• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:24 PM

@bear, have watched the videos and thank you. it looks like it will work surf casting this as well.

#22 BearInTheWoods

BearInTheWoods

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:02 PM

@BearInTheWoods, Thank you for keeping me in mind! It is a great "entry level" flip if anyone is looking to get one, Do you know what the "sale price" is? (nothing listed on the Canadian Tire Website)

I am looking at going "all out" and purchase an Otter Sled for an unnecessary large amount of money that will only be satisfied by my comfort lol.

If someone knows Santa and wants to leave him a note, tell him I am hoping to get the "Otter PRO XT Cabin" for christmas this year!  :mrgreen:

Crap, must have sold in the last couple days. I was showing my brother on Saturday and it was still listed online - It was the older model of the trekker 2 man flip with the sled attached and everything. Looks like only the new model is listed now, basically the same thing but over twice the price. Shame too, it was 214.93 down from 499.99. Hopefully someone got it who will put it to good use

#23 BearInTheWoods

BearInTheWoods

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:06 PM

Thanks for the process video.  I'm gonna try live/deadbait for pike next year.

Thank you sir! I had sporadically watched a couple of your videos before but never really saw the depth of your channel until recently. I am seriously loving your old centerpin videos. You've given me at least 3-4 weeks worth of viewing content. I dedicate an eighth of my screen to watching fishing videos while I work... but there is so much action I find I'm not getting as much work done as usual. I've been bouncing back and forth on whether to start pinning myself and I think it has now overtaken my desire for a kayak lol

#24 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 04:48 PM

If you are going to be pulling the flip by hand I wouldn't go any bigger than a 1 man flip. Those things are ridiculous to pull out, I ended up making a smitty for mine. For the most part i'll just use the flip when there isn't snow on the ice and once theres more than a few inches out there i'll just bring the pop up. Another very important feature is having a door at the front, don't fall for any of those older models without a door on kijiji they are selling those for a reason.

#25 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 05:38 PM

Crap, must have sold in the last couple days. I was showing my brother on Saturday and it was still listed online - It was the older model of the trekker 2 man flip with the sled attached and everything. Looks like only the new model is listed now, basically the same thing but over twice the price. Shame too, it was 214.93 down from 499.99. Hopefully someone got it who will put it to good use

Hopefully we will see out on the ice near us this hard water season! aha.

If you are going to be pulling the flip by hand I wouldn't go any bigger than a 1 man flip. Those things are ridiculous to pull out, I ended up making a smitty for mine. For the most part i'll just use the flip when there isn't snow on the ice and once theres more than a few inches out there i'll just bring the pop up. Another very important feature is having a door at the front, don't fall for any of those older models without a door on kijiji they are selling those for a reason.

I know the model I mention is a bit on the "heavier" side of things, but its surprisingly light for what it offers! 2 swivel seats, 1200 Denier (Thermal), Full frame for the seats and only 104 lbs!

My current sled setup weighs approximately that much, but thats why I like to bring a buddy with a second sled to carry the auger, propane and rods! All in all, if my math is "correct" and includes everything, This sled will weigh approx 165 fully loaded (one sled) compared to over 200lbs in my other gear!

#26 NADO

NADO

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 05:49 PM

That is an insane amount of weight to be pulling through a foot of snow! Thats fine for setting up shop close to shore and staying put but that would be pure torture when you have to hike a few km to the spot.

#27 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:23 PM

Lighter the better.

#28 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 06:59 PM

You just have too be a man Nado! I've managed to wear out the tub of my 2 man clam flip pulling by hand over the last 10 years.

#29 NADO

NADO

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:05 PM

You just have too be a man Nado! I've managed to wear out the tub of my 2 man clam flip pulling by hand over the last 10 years.

Pulling it in circles in your driveway doesn't count

#30 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:53 PM

That is an insane amount of weight to be pulling through a foot of snow! Thats fine for setting up shop close to shore and staying put but that would be pure torture when you have to hike a few km to the spot.

Lol, Well I am 25 now, and id rather be fishing then in a gym, so this is my way of working out!

My buddy and I walked out to a few places last year (round trip was over 7km according to my GPS trackers (Fitbit and phone!)

#31 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 06:45 PM

It all sounds easy...until you have to do it.

Heed the warning...doesn't matter how fit or strong you think you are...

The lighter the better. A 100lb sled doesn't glide as easy as you think...but rather, plow into the snow and there is A LOT of resistance from it. Also, the snow on the lake is not flat, especially on a big lake. There will be times you are pulling the sled through waist high dunes...up and down, up and down...or worse plowing right through it if the snow is too soft for the sled to ride above. That is a killer because every time you hit a dune, the momentum stops and you are using extra energy just to get the sled to start moving again. Never mind several kilometers...imagine just a kilometer of it. Then, there are some locations, such as that killer hill at BP on Lady S, where you have to pull the sled up the icy hill at the END of your day when you are already tired as heck. Not fun.

