• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Will

Will

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 12:00 PM

Hey guys - I just got a fishing kayak, so obviously I'm day-dreaming/planning my entire spring/summer/fall at work right now. Can't wait!

Just wondering if anyone has experience kayaking the Niagara Bar area? Is that a bad idea? I assume the current there is fairly strong, and if the wind and waves pick up, it can likely be pretty nasty. Is that doable on a calm morning with a kayak out of Niagara-on-the-Lake?

Thanks in advance.

#2 Bowie

Bowie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 01:50 PM

I don't have any experience in that area but be very careful if you plan on going out when the water is this cold. I would recommend a dry suit unless you know it's going to be dead calm, even then, accidents happen.

#3 Will

Will

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:09 PM

Yeah thanks man. Definitely scares me a bit even in the summer. But I can't imagine a better place within 1.5 hrs of Kitchener to have that availability of size and species. So a dry suit and skirt are on my shopping list:)

#4 troutddicted

troutddicted

Bouts with trouts

• Moderators
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:47 PM

Interested to hear what else can be said about this, the idea has crossed my mind before

#5 Porkpie

Porkpie

Sunfish

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:45 AM

Well, I'm not a kayak expert, but I know a thing or 2 about Lake Ontario. You wouldn't catch me out on the big lake mid winter in a tiny rig like a kayak. The lake is unpredictable, and can be unforgiving in July. In the middle of the winter it will kill you quickly if something goes wrong. Maybe get a little experience under your belt, and then check it out in the summer first, and prep yourself for next year!

#6 Hucho Hucho

Hucho Hucho

Crappie

• Active Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:45 AM

Stay away from Niagara man. Not safe even for pro kayakers.

#7 FrequentFlyer

FrequentFlyer

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:14 AM

Stay away from Niagara man. Not safe even for pro kayakers.

depends on where you are on the river

heres and article about places to kayak on the niagara. http://www.stcathari...laces-to-paddle

When it comes to getting out on the water, Niagara’s options are endless.

From the calm waters of the Welland recreational canal to the often-wavy shores of Lake Erie, there’s something for paddlers of every level.

“It’s very good, provided what you’re interested in is day trips. Niagara doesn’t provide any opportunities for overnight trips like what you’ll get when you travel further up north, but in terms of pure variety it’s excellent,” said Jamie Bingham, author of a local guidebook Paddling in Niagara.

There are three main types of watercraft to choose from, each with their own benefits.

Though they’re becoming less popular, canoes are the oldest of the three and are a good option for families. You can pack lots of stuff into them and still have room for the family dog to come along for the ride.

Standup paddleboards are the newest type, having just started gaining in popularity in the past few years. They’re great for individuals and for short trips where you don’t need to bring anything with you.

Kayaks are the most popular of the three and offer more variety in terms of size of boat, the number of people they can hold and the type of water they’re best suited for.

Bingham, who runs Outdoors Oriented in St. Catharines, said fewer people are shopping for canoes or large kayaks designed for overnight trips these days.

“People are a lot busier, they have less time off so they can’t necessarily do those longer trips they used to. They’re looking for something they can do for a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon,” he said.

No matter which of the three boat options you prefer, there are lots of good paddling spots to pick from.

“For the most part, any of the waterways are suitable for any of the three. The waterways don’t limit you in terms of which craft you want to take,” Bingham said.

While there are dozens of potential paddling spots ranging from small creeks to our two bordering lakes, here are five of Bingham’s favourite paddling options, in no particular order:

— Jordan Harbour Conservation Area: The best spot in terms of access, you can literally park feet from the water. The harbour itself is typically protected from the wind, but offers the option to venture out onto Lake Ontario or further south along 20 Mile Creek into Jordan.

— Lake Erie near Point Abino: A popular spot for surfing, the Lake Erie shoreline near Fort Erie and Port Colborne can be a fun and challenging spot to paddle. Make it a quick trip near your starting spot or a long day trip to the east or west. Snap a photo of the picturesque Point Abino Lighthouse as you paddle by.

— Lower Niagara River: The river from Queenston to where it flows into Lake Ontario is scenic and another great paddling location. There’s a current heading toward the lake, so either use a vehicle shuttle and take a one-way trip downstream, or start in Niagara-on-the-Lake and paddle against the current for the first half of the trip and enjoy the easy trip back home.

— Welland Recreational Canal: Start off at the flatwater centre and head toward the Main St. Bridge or Hwy. 406. Either way, the water is extremely calm, making it a fantastic spot for beginners and kids, or for the racing types looking to get a solid training workout. It’s some of the cleanest water in Niagara and no motorized boats are allowed, which is a bonus for paddlers.

— Navy Island: For more experienced paddlers, the round trip to Navy Island and back in the upper Niagara River is a good route. You’re only a few kilometres from the brink of the Horseshoe Falls, so some caution should be used, but the trip around Navy Island offers great views and is perfectly safe for most. Launch at Chippawa or somewhere along the Niagara River and circle the island, but stepping foot on the land itself is illegal.

Former St. Catharines Standard reporter Dan Dakin is a senior editor with Canadian Cycling Magazine and a contributor to Canadian Running Magazine. Contact him at dandakinmedia@gmail.com.

and there is this.......

#8 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:15 AM

You best have a few seasons of dealing with Lake Ontario under all kinds of conditions from spring to fall until you tackle the bar in the winter...and even then, I think it's pretty foolish to go 1.5km into Lake Ontario when hypothermia can kill you faster than the time it takes for the rescue crew to respond and reach you.

#9 DILLIGAF?!

DILLIGAF?!

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 11:36 AM

just when you think it's safe...it might not

BGB%2BJames%2BButler%2BRichard%2BGrant%2

protect yourself at all times.

#10 Will

Will

Sunfish

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:08 PM

Thanks for the input guys. It's definitely something that I would take a ton of care in if I ever went through with it during cold weather/water. Pretty pumped to try that area out mid-summer at the very least. I've been paddling on a lot of wilderness trips in very remote parts of northern ontario....but big water and instant hypothermia have never been part of the equation.

#11 NADO

NADO

Unaccomplished Steelheader

• Moderators
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:47 PM

I tried it once in my Mariner 12.5 that has a drive system and it was a very tough go. We had just had a few weeks of sustained rain and i'm not sure if that had anything to do with it but battling the current was a full time job. While "dead drifting" I was moving at over 2km per hour and coming back against the current to start a new drift I was only able to get up to 2km per hour. Most of the day was spent battling the current and it was very difficult to fish, maybe it would be better in the winter or mid summer when there is less current. I will definitely give it another try some day to see if I just went on a high current day, even the boats out that day didn't stay very long.

Waves are definitely nasty out there when they combine forces with the current, if you do go I would suggest at least getting in a few trips on other parts of the lake to give you a taste of what big water is like before taking on the bar. I've spent many days 5+ km off shore in rough water and the bar still managed to put a scare in me at times.

#12 MuskieBait

MuskieBait

Perch

• Active Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 12:51 PM

One way you can do it, if you want to really do it in the winter, is buddy boat with a boater. That way, at least you'll have someone who can assist in the immediate area. If the weather turns on you, you can always hop on the buddy boat and tow the yak back.

Yakers like yaking because of the solitude...but sometimes (no, let me rephrase...all the time), a buddy system is best on big waters.

#13 Fishheads

Fishheads

Float Fishing Superstore

• Active Members
  • 754 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:54 PM

im going to go on record saying this is a bad idea. There is SO MUCH WATER and FISH outside of Niagara... don't be a hero and go after the mighty, especially if you just bought a new kayak.