Photo

New in Canada! Looking forward for my first fish!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cesarc

cesarc

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 07:15 PM

Hi everybody! I just moved to Canada from Argentina. I'm looking forward to go fly fishing in any of the thousands of lakes and streams that are around me, but honestly I don't even know where to start! I'm used to a completely different environment, mainly small streams in the Andes mountains, and lakes and rivers in Patagonia. Also, there are just trouts there. I'm amazed with the pictures that I've seen of the voracious monsters that inhabit these waters (like pikes and muskies). I can't imagine how much fun must be catch one of them.

If you can give me any advice, I would be very thankful. Of course, I would love to share some time in the water too!

I'm living 40 km south-west of Peterborough, in Campbellcroft.

I'll attach I picture so you can see where I come from and the type of fishing that I am used too.

Thanks!

Attached Images

• 11021256_10205453821922969_8989412442566346398_n.jpg

#2 PUMP KNOWS

PUMP KNOWS

Rainbow Trout

• Active Members
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:26 PM

Welcome to OFF!

I hope you find what you're looking for

#3 JCRG

JCRG

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:01 PM

Welcome, send me a message if you want to get out sometime. Going to Buenos Aires in April, hoping to get into some Dorados

#4 Huronfly

Huronfly

Sunfish

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:35 PM

You are so lucky to have grown up fishing Patagonia, that is soon to be a destination for me! We have a plethora of fish to target on the fly: Pike, Musky, Bass, Lake/Brook/Brown/Rainbow trout, Salmon, Steelhead, carp, walleye, the list goes on...You will find yourself right at home fishing trout in rivers like the grand, saugeen, credit, and nottawasaga. I'm not sure what kind of gear you have but fish like steelhead, salmon, pike, and musky require a bit heavier gear than your standard trout outfit. A 7-8 weight for steelhead, an 8-10 weight for pike(I use 10 for big flies for pike and musky), and probably at least a 9 weight for muskies... A growing trend here for steelheading is spey fishing, which is super fun, I highly recommend you at least give it a try!

Ill be looking for advice for fishing Patagonia in the future so don't go anywhere! If you decide to fish towards Lake Huron drop me a line. Best of luck and have fun!

#5 cesarc

cesarc

Shiner Minnow

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 04:07 PM

You are so lucky to have grown up fishing Patagonia, that is soon to be a destination for me! We have a plethora of fish to target on the fly: Pike, Musky, Bass, Lake/Brook/Brown/Rainbow trout, Salmon, Steelhead, carp, walleye, the list goes on...You will find yourself right at home fishing trout in rivers like the grand, saugeen, credit, and nottawasaga. I'm not sure what kind of gear you have but fish like steelhead, salmon, pike, and musky require a bit heavier gear than your standard trout outfit. A 7-8 weight for steelhead, an 8-10 weight for pike(I use 10 for big flies for pike and musky), and probably at least a 9 weight for muskies... A growing trend here for steelheading is spey fishing, which is super fun, I highly recommend you at least give it a try!

Ill be looking for advice for fishing Patagonia in the future so don't go anywhere! If you decide to fish towards Lake Huron drop me a line. Best of luck and have fun!

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely need heavier equipment for the big ones.
I'll try spey casting in the future too. If you are used to it, you might be able to use it in some places of Patagonia, like Rio Grande and Strobel Lake, where the wind is very intense and constant.
I'll let you know if I have the chance to go to Lake Huron.
Thanks!