Even with 2 people, pulling a 100lb sled plus gear for a couple of kilometers one way will make you sleep really, really well on the car ride home...

#32 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 07:58 AM

It all sounds easy...until you have to do it.

Heed the warning...doesn't matter how fit or strong you think you are...

The lighter the better. A 100lb sled doesn't glide as easy as you think...but rather, plow into the snow and there is A LOT of resistance from it. Also, the snow on the lake is not flat, especially on a big lake. There will be times you are pulling the sled through waist high dunes...up and down, up and down...or worse plowing right through it if the snow is too soft for the sled to ride above. That is a killer because every time you hit a dune, the momentum stops and you are using extra energy just to get the sled to start moving again. Never mind several kilometers...imagine just a kilometer of it. Then, there are some locations, such as that killer hill at BP on Lady S, where you have to pull the sled up the icy hill at the END of your day when you are already tired as heck. Not fun.

Even with 2 people, pulling a 100lb sled plus gear for a couple of kilometers one way will make you sleep really, really well on the car ride home...

I am saying I have been doing it - for the past two years!

Its trickiest on Ice, when you dont have traction so pulling (or starting to pull) your sled is hard. Pull to hard and it hits you in the back of the feet!

#33 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:29 AM

I am saying I have been doing it - for the past two years!

Its trickiest on Ice, when you dont have traction so pulling (or starting to pull) your sled is hard. Pull to hard and it hits you in the back of the feet!

Enjoy it while you're 25 LOL. But heck, why would you put yourself through so much just for a fish?

I'm approaching 35 and there were a lot of things I used to be able to do when I was 25.

Do you have cleats? I don't find any traction problem pulling on ice with a pair of cleats. I always tug the sled from the side to get it started on the ice, so it doesn't come hurling straight at me. I also try to remember to step aside if I intend to stop so the sled doesn't hit me from behind. I hate dunes though...you work hard to get the sled up the top of the dune, and the it comes barreling down at you. Or you'll have to walk behind it and tug from behind to slow it down. It messes with the pace of the hike out.

#34 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:38 AM

Enjoy it while you're 25 LOL. But heck, why would you put yourself through so much just for a fish?

I'm approaching 35 and there were a lot of things I used to be able to do when I was 25.

Do you have cleats? I don't find any traction problem pulling on ice with a pair of cleats. I always tug the sled from the side to get it started on the ice, so it doesn't come hurling straight at me. I also try to remember to step aside if I intend to stop so the sled doesn't hit me from behind. I hate dunes though...you work hard to get the sled up the top of the dune, and the it comes barreling down at you. Or you'll have to walk behind it and tug from behind to slow it down. It messes with the pace of the hike out.

I do not use cleats, I use the "Baffin Titan Boots" - Best Investment for Icefishing ever! I do find Cleats/straps all over the ice whenever I go out though! (I put them on a post near the shore/entrance for the owner to reclaim it! (or so is my intention)

As for pulling the sled on ice and dunes, I use a long rope to pull my sled, on dunes I release the sled slowly downhill (completely) before going down the hill myself! I use the safety line on a "Electrical cord spool" as an extension in some areas where needed!

#35 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 08:54 AM

Try putting a few hex nuts screws on the bottom of the boot for traction if you don't like cleats. I can usually feel one of my cleat has fallen off so I have yet to lose them. I do lose a lot of loaner pairs when friends use them though...

#36 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:08 AM

cleats are cheap and very useful on ice. heck even dollarama has them.

#37 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:39 PM

Aha, I haven't fallen yet, and I am never in a rush to get anywhere so I have managed so far!

#38 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:03 PM

Aha, I haven't fallen yet, and I am never in a rush to get anywhere so I have managed so far!

Have you fished any really windy days when it is only a sheet of ice? It's hard to even stand up without cleats...never mind setting up the hut. LOL

#39 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2016 - 02:48 PM

Or the days of a quick melt and 6" of water ends up around your hut.
Hut operator came out to pick us up.
Took us longer to re-catch our fish in that water still very much alive. And with a couple cases of beer in us we all ended up taking a quick swim.
Slippery situation but a good work out.

#40 TheTallOutdoorsman

TheTallOutdoorsman

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 03:00 PM

Have you fished any really windy days when it is only a sheet of ice? It's hard to even stand up without cleats...never mind setting up the hut. LOL

Yes of course! I was out on a "big lake to the north", winds were at almost 70km/h, we were trying to setup my tent (ended up breaking the posts) the tent was like a parachute and I felt like I was wind surfing! (it was the end of last year - last day of "safer" ice)

Or the days of a quick melt and 6" of water ends up around your hut.
Hut operator came out to pick us up.
Took us longer to re-catch our fish in that water still very much alive. And with a couple cases of beer in us we all ended up taking a quick swim.
Slippery situation but a good work out.

I have had that happen, last year in particular! I was returning at night after going for perch and the water was ponding over 10" in areas!