• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 Bird

Bird

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 04:51 PM

Been float fishing since 1980 and am stuck on 2 different reels. Looking for advice on which is better reel BER or River Keeper. Love my angling specialty buy want to try something different.
Thanks

#2 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:41 PM

Not a fan of float reels.
Tired of the guy across from me using 30 lb backing and cutting through my 6lb test like butter.
Fishing Niagara go for it.

#3 Bird

Bird

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 07:48 PM

I have fished with Centre pin for 38 years and never have had a problem ripping other guys lines. My main line is 8 lb and run from 2 to 6 florocarbon lead. Toss lures also but fishing is relaxing for me and enjoy getting on the water. Have met a number of knobs out there but 99 percent are great guys. If guys are tossing lures and i show up after them i always give them a ton of room.

#4 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:02 PM

Ha ha
Good for you paying attention.
Been drifting 40 yrs.
Not a lot of time to reel in when someone hooks up.
Just a matter of focus.

#5 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:06 PM

Float reels haven't even been out 40 yrs.
We used fly reels filled with 6lb test mono for the one on one action.
Things went retarded since . Lol

#6 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:11 PM

Even this opener a guy across from me ripped through my line.
He just looked at me with arms up looking at his backing acknowledging his guilty . Lol

#7 Bird

Bird

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:20 PM

bought my first pin in 1979 then bought my stream master in 1981 $230.00. I have been steelheading since 1966 lived on the 9 mile and did a pile of bottom bouncing and before the ladder tons of fish even used to get the odd spec down river. Doug Smiths 1st stream master 3 puece i believe is more than 40 years old will have to ask my buddy he bought one new. We all thought he was nuts he always went way up or down from everyone and most of the time outfished everyone. Anyhow i tend to go up river away from pressure. If i get fish great if not just enjoy getting out.

#8 Swing4Steel

Swing4Steel

Swing and float

• Active Members
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:27 PM

Who ever gets into their backing lol.

No experience with either reel just like the rk better by looks and Robb seems to be a good dude

#9 Bird

Bird

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:29 PM

Thanks very much i think thats what i am leaning towards.

#10 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:31 PM

Myself .
Steel since 1974.
Bottom bouncing the method.
Now a days much easier with float system
I can hook someone up first outing with float system .
Nothing against float reels.

Except the need for 12 to greater backing.

#11 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:37 PM

Shouldn't even be on the river if you rely on greater than 6lb test for bows lol.

#12 Tacklelogic

Tacklelogic

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:38 PM

Shouldn't even be on the river if you rely on greater than 6lb test for bows lol.

Shouldn't be on the river if you are using less than 6lb test for bows. You are playing them too long and increasing chance of mortality.

#13 Bird

Bird

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 09:45 PM

depends on water you fish. Some of huron tribs small water no problem going with 4 to 6 lb. Heavy water no need to go so light but clear soft water nothing wrong with going light. Lake Ontario tribs so much diffetent than Huron and also bigger fish in Ontario tribs for the most part. If you wear a fish out for any reason and cant revive good supper.

#14 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:09 PM

Float reels haven't even been out 40 yrs.
We used fly reels filled with 6lb test mono for the one on one action.
Things went retarded since . Lol

actually centrepin reels have been around for a very long time, early 12th century in chinese paintings, JW Young patented his centrepin reel in 1893.  they've been around a very long time in England, not so long here in North America

check this one out from JW Young & Sons from the 50's http://www.jwyoungs.co.uk/trudex2.htm

#15 Bird

Bird

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:12 PM

I have an old centre pin my buddy gave me it is from 1950's his dads reel from England. It even has a clicker but not much to it. I was reading also pins have been around a long time.

#16 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 10:21 PM

yea, there were two, one was a mechanical multiplier reel, which developed into the baitcaster, then there was the nottingham winch which developed into the centrepin when JW Young got a hold of it

#17 Guest_tossing iron_*

Guest_tossing iron_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:10 AM

Ha ha
With that logic yes.
Float reel just a free spooling fly reel.
Been available for centuries.

#18 jc53

jc53

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:34 AM

You sure you want a BER reel? He is getting ripped big time on ff.net and centerpintalk.
He has been building them for only a couple of years and he thinks he is the best builder out there.
Try Edwin's new Calibre reels they are sweet. I had a couple of frogs and while they are nice I was not too impressed with them

#19 staffman

staffman

Smallmouth Bass

• Active Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:11 AM

To this day I've never seen a single person ever reach their backing using a centre pin. I own a couple of Robb's reels and highly recommend them. Ber reels, IMO, won't have any resale value if you want to change reels.

#20 Bird

Bird

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 10:22 AM

Thankyou