3 replies to this topic

#1 liljud92

liljud92

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 09:30 PM

Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide where on the lake to fish and, on a related note, where to stay. Where are the best May pike spots? Is there a particular area on the lake where the pike spawn? Is spring or fall better for pike on Nip?

- liljud

#2 Will

Will

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:04 PM

In general, late May-Early June for pike in NE Ontario should be pretty easy pickings as far as smaller pike go. I know in the Temiskaming area there are a ton of lakes you could easily catch well over 10 fish in an afternoon during that time of year. But for big fish - different story. I would say some local input (local bait shop) would be a big help as that can be pretty tough to figure out.

#3 Will

Will

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:05 PM

PS - blue/silver husky jerk or silver Williams Wabler in lakes with a lot of smelt. Not sure about Lake Nip.

#4 liljud92

liljud92

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 03:47 PM

In general, late May-Early June for pike in NE Ontario should be pretty easy pickings as far as smaller pike go. I know in the Temiskaming area there are a ton of lakes you could easily catch well over 10 fish in an afternoon during that time of year. But for big fish - different story. I would say some local input (local bait shop) would be a big help as that can be pretty tough to figure out.

PS - blue/silver husky jerk or silver Williams Wabler in lakes with a lot of smelt. Not sure about Lake Nip.

Thanks Will. I usually fish Georgian Bay in May for Pike and the big ones do seem to stack up in particular areas whereas the smaller ones are scattered about. And the blue husky jerk and Williams are for sure the most effective spring lures on GB in my opinion. 

Do you think Fall is better than Spring for big fish in Northeastern Ontario? 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Pike, Lake Nipissing, Spring, Spawn, Northern Pike