• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 LogJam

LogJam

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 04:39 PM

A new year of ice fishing is on the go. Have there been any ice condition reports yet? i have heard of a few areas with safe ice, but all could change after this weekend.... plz post any conditions you may be aware of... plz and thanks. be safe out there.

#2 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 04:51 PM

Guys have been out in the Bancroft area and as south as BOQ . Ice is not safe at this time of year with the temps jumping up and down. Give it some time and if you do go out use the buddy system and be prepared if you do go for a dip.

#3 LogJam

LogJam

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:25 AM

yeah temps are not going to keep things safe, some harbors already have 6 inch's of ice, had a friend out on some Ontario tribs few days, got a few bows.

#4 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:56 AM

A friend of mine took an icefishing newbie onto 2" of black ice somewhere on BOQ. The newbie had no safety gear (survival suit, ice picks, etc). My friend only had 3-4 years of experience and had never ran into any dangerous situation, so he assumes it's OK. I gave them both a stern lecture. . Please stay off this early ice, especially with the warm temp. It's not worth a fish. Don't be a statistics!!!

#5 bigugly

bigugly

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 12:43 PM

Yeah I'm not heading out just yet. Even with survival gear, all that does in delay time. It's not ready yet give it another week or so. I've been through once in my life and I'm very cautious will not go out unless there is a good 5-6" of black ice preferably more. Believe me you hit that water and you will learn a whole new meaning of cold and panic!! They say stay calm.....hahaha yeah right!

#6 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 02:18 PM

Exactly. People assume they can handle it until they go in for real. That cold water hits you so suddenly that you struggle to even breathe, never mind trying to stay afloat when the muscles cramp and numbs. Although I've never officially fallen in, I had gone waist deep into freezing water for over 30 minutes in a snowmobile accident. Even that made it difficult to breathe initially due to the cold shock. Feet were numb and tingling for 2 weeks after...thankfully fully recovered now and I can still pick up a pen with my toes. It was not fun at all though. Some people just think they know everything and don't heed warnings. I hate for them to learn the hard way.

I'm 100lbs...I am fine on 4" of ice...but I've had 3" spider web under me in the past. You're asking for trouble eventually on 2" of ice. One misstep and a slippery fall is all that it could take to crack 2".

#7 Trev

Trev

Sunfish

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 05:03 PM

At 230 lbs you won't catch me on the ice for a while yet.

#8 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 05:55 PM

Too risky.why even bother when there's still soft water to cast some spoons and plugs?

#9 LogJam

LogJam

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 10:31 AM

was out at the grand river yesterday fishing for trout near a dam, the water above was ice locked and is about 3-8 inch's, but very wet due to the rain. I'm sure it is solid now and dry with the temps going back below zero. still risky for  full on ice fishing. heard more good thing about some Ontario trib harbors being frozen near boat launches and docks,  alot of the small lakes and ponds around Cambridge are frozen completely over and ready for fishing, defiantly not ready for any snow machines yet. 

i know alot of ya'll are saying its way to early, and not safe.. that may be true for a lot of places but dont take anyone's word for it, i missed out on alot of good fishing last year b/c of information on here. make sure you follow our gut and check things out for your self. and above all be safe and not stupid.

going out later tonight for bows in the harbor. 6-8 inch of ice, no machines and a spud stick. plus a good friend and a tie off rope.

UPDATE: river flooded last night blew out the ice, gonna have to wait few more weeks now. but ponds are still a go..

#10 finnigan

finnigan

Sunfish

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 11:34 AM

Exactly. People assume they can handle it until they go in for real. That cold water hits you so suddenly that you struggle to even breathe, never mind trying to stay afloat when the muscles cramp and numbs. Although I've never officially fallen in, I had gone waist deep into freezing water for over 30 minutes in a snowmobile accident. Even that made it difficult to breathe initially due to the cold shock. Feet were numb and tingling for 2 weeks after...thankfully fully recovered now and I can still pick up a pen with my toes. It was not fun at all though. Some people just think they know everything and don't heed warnings. I hate for them to learn the hard way.

