

Is there a size preference for when using minnows?

Appreciate it IR4J!

#4 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 01:29 PM

i've only done it a few times but I was successful just throwing on a roe bag with a fluro leader and a few split shots above the swivel in slow water. I was using a sonar and when the fish was on the screen but not taking the bait I would do slow lifts to entice the strike.

#5 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 02:12 PM

Thanks Nado!

I was also wondering about "where" do you find the fish? (deeper pockets, structure, near walls?)

#6 IR4J

IR4J

Perch

• Active Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 03:31 PM

I was thinking of even running 2 minnows on a line with a dropper bait but I wasn't sure if that would be "too much".

Is there a size preference for when using minnows?

Appreciate it

Whatever we can get our hands on, nothing to small but the preference is definitely pins/shiners 

All of the spots you mentioned will have fish, I generally focus on deeper water and structure. But if you are in a marina/harbour/mouth they can obviously be anywhere. Best to drill a few holes and set up your two lines. 

#7 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 05:02 PM

Thanks Nado!

I was also wondering about "where" do you find the fish? (deeper pockets, structure, near walls?)

Wherever there is ice strong enough to stand on with a decent amount of water below. 

#8 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 05:03 PM

Well you guys seem to know what your doing! When there is safe enough ice and someone wants to meet up on the ice, Ill be more than happy to share my hut with you!

Regards,

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Steel Head, Ice, Icefishimg, Chrome, fishing, trout