• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SenkoKing

SenkoKing

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:30 AM

Hey all, looking to spend jan 9th -10th A couple hours north of Bancroft area (driving distance) on some safe Hard water?? 4"+ Any ideas?, as BOQ is far far from freezing.. I don't want your honey hole . LoL. I just want to be safe on the ice,, Maybe a general 100-150km radius of frozen lakes . . . Put my boat away end of October and I'm itchin to get my rod bent :)

#2 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 01:05 AM

I don't fish that area. I hope you can get some info.

However, in general, my own rule is that I won't recommend anyone to any new area or waterbody for early ice if they don't already know the area or waterbody from previous experience. It's just irresponsible to send someone to a new area when you don't know how much icefishing experience they had in the past, whether they have all the safety gear, and how well they can read conditions and hazards on the ice.

How long have you been icefishing? Do you have all necessary safety gear for early ice? And how well do you know the area you intend to fish?

#3 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:32 PM

(613) 332-3940
Ministry of Natural Resources Bancroft District Office, Phone.

#4 SenkoKing

SenkoKing

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:19 PM

This is why I joined the forum, not only info, but the care for others safety, I've been fishing hard water for a few years now, absolutely still a rookie with some safety gear , can never have enough safety gear!!!! And I've talked to a fellow fisherman in Huntsville area that's gonna give me a call as soon as things are COMPLETELY safe , after this darn weather drops temp!!! And I did not know that u can call ministries for ice reports ?

#5 Diana Danger

Diana Danger

Steel Bunny

• Active Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:40 PM

Hey all, looking to spend jan 9th -10th A couple hours north of Bancroft area (driving distance) on some safe Hard water?? 4"+ Any ideas?, as BOQ is far far from freezing.. I don't want your honey hole . LoL. I just want to be safe on the ice,, Maybe a general 100-150km radius of frozen lakes . . . Put my boat away end of October and I'm itchin to get my rod bent :)

Muskoka area takes a long time to freeze.  BOQ has safe ice in 2 spots, I know first hand ;)  There should be plenty of places to fish by that weekend. Remember to post your report!  

#6 SenkoKing

SenkoKing

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:32 PM

Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to post a report

#7 getin

getin

Perch

• Active Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:51 PM

As others have said check where you go and if you are a beginner best to see other people on ice and then follow their tracks (still check, spud, and go with all safety gear including a buddy lol). But in general if you are asking to see if you should, go, I think you would find plenty of lakes in that area with safe ice. I know people have been fishing smaller lakes in Barcroft and north of it for 2 weeks at least.  I myself have been on ice 5 times since Dec. 17, in different places 1 to 3 h north of Toronto. once we felt ice was unsafe and returned the other times I felt safe (3" or more solid ice).