I'm 100lbs...I am fine on 4" of ice...but I've had 3" spider web under me in the past. You're asking for trouble eventually on 2" of ice. One misstep and a slippery fall is all that it could take to crack 2".

You're only 100 lbs muskie? No wonder all the fish you catch look so big! Lol

#11 salmotrutta

salmotrutta

Largemouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:23 PM

going out later tonight for bows in the harbor. 6-8 inch of ice, no machines and a spud stick. plus a good friend and a tie off rope.

UPDATE: river flooded last night blew out the ice, gonna have to wait few more weeks now. but ponds are still a go..

This should be pinned! 

"6-8"s all good...nvm no ice." 

And nevermind rivers, I've seen this happen on local small lakes/ponds, virtually overnight! 

The great thing about fishing on land is that it requires zero experience. Not so with ice fishing. I know there are a lot of experienced ice fisherman who know their spots so well, they can go out early. These are the guys that have fallen through on more than one occasion, and know what it's like. It's still risky for them but nowhere near as risky as a newbie.

As an ice newbie in 2014, I waited for 2-3 months of insanely cold weather before starting to go out. Yes I had to drill through over 2ft of ice, but I must say I much prefer that over the alternative. And I still managed to find areas of extremely sketchy ice, way up north. 

If you've been ice fishing for years, know your lakes like the back of your hand, go nuts. Sure makes me nervous reading about anyone planning to ice fish rivers right now. If anyone is planning that, you sure as hell better be going somewhere with zero current below the ice!

#12 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 07:07 PM

no need to fish for ice, you can just make it in your freezer......

#13 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 12:39 AM

You're only 100 lbs muskie? No wonder all the fish you catch look so big! Lol

Yep! That's why, in my signature line, it reads:

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

I can eat like a 200lb guy but can never gain any weight. The simplest explanation is that there's a black hole in my stomach...

#14 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 09:57 AM

ice fishing on rivers...better know that river well...there is current under the ice. it maybe 4ft but those 3 feet of water can drag you under the ice,...take necessary precautions...if you think you have enough safety gear, bring more...it's never enough...ice fishing is fun...until it's not.

#15 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:59 AM

ice fishing on rivers...better know that river well...there is current under the ice. it maybe 4ft but those 3 feet of water can drag you under the ice,...take necessary precautions...if you think you have enough safety gear, bring more...it's never enough...ice fishing is fun...until it's not.

Like that Uni couple last year.
Caught under ice kayaking.
Very sad.

#16 finnigan

finnigan

Sunfish

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 12:28 PM

Yep! That's why, in my signature line, it reads:

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

I can eat like a 200lb guy but can never gain any weight. The simplest explanation is that there's a black hole in my stomach...

I used to have the same problem. I was 6'1 and 140 lbs lanky as can be. Then I got close to 30 and that all changed. lol

#17 BearInTheWoods

BearInTheWoods

Sunfish

• Active Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 03:07 PM

I'll be heading to the Haliburton area in 6 days - I am hoping for 6" on the main lake but I'll have a backup plan in case not.

I'll be waiting to hear from some of the more experienced guys around here and other sources before I try anything "local" - being that this will be my inaugural season in zones 16-17 and possibly even 18 depending how adventurous I get.

So please keep posting updates if you have any!

#18 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:12 PM

supposed to be 7 degrees next week

#19 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:53 PM

Patience
Ice mid Jan.

#20 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:06 AM

For guys who fish Simcoe yea you might need to wait a few weeks. On the other hand guys who like to wander a bit north from there like Parry Sound , Huntsville, Bancroft areas have ice right now. But like mentioned above, if you don't know the body of water (lake) be cautious or go with someone who knows. Springs, currents and snow covered ice can be deadly on early ice outings.