• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 daveyl

daveyl

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 10:10 PM

Hi folks, new to this or any forum. I'm looking for some help/advice. I bought a new boat at the end of last summer and can wait to get her out this spring. I've already booked my May 24 weekend for Walleye and Pike, however I'd like to get out before then, in April, to try my luck with Trout. This is not my forte as I usually fish for Walleye, Pike, and Bass. 

I'd like to hit a smaller lake - no big water - and cast, jig or troll in shallower waters. Location would be a reasonable drive (2 hrs or so) from Guelph, KW area. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

#2 ApacheFishingVentures

ApacheFishingVentures

Sunfish

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:05 AM

Welcome to OFF! If quantity and the potential for a nice little brookie feast is what you're after, I would check out the Ontario stocking lists for 2016 and look for lakes in the Muskokas, Algonquin highlands or Kawarthas that have been stocked with a couple thousand brook trout in the 15-20cm size range. Off the top of my head I can think of the east Jennie lakes and Clayton lake in the Algonquin highlands just past Dorset. Stocked with brookies every other year, this will be the kind of lake to produce a nice little trout trip. Generally easy water to read and fairly simple trout tactics to catch them: (Ie. Spinners, small spoons, float and worm, dry flies, nypmhs, minnow imitating streamers and or soft plastics). Ps. Not so sure you can get a boat in the lakes i mentioned so definitely do some research for boat accessible stocked lakes. If it it lakers you are looking for, there are small lakes in he Muskokas and Kawarthas with lakers and splake that would more than likely be in the shallows to cast to this time of year. Best of luck! Let us know how you make out.

#3 fishfreek

fishfreek

Perch

• Active Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 10:52 AM

Why wait till May ? Zone 17 pike is open.

#4 daveyl

daveyl

Earthworm

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 08:48 PM

Thanks for that info, I found the website and interactive map for Lake Stocking in Ontario. What a great tool. Searching for an appropriate lake with boat access. 

#5 ApacheFishingVentures

ApacheFishingVentures

Sunfish

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 07:30 AM

Thanks for that info, I found the website and interactive map for Lake Stocking in Ontario. What a great tool. Searching for an appropriate lake with boat access. 

No problem at all Davey! That's what were all here for, Good luck!