Whisker1

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 03:41 PM

2016-06-18 07.34.15_1.jpg

2016-06-18 07.34.32.jpg

Hi Folks,

I hope the pics work for you. It's kind of a new format for this ol' computer illiterate, LOL!

I know she's not the calibre of monster carp that some of you far more experienced carp anglers and enthusiasts are used to catching, but this season, starting in the spring, was the first time that I have ever really tried to fish specifically for these wonderful powerhouses, and must admit that I had so much fun doing so!

It was really great therapy for me. Easy access, basically across the street from my home, plentiful carp of varying sizes ready and willing to attack my no-fuss, vanilla-scented, canned sweet-corn bait, and a quiet river-side setting with all kinds of wildlife right in the centre of town - just fantastic!

Sometimes the best fishing IS right under one's nose...

I'm not sure exactly sure how big this baby was, but my wife had to run home to get the bigger landing net, the fish just would NOT fit, LOL!

I do believe that this might be the biggest fish I've ever caught, and I'm in my 50's, so I'm quite proud of the animal. I think it's a pretty nice-looking specimen.

I'm guessing around the twenty-pound mark? What do you guys think? It was a heck of a tussle on my trusty old Mitchell noodle rod, old, but carefully maintained Shimano Sedona rear-drag real, and 6lb Stren monoflament with a single split shot and and "octopus-style hook" (my standard carp rig for the less snaggy areas). The fish tend to be in close to shore, so there is generally no need for long casts at all.

Thanks for any input if you should have a size "guess-timation". I'm never quite sure...

And as always, after a few quick pics the fish was carefully released as gently as possible.

Thank you for looking.

Cheers, and Good Luck, Everyone!

Simon

#2 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2016 - 06:35 PM

Great your getting out and enjoying yourself Simon.
Looks to me about 80lbs. Ha

#3 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:19 PM

Nice Carp Simon!  Look at that fat round belly...

What made you start targeting them now?  It's so much fun when the carp bite is on and they start peeling line.

#4 Whisker1

Whisker1

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 01:18 PM

Great your getting out and enjoying yourself Simon.
Looks to me about 80lbs. Ha

Thanks very much.

And I'll go along with THAT size estimation, LOL!...

Cheers!

#5 Whisker1

Whisker1

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 02:08 PM

Nice Carp Simon!  Look at that fat round belly...

What made you start targeting them now?  It's so much fun when the carp bite is on and they start peeling line.

Thank you so much!

Well, being originally from England, you'd think I'd have been after the "British National Fish (LOL)" here in Canada long before now, but I honestly haven't wet a line in more than fifteen years or so. (I'm amazed at all the new lures and super-lines and rods and reels and everything available now - and also the prices - TEN BUCKS for an original Rapala Minnow = heart attack!!!)

Anyhow, I've struggled with some issues in recent years, and after my regular fishing buddy from work moved away out west, I basically lost interest in what had been my all-time favourite sport since I was a little kid and we moved to Canada.

I know it may sound "corny", but fishing for carp this season really was exceptionally therapeutic for me, as it allowed me to actually get outside, a little bit at a time, and relax and re-connect with the outdoors and fishing all over again (and actually catch some fish for a change!)

I used to think that carp were really hard to catch, as I had tried catching them years ago as a kid, with the ol' dew worm, but they'd generally just run from a worm as if it was 'kryptonite", so I gave up trying to catch them, and there was really not much info on carp fishing at the time. Every now and then we'd luck out and hook one, and the fight was incredible, and that always stuck with me. "How can we catch these things  consistently?" was what my buddies and I wanted to know...

But now that I've learned some simple techniques to getting them on a regular basis, and apart from big Channel Cats, which are also tops on my list, I truly adore fishing for these beautiful animals, and I don't care if they're big or small - if they put a bend in my rod I'm a happy camper!

The best thing this season was that I was even able to introduce my wife, daughter, grand-daughter and grand-son to the fun of catching these magnificent creatures that so many folks still turn their noses up at. To see my twelve-year old grand-son battling and landing a good-sized carp was a real treat for all of us, and he was amazed at the strength of just a modest-sized specimen. He couldn't get enough, LOL!

And to teach everyone responsible catch and release was great - seeing his face as he watched that powerful fish swim gracefully away to live and fight again was worth the day in itself.

Thank you for the kind comments.

Cheers, and all the best!

Good luck with all of your piscatorial endeavours.

Next season should REALLY be fun!

Simon